Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2020, 03:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

645Z calamity - advice sought

Hello all,

Today, I was out in my local area, when my 645Z stopped working properly. The camera is still electronically alive, but it will no longer successfully capture an image - just a blank file. Live view also produces a blank screen.

I don't know if this suggests a dead shutter, a dead sensor or something else (is the shutter involved in live view?).

Any advice eagerly sought! Especially since, at this time, getting it looked at and repaired from Australia may prove difficult.

In the meantime, no camera!

Thanks in advance,
Ed

05-08-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Hello all,

Today, I was out in my local area, when my 645Z stopped working properly. The camera is still electronically alive, but it will no longer successfully capture an image - just a blank file. Live view also produces a blank screen.

I don't know if this suggests a dead shutter, a dead sensor or something else (is the shutter involved in live view?).

Any advice eagerly sought! Especially since, at this time, getting it looked at and repaired from Australia may prove difficult.

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Bummer. When camera sensor cleaning is activated with lens off, do you see the sensor? If so that means the shutter is opening and probably working. You could also shoot a manual 1 second exposure, with lens off, to check mirror and shutter operation.

If mirror and shutter are working correctly the problem could be in the electronics or chip. Have you viewed the SD card on a computer to rule out a problem with the camera's screen/playback system?

Try resetting the camera back to factory settings. If it's broken theres no point sending it in for repair yet. My DFA 35mm lens has been waiting for shipment to the US via Auspost since April 24th. Hasn't moved an inch. Good luck.
Thanks,
barondla
05-08-2020, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ed, i've nothing to add from a technical perspective, but wishing your Z a very speedy recovery.
Good luck, mate!
05-08-2020, 04:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Oh no!

I believe CRK are still operating. Check with them about repairs.

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the battery?

05-08-2020, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In addition to Barondla's suggestions:
- take a "dark frame" e.g. a photo with the lens cap on. (or in a dark room). See if it is mostly black, with a bit of noise.
- if there are known "dirt spots" on the sensor are they showing up on a "light" frame that is mostly white?

- remove the battery, let it sit for 5 mins, replace with a fully charged battery
- try a new SD card. Format it in camera.
- Check live view operation and mirror lockup.
Did it fail when you turned it on, or just after taking another photo?
Any error codes or weird indications in the optical viewfinder or on the LCD ?
Has the camera been dropped? On an airplane? Static zapped? High or low temperatures?
05-08-2020, 05:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello all,

Today, I was out in my local area, when my 645Z stopped working properly.
This is terrible, Ed, for you and us! Could you please be more specific about exactly what happened when it happened....sequence, & etc.?
05-08-2020, 05:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a long shot but is it possible that the memory card is the one causing the problems?

05-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you decide to get it looked at I would ask about sending to Japan.
05-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I'm not saying this is your problem but I had something similar on my K-1 last year. Would turn on, screen would go blank, but it would not capture images (that is a brief summary of it anyway). Bottom line was when sent to Precision (in the USA) for repair, they basically replaced the main board in the camera. As they are never very verbose as to what was wrong, I can only conclude that something on the main board fried. So...given that the z is a different camera than a K-1, who knows? But, sounds kinda like what happened to me. Best of luck with that.
05-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, I'm not saying this is your problem but I had something similar on my K-1 last year. Would turn on, screen would go blank, but it would not capture images (that is a brief summary of it anyway). Bottom line was when sent to Precision (in the USA) for repair, they basically replaced the main board in the camera. As they are never very verbose as to what was wrong, I can only conclude that something on the main board fried. So...given that the z is a different camera than a K-1, who knows? But, sounds kinda like what happened to me. Best of luck with that.
I'd be willing to bet that replacing the main board is something they do without really trying to troubleshoot the problem. The part and the labor to replace it is probably less than extended diagnostic time.

But what I'm hearing from Ed is that the electronics work. Does that include the menu display on the main screen? I'm assuming so from his description, which I read to mean that everything works except that no image is actually recorded or visible. That would suggest to me that either the shutter is not opening (easily checked with dry firing with the lens removed), the mirror is not raising (ditto), or the sensor or its specific control circuitry is faulty. That may or may not involve the main board, which certainly is not the only possibility.

Rick "repairs are probably a flat rate" Denney
05-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have my sympathy. I will note that I discovered one day that my Z had 'stopped working.' Turned out after considerable flailing that I had forgotten to return the #1 sim card to the camera after pulling data from it. Perhaps a failed sim card could cause the same effect.
05-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
Unregistered User

Hello all,

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Oh no, sounds like my lovely old Fuji camera. If it is really a blank (white) screen it looks like the sensor has given up. Most of the time if there is a malfunction you get a black screen or image is my experience. But a white screen is the equivalent of BSOD in a computer. I hope that I am wrong, but be prepared for the worst. My Fuji was, as you put it, electronically very alive, it showed old pictures, but new pictures where blank and so was live view. So I concluded it was the sensor and unfortunately Fuji did not want to repair it, the camera was in their opinion not worth it and there was also a question of the sensor probably no longer being available.
05-08-2020, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My heartfelt thanks to you all for your wonderful replies, sympathy and ideas to assist. I have been asleep since posting my message, dreaming dark dreams of a world without a camera!

I will try out the ideas and suggestions above today (when the kids allow it!) and report back.

You guys are all amazing :-)
05-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #14

Ed, I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I hope you can get it resolved as quickly and as painlessly as possible. I have been having some issues with my 645z as well. Precision Camera wants $900 just to check it out and I'm not sure if I want to put that kind of cash into it. Not sure what to do at this point.
05-09-2020, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right, having followed all of the guidance above, I think I have established that the problem is the shutter not opening. The camera functions electronically. The display works well for reviewing older images. The mirror opens and closes as normal. But the shutter is utterly motionless. So the repair seems do-able. The only thing is that getting these things fixed from Australia takes an extended period, even in normal times - let alone during a pandemic. So we shall see how long I am without it in this case... I am assuming that C.R. Kennedy is my only option in Australia (acting as Pentax's agent) to get this repaired.

Thanks everyone again for your magnificent advice and support. I am feeling slightly calmer now than I did last night, though I will be without my beloved camera for an unknown period of time...

By the way, to answer the questions above about what happened, I was shooting the moon and a coastal scene near by my home. The camera was working as normal for various shots, then - without warning - the camera simply stopped recording anything other than apparently blank files. The sound changed (I now realise it was the absence of shutter noise, though the mirror still worked). I tried with and without cable release, I demounted and remounted the lens (and tried other lenses), I removed the battery and replaced it, I took the memory cards out and replaced them with others. All to no avail. I now realise why...