06-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Phone CRK tomorrow and ask for advice.

06-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #92
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Wowzers - maybe I got excited too soon :-(

I finally had the chance to unpack the camera and test it... And guess what? I can't get the body cap off... Am pressing the release button and the cap won't budge. Not sure what could be causing that. Don't think the cap looks cross-threaded or pushed in somehow from a blow in transit on its way back to me. Am hoping it's just some minor reluctance which can be freed with a knack. Any suggestions anyone???
Are you sure you are pressing the release button? I had to ask...

But please tell where the dot on the cap is located. I once pushed it past itīs stop... It should be straight up.
06-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I finally had the chance to unpack the camera and test it... And guess what? I can't get the body cap off... Am pressing the release button and the cap won't budge. Not sure what could be causing that. Don't think the cap looks cross-threaded or pushed in somehow from a blow in transit on its way back to me. Am hoping it's just some minor reluctance which can be freed with a knack. Any suggestions anyone???
Filter wrench? The body cap is plastic, so it will give before the mount obviously
06-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

When the Ricoh pin got stuck on K mount lenses I had to insert a spark plug feeler gauge between lens mount and body mount. This might work here. The plastic cap sure doesn't fit as tightly as a metal lens mount. I'd ask C.R. Kennedy 1st.
Good luck,
barondla

06-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

spray a small amount of alcohol on it and use steady force both ways ,also push in on it as doing so. Otherwise possible a hair dryer with a small amount of heat.JUST be GENTLE
06-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #96
Unregistered User

I would refrain from using liquids or excessive force. There are parts inside, the contacts, the aperture lever etc that easily can be ruined... But to push the cap towards the body, pressing the button and wiggle the cap back and forth sounds like a good idea.
06-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Pressing the lens release button actuates a tiny metal tab precisely in the six position. When pressed, the tab withdraws, allowing rotational motion of the thread of the body cap (or lens). Hope this helps. Photos sent.

06-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for your wonderful help and ideas.

This morning (Aus time), I took the camera to a local camera shop to see if they could remove the body cap for me. This they did. When it was removed, the reason for the stuck cap became very clear... The lens mount on the camera is badly bent. This has to be due to a heavy knock in transit. The Pentax repair facility in the Philippines must have had the cap off and mounted a lens to test the camera after the repair, so it cannot have been damaged at that time. But it was as soon as I received it - ergo, in can only have occurred in transit.

I am beyond frustrated by this. Having received such a good service throughout the whole process and got so excited about being back in action, it's quite a blow.

[IMG][/IMG]
06-11-2020, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

This morning (Aus time), I took the camera to a local camera shop to see if they could remove the body cap for me. This they did. When it was removed, the reason for the stuck cap became very clear... The lens mount on the camera is badly bent. This has to be due to a heavy knock in transit. The Pentax repair facility in the Philippines must have had the cap off and mounted a lens to test the camera after the repair, so it cannot have been damaged at that time. But it was as soon as I received it - ergo, in can only have occurred in transit.

I am beyond frustrated by this. Having received such a good service throughout the whole process and got so excited about being back in action, it's quite a blow.

[/url][/IMG]
Oh no! What a shame. This really sucks.
So sorry to see this,
barondla
06-11-2020, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[/url][/IMG]
Ed, Sharing your frustration.... From the picture it looks beyond a simple repair job. Images of repairing bent rims on car tyres that hit a sidewalk came to my mind. Obviously wont work to get a sledge hammer involved. I really hope you get this resolved.
06-11-2020, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/url][/IMG]
Have them send you the mount, you can surely put it on your camera. wow what a let down sorry mate
06-11-2020, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Ed,
I just happened across this thread during lunch and saw the photo. WTF!?
Did the service facility insure the camera for damage in transit?

Really, I'm horrified at the damage caused. You must have a great more patience and restraint than me — I'd do my block!!
What about CR Kennedy in Melbourne? Is there any service or parts availability there for the camera? Or...thinking of other repair facilities, Vintech in Melbourne CBD?

I sure hope you can get this sorted out quickly. From the thread timeline, the saga appears to have dragged its feet through a quagmire for more time than I would put up with. May the force be with you!
06-11-2020, 09:32 PM - 2 Likes   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your messages of support guys. I have to confess, I am utterly banjaxed by this turn of events. It's that feeling of being impotent in the face of capricious fate that I cannot cope with - all I can do is send it right back to C.R. Kennedy and wait an unknown amount of time for a resolution, while numerous photographic opportunities pass me by... That's what's killing me!

In answer to some of the more specific points above, I actually don't think (until now) that it has been going on for a long time. Given the unfortunate fact that a 645Z shutter replacement can't be done within Australia (I still think Pentax should make sure it can be, but still...), going from the problem first occurring to having it fixed in the Philippines and back with me in just over a month strikes me as very good going, especially during a pandemic. I truly have no complaint about the speed or responsiveness of service in relation to C.R. Kennedy in this case. None whatever.

Re. liability and who might help, to their credit, C.R. Kennedy are taking full responsibility for this damage. Whether the damage occurred while it was directly with them (which seems highly unlikely), with Pentax in the Philippines, while being shipped from Pentax to C.R. Kennedy or while being shipped from C.R. Kennedy to me, all of those options lie within the responsibility that C.R. Kennedy have to me; my responsibility only starts after I receive it. They are acting as Pentax's agent; all shipping was organised either by them or by Pentax. So, however the damage exactly took place, it seems to have been accepted by C.R. Kennedy that it's in no way my responsibility. C.R. Kennedy are responsible to me. No doubt, Pentax, courier companies and others are responsible to them (but that's not my affair).

It would be grossly unreasonable for C.R. Kennedy to ask me to take this up with the couriers that they engaged, with Pentax, or with the couriers that Pentax engaged. Thankfully, there's no suggestion of that. So I really have no complaints as far as taking responsibility is concerned. My main concern is that the bloody camera is still not with me! As we speak, it's on its way back to C.R. Kennedy in Melbourne, so we shall see what happens. They can replace a lens mount themselves. If that's all that's damaged, I may have it back fairly soon. If there is damage to parts other than the mount (which is possible/probable, given the obvious force involved in the impact), they may or may not have to send it to the Philippines again. And then, God knows how long I will continue to be without it...

Silent Street: As for my patience and restraint, let me assure you that I lack both of those estimable qualities. Just ask my wife what I was like last night when I first discovered the jammed body cap! I refused to be around her or anyone else all evening, preferring to growl and stare into space; I barely slept all night and was about as approachable as a psychotic bear. I advised her to leave me alone, lest I upset her with my general grouchiness, so just stewed in my own pit of despair. But I can't shout at the person I deal with at C.R. Kennedy, who has already moved Heaven and Earth to get the camera back to me quickly. It's not his fault. And I need his help now anyway ;-)

Meanwhile, there is (of course) a very good forecast for astro photography for Sunday and Monday nights and I will be missing that. Who could ever compensate me for lost pictures that I will never get to take?

Ed

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 06-11-2020 at 09:47 PM.
06-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Ed, after all this time I'm sorry to hear that your precious baby has been damaged in transit.
So sorry. Keep us posted.
06-11-2020, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Ed, after all this time I'm sorry to hear that your precious baby has been damaged in transit.
So sorry. Keep us posted.
Thanks, my friend. Especially for your most helpful messages earlier today. They were much appreciated, even if (in this case) they didn't allow a swift and happy resolution. Your kindness is even greater than your considerable talent!