Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2020, 12:51 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Share, Singh-Ray Gold & Blue Polarizer Images on Medium Format

Anyone use the Singh-Ray Gold & Blue Polarizer on their digital or film medium format cameras? The results can be unusually striking. Sometimes other worldly. The files below took some editing in camera raw but the top looks like a sunset image. In actuality, the sun was behind me and to the left. This was at Kensington Metropark in Milford, Michigan. The second image is on the Detroit River by Grosse Isle, Michigan again shows the effect the G&B has on water. Twist the polarizer ring and what's blue would become gold.

If you use this filter or another G&B polarizer, if there is one, let's share some of the results from this unusually good but expensive filter.

IMGP0642 as Smart Object-1 EMAIL.jpg

IMGP0582 as Smart Object-1.jpg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
06-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 72ndPoolShark Quote
Anyone use the Singh-Ray Gold & Blue Polarizer on their digital or film medium format cameras? The results can be unusually striking. Sometimes other worldly. The files below took some editing in camera raw but the top looks like a sunset image. In actuality, the sun was behind me and to the left. This was at Kensington Metropark in Milford, Michigan. The second image is on the Detroit River by Grosse Isle, Michigan again shows the effect the G&B has on water. Twist the polarizer ring and what's blue would become gold.

If you use this filter or another G&B polarizer, if there is one, let's share some of the results from this unusually good but expensive filter.

IMGP0642 as Smart Object-1 EMAIL.jpg

IMGP0582 as Smart Object-1.jpg
Cool filter. Love the first image. The colors are beautiful. Interesting how the scene changes color when rotated.

Believe Cokin makes gold and blue polarizing filters. I may have one from years ago. Now to figure out where it is. I appreciate the reminder.

Thanks,
barondla
06-22-2020, 10:16 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too have one of these and totally forgot I owned it. Yes, I remember having some fun with it many years ago. Will need to put it in the bag soon.

Just found a couple of oldies

Martin's Beach

Last edited by mikeSF; 06-23-2020 at 02:41 PM.
06-23-2020, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments guys and for the image share MikeSF.

Here's another from that day at Kensington Metropark; one many out takes. Please ignore my friend fishing (at first glance it looks like he's doing something else). This image also shows the 'manufactured' sunset with the actual sun behind and to the left, taken around 3pm.
IMGP0654 as Smart Object-1.jpg

The G&B polarizer has a way with bronze statues as well. This composite of Ty Cobb statue below was photographed at Tigers, Comerica Park in the afternoon with this polarizer. I wish I had the statue shot without the G&B to compare, but without it would come out just all brown and the gold highlights wouldn't be there at all.

Mid afternoon is a hard time to get interesting shots with good detail. But with the 645z and this polarizer, I find that problem is mostly solved.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by 72ndPoolShark; 06-23-2020 at 03:40 PM.
06-23-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's clear i haven't used mine in 8 years, mainly because i forgot. So, i'm promising to pull it out and try to do something with it in July. Thanks for posting this thread, 72ndPoolShark!!

barondia, mine is the cokin version too. I recall it dd magic things with seascapes but I was at a loss for finding utility in other scenarios.
I also have the cokin red/blue filter and I have been able to find no good use for that anywhere.

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 02:54 PM ----------

The G&B polarizer has a way with bronze statues as well. This composite of Ty Cobb ....
wow, i can totally see what the filter is doing for that bronze statue. great tip!

Here's another oldie where the blues really went deep and dark using the filter. There wasn't much for the gold effect to grab onto, tho:
Richmond Bridge Blue Hour (Explore #28)
06-23-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I haven't tried Cokin's version but the Singh-Ray is a circular polarizer. With your blue hour bridge shot with the Singh-Ray I think would keep the blue but also have caused the non polarized light to go towards gold and create new detail not picked up by the sensor alone. Example, would be the wet foreground rocks would exchange between blue and gold in reflections.

I think I need to get out and do a bronze statue comparison. If there's any true high end glass 'effects' filter, I think this filter takes it. You turn the ring and likely to see something totally different and then infinite amount of variations in between.

Last edited by 72ndPoolShark; 06-23-2020 at 04:24 PM.
06-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't tried Cokin's version but the Singh-Ray is a circular polarizer. With your blue hour bridge shot with the Singh-Ray I think would keep the blue but also have caused the non polarized light to go towards gold and create new detail not picked up by the sensor alone. Example, would be the wet foreground rocks would exchange between blue and gold in reflections.

I think I need to get out and do a bronze statue comparison. If there's any true high end glass 'effects' filter, I think this filter takes it. You turn the ring and likely to see something totally different and then infinite amount of variations in between.
The cokin version does the same, as it is also a polarizer. In fact, it appears to be two polarized layers of glass fused together. I know this because I just dropped mine and it broke. Aw crap.
06-23-2020, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your comments guys and for the image share MikeSF.

Here's another from that day at Kensington Metropark; one many out takes. Please ignore my friend fishing (at first glance it looks like he's doing something else). This image also shows the 'manufactured' sunset with the actual sun behind and to the left, taken around 3pm.
IMGP0654 as Smart Object-1.jpg

The G&B polarizer has a way with bronze statues as well. This composite of Ty Cobb statue below was photographed at Tigers, Comerica Park in the afternoon with this polarizer. I wish I had the statue shot without the G&B to compare, but without it would come out just all brown and the gold highlights wouldn't be there at all.

Mid afternoon is a hard time to get interesting shots with good detail. But with the 645z and this polarizer, I find that problem is mostly solved.
Singh-Ray filter does wonders with bronze statues. My bronze shots always look blah. Can't wait to try some statues. Since polarizers can't be replicated in software, it shouldn't be possible to copy these effects in post processing.

My Cokin is # P173 B,Y and is one of the strange round filters in a square frame for the P holder. The square filters do not vignette on the 35mm lens, but the 82mm adapter ring is as large as the P series can handle. A little worried about getting the round part of the filter perfectly centered in the square holder. We shall see.

Another fun filter is the Enhancing filter that uses rare earth Didymium glass. It removes part of the color spectrum and makes red. orange, yellow and rusty brown pop. Only have that in 55mm so it will have to play on the K-1.

Thanks,
barondla

06-23-2020, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

before I retire my now cracked blue/yellow polarizer forever, I went out to the pool and shot the water surface to show a quick comparison of the effect. It definitely works best with shiny surfaces (as does any polarizer).
check it out...
btw the second image is the Cokin blue/red polarizer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
06-24-2020, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
before I retire my now cracked blue/yellow polarizer forever, I went out to the pool and shot the water surface to show a quick comparison of the effect. It definitely works best with shiny surfaces (as does any polarizer).
check it out...
Cracked...oh no. What a shame. Your illustrations show the filter's potential perfectly. Thanks. The blue/red filter may also work wonders with bronze statues.

Thanks,
barondla
06-24-2020, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
check it out...
Thanks for putting this together. Very helpful. The blue / red polarizer doesn't give any benefit with sunsets?
06-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Cracked...oh no. What a shame. Your illustrations show the filter's potential perfectly. Thanks. The blue/red filter may also work wonders with bronze statues.
Thanks,
barondla
great idea. Let me run over to the Robert E Lee statue in the local park...oh wait...

Thanks for putting this together. Very helpful. The blue / red polarizer doesn't give any benefit with sunsets?
ill give it a try. we havent had any skies at all lately, so ive been uninspired to chase a sunset.
02-12-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

posting to an old thread.

After my Cokin version of the gold/blue polarizer cracked, I splurged for the Singh Ray one. It does exactly the same thing but will consume much more of your cash.
Here is a test shot from yesterday down by the river:

02-12-2021, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

posting to an old thread.

After my Cokin version of the gold/blue polarizer cracked, I splurged for the Singh Ray one. It does exactly the same thing but will consume much more of your cash.
Here is a test shot from yesterday down by the river:
Great examples. This allows people to see what the filter can do. Is the Singh Ray a screw in filter or does it fit a holder? I have the Cokin in the bag, must remember to use it.

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 02-12-2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: auto correct caused a typo!
02-12-2021, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great examples. This allows people to see what the filter can do. Is the Singh Day a screw in filter or does it fit a holder? I have the Cokin in the bag, must remember to use it.

Thanks,
barondla
The Singh Ray I bought is a 77mm slim profile screw in filter. They offer other configs.