Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

645N - "Err" on LCD... YIKES!

Hello, hello,

I'm new to this site, and I wish I was driven for here for better reasons than mere panic. Yesterday I took a 3 hour drive upstate (Bear Mountain) to take photos, only to take a roll of 220 and see "Err" on the camera's LCD after winding the roll.

?

The error is not flashing, and according to the user manual, this means the camera is defective. Has anyone here gotten this error before and can possibly, elucidate on what kind of defects this may indicate? Camera has not been water damaged and has been babied for 6 years! I'm thinking of taking it to the 13th Street photo repair place, in NY, but I would appreciate any insight from you here.

Many thanks,

isa

11-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had this "err" on mine too.

This is what I did and somehow the procedures fixed the "err" !

1. Take the batteries out . Clean the contacts and reload with fresh ones .

2. Check your lens and the AF/MF switch . Make sure your lens locked and contacts are cleaned too .

3. Did the film get loaded correctly ? Reload the film .

One of the above will fix that "err" I hope ! It did for mine . I honestly have no idea why but it worked !
11-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
isa
Inactive Account

Original Poster
dantuyhoa: where are the contacts? Are there two types? Contacts for lens and for film loaders?

The Err remains on the display even without film loaded. I want to try your instructions, but please tell me where/what the contacts are.
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

isa

The battery contacts are in side the compartment . The lens contacts are in the mount and lens . I doubt that the lens has anything to do with the "err" But never hurt to clean it up . How the "err" being triggered is still a mystery to me . You can clean the battery contact with a pencil eraser . There should be some "wheel" inside the the film chamber where you insert the film back . Try to move them just a touch . The last time the "err" did happen when I try to load a new roll . You might have to load a new roll and shoot blank just to get the whole thing going again . Good luck .

Tran

11-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
isa
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I have an update!

So, I did what Tram said, and cleaned up all the contacts. I twisted every wheel I could find: both in the film back and inside the expo chamber. And then…then I decided to press the auto wind button at the bottom of the camera. Although I didn't have the camera loaded, it did wind and then the "Err" disappeared.

Naturally, I'm very happy!

However, tomorrow or Wednesday, I will expose some 120 film and see how the results are. I will post here when I have an update, in case anyone else encounters "Err" too.

Thanks, Tram!
11-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You're welcome . I didn't really do anything

Tran
11-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by isa Quote
So, I did what Tram said, and cleaned up all the contacts. I twisted every wheel I could find: both in the film back and inside the expo chamber. And then…then I decided to press the auto wind button at the bottom of the camera. Although I didn't have the camera loaded, it did wind and then the "Err" disappeared.

Naturally, I'm very happy!

However, tomorrow or Wednesday, I will expose some 120 film and see how the results are. I will post here when I have an update, in case anyone else encounters "Err" too.

Thanks, Tram!

Thank you! I just received my 2nd hand 645N bought from Internet and was going mad as it bugged. Your rewind on empty trick did the...trick. Thanks again :-)

06-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #8

I have the same difficulty, what is the "auto rewind" button you guys are referring to "on the bottom of the camera"?

Thank you so much!
06-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had the same thing happen on my 645n. It had been locked on err for weeks as I'd tried all the battery/film/etc. stuff. Happened to give it one more go yesterday and found and hit the rewind button at the bottom right at the back of the body and bang, it whirred to life again. Reloaded film and now I have a functioning 645n again.

Big breath exhale! Was about to send it out for repairs.
01-24-2024, 09:08 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christa_t Quote
I have the same difficulty, what is the "auto rewind" button you guys are referring to "on the bottom of the camera"?

Thank you so much!
I'm just reading your question on the Pentax Forums, so I hope you figured it out. But if you look on the bottom of your 645, there a notch right beneath the film holder, if you push that in, it automatically rewinds the film. In my case, I had the film holder empty and after I did that, the Err went away and all was good.

Good luck
Mike