Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How difficult is it to use a non Pentax lens on the 645Z?

I've only shot 645 & 6X7 (with adapter) lenses on the 645Z. Even manual focus lenses are easy. Now I'm thinking of trying a Carl Zeiss Jena mc 180 2.8 Sonnar. Obviously manual focus. Guessing it will be stop down metering? Does the green button work?
Thanks,
barondla

05-11-2020, 10:45 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a CZJ 180/2.8 Sonnar on a 645Z--a late model multicoated version but not the latest, dating from the late 70's. Yes, you stop it down for metering and exposing. I use aperture-priority (Av) or manual (with flash or an external meter, but usually Av) and let it set the shutter speed. Or TAv and let it set the ISO.

I never use the green button so I can't answer that.

Focus confirmation works great, but I also have a microprism screen (from an NII) that is accurate, too. I do my focusing wide open.

My adapter was made by DVDTechnik (aka Hartblei, or at least the same bunch of technicians in Kiev) and it's a little fiddly, but as long as I'm attentive not to force things it works fine.

(made with the Sonnar at f/4)

I have a Hasseblad compendium shade mounted on it. The shade uses a 95mm filter ring, but the plastic shade that comes with the Sonnar is mounted on an 86-95 adapter already, so it's an easy application. I set this up for use with studio lights, and the compendium shade is especially effective in that application.

I have lots of lenses in the Pentacon Six mount, but the Sonnar is one of only a few I would consider using with the Pentax. The Arsat Fisheye is another, and maybe, under certain circumstances, the 55mm Arsat PCS shift lens. The Pentax lenses are sharper, but lack the creamy rendering of the Sonnar.

Rick "nothing provides the creamy rendering of that Sonnar" Denney
05-12-2020, 12:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote

Here is a CZJ 180/2.8 Sonnar on a 645Z--a late model multicoated version but not the latest, dating from the late 70's. Yes, you stop it down for metering and exposing. I use aperture-priority (Av) or manual (with flash or an external meter, but usually Av) and let it set the shutter speed. Or TAv and let it set the ISO.

I never use the green button so I can't answer that.

Focus confirmation works great, but I also have a microprism screen (from an NII) that is accurate, too. I do my focusing wide open.

My adapter was made by DVDTechnik (aka Hartblei, or at least the same bunch of technicians in Kiev) and it's a little fiddly, but as long as I'm attentive not to force things it works fine.

(made with the Sonnar at f/4)

I have a Hasseblad compendium shade mounted on it. The shade uses a 95mm filter ring, but the plastic shade that comes with the Sonnar is mounted on an 86-95 adapter already, so it's an easy application. I set this up for use with studio lights, and the compendium shade is especially effective in that application.

I have lots of lenses in the Pentacon Six mount, but the Sonnar is one of only a few I would consider using with the Pentax. The Arsat Fisheye is another, and maybe, under certain circumstances, the 55mm Arsat PCS shift lens. The Pentax lenses are sharper, but lack the creamy rendering of the Sonnar.

Rick "nothing provides the creamy rendering of that Sonnar" Denney
Thanks for the info. Your bokeh test introduced me to the 180. Searching for more tech info pulled up one for sale already adapted to Pentax 645.

Thanks,
barondla
05-12-2020, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a small adapter ring that I use some Hasselblad / Zeiss V lenses on the 645. Am pleased with the results.

05-16-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I shot for a while using a Canon 1Ds when it was new, using mostly Nikon manual focus lenses via an adapter. The Stop-Down shooting method sounds like a PIA, but it really isn't all that bad. Well, when not in a hurry anyway.

Stan
05-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the info. Didn't purchase the CZ 180. It was mislabeled as multicoated while being the older single coated version. I offered $20 less and seller corrected the ad but didn't bother to answer my offer. Sticking with Pentax lenses for now

Thanks,
barondla