Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #1

Issues with my Pentax 6x7

Hello everyone i'm having a few issues with my Pentax 6x7 which I bought overseas in Japan, the issues i'm getting are:

• edges on my images are underexposed
  • some shots are overlapping each other
  • when aligning the paper with the orange dot inside the camera and advancing the lever it cocks the shutter ready to fire too early and the film counter isn't set on 0 yet either
  • when taking a shot at around 8 or 9 shutter count the mirror will lock up and the only way i can set it back to normal is to advance the lever again which resets the mirror and i can take the next shot, even with a fresh new battery it does the same thing.
  • when reaching the end of the last shot the advance lever still cock the shutter ready even though it should continue widning when at the end of the role, unfortunately my 'Film Type Dial' is missing and i can't tell if its set to 21 or 10, but after testing with a blank role of 120 film even at the 21 mark it would still cock the shutter ready for another shot when it has reached the end of the role.
I hope someone here can help me with this as i've been looking forward to geting this camera for some time now and this has been a huge disappointment, i can't even send it back to the seller as it is past it 30 day return policy and i would have to pay to send it back, If anbody could help that would be really appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

07-13-2020, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like you have an older non-MLU version. Overlapping frames is a common problem with that version as they age. The locking up mirror is usually a soleoid problem, when you have a good battery. This camera needs some serious repair hours. I would contact the seller and discuss that you paid for a working camera, not a "for parts" camera.
07-13-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The details of your post are troubling, and in a nutshell, the camera is one that might best have been avoided the moment you saw it. As Desertscape stated, the camera is in need of serious repair work, particularly around the wind-on mechanism and mirror solenoid that controls its action in sync with the wind-on (from the description you gave, it is out of sync completely). The advanced age of this 6x7, likely from 1969, means it has probably reached the end of its normal serviceability life. If it is within the realm of possibility, contact the original seller of the camera to go through the problems you have found and have it returned for a full refund (he would have known the camera had such serious problems). On the subject of repairs, I do not consider it worthwhile to go through repairs when the cost of sourcing used parts from like-cameras (no new parts are available) would well exceed, by a significant margin, the net worth of the camera. A better option is to search for a camera that is in better condition and which have been tested as working correctly, especially shutter, shutter speeds, meter, wind-on, film counter roller (to the right of the shutter: fiddling with this can actually derange the mechanism) and battery compartment condition.
07-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies, i'll see if i can get it sent back to the seller in Japan, even though in the description it says ''The postage of the returned goods is a buyer burden'' which made me come here asking for some answers on how to resolve this without losing too much money.

07-14-2020, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ExpressMass Quote
Thank you for the replies, i'll see if i can get it sent back to the seller in Japan, even though in the description it says ''The postage of the returned goods is a buyer burden'' which made me come here asking for some answers on how to resolve this without losing too much money.

It is regrettable but I think you're going to lose money, and a lot of it, whichever choice you make. Problems with the late 1960s version of the 6x7 are well known and fairly prolific. Many that report problems likely have not been serviced in their lifetime, or have been subjected to fairly robust professional treatment early on. New users frequently encounter operational idiosyncrasies of the cameras, leading to further strife (also frequently addressed here on pentaxforums.com). There is no error on your part in landing here at pentaxforums.com!

Now, the camera was, in my eyes, clearly not in good serviceable order for sale, and I do think the seller would have known that, thus leading to the suggestion that a refund be offered without further discussion; I note you are in Cymru (ta-da!...my Mum is Welsh, all 102 years! ), so there is some heft in the postage, necessarily, but I think it is something that should be done. There are a fair number of Pentax 67 (1989-onward) cameras available online through reputable Sellers in Japan (I might add though the prices look more like gouging than good-buys...), but the details of condition and serviceability should be very carefully checked, taking care with perceived or actual language barriers that from my own experience, don't help the process!