Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Those with the focusing ring on the 6x7 lenses, how do you like it?

Iím thinking about getting the focusing ring for the 105mm lens but Iím wondering if itís actually worth it. When I was taking pictures it did seem like it was a bit slow to focus it manually, but I thought Iíd get some opinions on it before I purchased one. Thanks all!

06-08-2020, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noosa, Queensland (Dec-Feb)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,056
It is supposedly to provide very fine, accurate focusing, but this is achievable by anybody with experience. Aside from rarely being seen today, if you really fancy something sticking off the lens barrel, just buy a couple of heavy duty, releaseable cable ties and secure two of these to the barrel in opposing directions. It may look primitive, but it is surprisingly effective, like using a cable tie to tie a daughter's unwieldly ponytail in place, ready for school.
06-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
It is supposedly to provide very fine, accurate focusing, but this is achievable by anybody with experience. Aside from rarely being seen today, if you really fancy something sticking off the lens barrel, just buy a couple of heavy duty, releaseable cable ties and secure two of these to the barrel in opposing directions. It may look primitive, but it is surprisingly effective, like using a cable tie to tie a daughter's unwieldly ponytail in place, ready for school.
Thatís really interesting! Might you have a picture of a contraption like that?
06-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noosa, Queensland (Dec-Feb)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,056
QuoteOriginally posted by Gcrowder16 Quote
Thatís really interesting! Might you have a picture of a contraption like that?
At the moment around the workshop I only have aggressive stainless steel, non-releasable cable ties (used for plumbing). Don't use these if you come across them, as shiny and tempting as they are, as they must be removed with specialist cutting tools. Bonus for the abundantly available plastic ones is they come in myriad colours to match your wires, your lens or your fancy!!

06-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,993
QuoteOriginally posted by Gcrowder16 Quote
Iím thinking about getting the focusing ring for the 105mm lens but Iím wondering if itís actually worth it. When I was taking pictures it did seem like it was a bit slow to focus it manually, but I thought Iíd get some opinions on it before I purchased one. Thanks all!
Welcome to the forum!

Just a note there are two versions (Type A & B) of the 6x7 quick focus ring and they fit different lenses.

You will need Type A for the P/T 105/2.4.

Phil.
06-09-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 9,097
If you use the wooden grip, the focus ring makes more sense by allowing you focus with your fingers on the hand that's holding the wooden grip thereby allowing your other hand to both remain on the shutter button and support the camera with two hands. Otherwise, the wooden grip tends to make you focus with your shutter button hand while having to support all the weight of the cantilevered camera body with your wooden grip hand. With no wooden grip, I really don't see how the focus ring makes fine focusing easier because you can hold the camera differently (center supported) and focus with the same hand too. YMMV.

Last edited by tuco; 06-09-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, medium format
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your vehicle: what do you have, why do you like it, and what do you not like? Auzzie-Phoenix General Talk 2301 01-13-2021 08:53 PM
Confession game: how many lenses do you have? Why do you keep them? Which was let go? Bui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 140 11-01-2020 02:05 PM
Which lenses do you use for portraits or do you recommend? Kaisas Pentax Full Frame 91 03-08-2019 04:12 PM
What do you like to do with all those pictures? daacon Photographic Technique 26 03-30-2010 09:55 PM
Do you name your lenses like you name your kids????..I do jackbullet Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 08-03-2009 05:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top