Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Pentax 67II Repair

I have a Pentax 67II camera where it has 2 issues. First it drains batteries while not in use. Second the one shutter curtain is dragging, causing a black section of the picture.

Is LeZot Camera Repair in the USA a good place to send this camera for repair? They were one of the few places I could find in North America that will still actually work on the P67II. Most places wont touch this camera anymore.

06-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

Original Poster
I dont know if the mods can move this to the medium format section?
06-26-2020, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by braxus Quote
I dont know if the mods can move this to the medium format section?
Your wish is my command
06-27-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Eric Hendrickson doesn’t work on them?

06-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

my 67ii had issues about 2 years ago. i have yet to be able to find anyone who can work on them. there are no parts available, so you will need to find another camera to take parts from if you need to have parts replaced. wound up getting an older 67 model to use instead. now I have an oversized doorstop.

will monitor this thread to see if anyone has a possible service location

john

---------- Post added 06-27-20 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Eric Hendrickson doesn’t work on them?
eric does not work on the 67ii. too many electronics. he also did not know of anyone who does work on them.
06-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a place in Japan that did/does work on 67ii's, but I don't remember their name. I'll see if I can find the info.

Phil.
06-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Guys. LeZot in the USA will work on P67II, as per my first post in this thread. They are the only place I've been able to find who WILL touch this camera. I have debated going back to the older P67 cameras, as I had one previously and it had no issues. LeZot is not saying they can fix all issues with the 67II, but at least they can look at it for you. My camera is going in in August for repair. I hope mine doesn't become a doorstop either. The prices on the 67II camera now, is so far out there compared to just a few years ago.

06-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by braxus Quote
I have debated going back to the older P67 cameras, as I had one previously and it had no issues.
Going back to the Pentax 6x7 or 67 cameras will not put you in an easier situation. Both cameras, especially the 6x7, are now quite old (51 years for the Pentax 6x7, 31+ for the 67). Eventually fault and failure will conspire against you to the point where the only option is to have repairs done with parts salvaged from like cameras, the cost of doing so likely to be greater than the worth of the camera at any point. This cross-species repairing will introduce further unreliability because engineering changes occurred around the Pentax 67, especially with the shutter, winding mechanism, shutter speed dial etc.

At the end of the day, the cameras are going to cease to function well irrespective of the number and involvement of repairs, and digital, as unpalatable as it may be to many, will be the only avenue left. Keep an open mind.
06-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Maybe not, but at least more places will repair the older models. With all the electronics in the version 2, it complicates repairs. That said I will try my luck with LeZot to repair my version 2. If it cant be repaired, I'll buy the older model which at least has more luck with it.
08-02-2020, 11:42 AM - 3 Likes   #10

I had my 67ii serviced locally by Advance Camera in Portland. Apparently they used to be/still are a Pentax repair center and one of the technicians they had was experienced working on the 6x7 and 67ii. It took about 2-3 months because my issue was pretty severe, the advance lever had jammed suddenly after about half a year of use. Basically they had attributed my camera's failure to a part below a gap in between the prism and the display window corroding due to water exposure from the previous owner. From the receipt: "Magnet interface is locked. Needs overhaul and to be recalibrated. Disassembled, cleaned and lubricated throughout. Adjusted speeds, and systems. Replaced light seals and mirror shock pad. Cleaned mirror box, mirror and focus screen, detailed exterior, tested functions/systems." and then after the repair "Cleaned, relubricated, and calibrated. Found corrosion along the top due to 'rain'. Removed and reset all release linkage. Tested." The technician who performed the repair also told me he had put in some extra sealing around that area to prevent it from happening again, since he had seen the issue on other 67ii repairs.

The whole repair cost me $245, which was well worth it for a camera that basically nobody can touch. Looks to be about the same price as the Lezot transport/shutter repair. The $75 Lezot charges for an inspection was the exact same that Advance Camera also charged me (it was included in the final repair cost). I've been using the camera since then with no issues as well, though now I'm extra careful around even light rain.

Even more than the parts, it seems there are very few people that are able to work on these cameras. I wonder which will dry up first, the spare parts for 67ii's or the technicians that are even capable of repairing them. I only know of these two places to get it serviced domestically.
08-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
It sounds like Advance may be a better option. They seem to have some parts still, plus being a Pentax outlet, and their pricing is slightly cheaper then Lezot. Also they are closer to me as well. I might try them first.
08-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's good to know and a lot closer than sending it to Japan!

Phil.
04-02-2021, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Well after some delay, Im sending in my P67II to Advance Camera. They are familiar with the issues its having, so I trust they can work on it. To clean and lube they quoted $250. Cost of electrical repair portion is unknown, as they dont know the problem yet. My camera is a bit beat up, but still worked last time I used it which was well over a year and half ago.
04-16-2021, 07:19 AM   #14

Hope it goes well for you. I was actually just there earlier this week to have them look at another camera (the pressure plate off my Fuji GF670 fell off, they were able to reattach it right on the spot, which was awesome). They had a sign up saying lead times for repairs was ~12 weeks, they seemed pretty busy.

As another side note for other people looking at this thread for a 67ii repair place, apparently pdx camera out here does a good job too, I had talked to someone who had work done on their 67ii and they were able to repair a similar locked magnet as well.
04-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
3 months before repair estimate. Wow thats quite a wait time. Oh well. At least I know its in good hands, as the tech has repair this model before.