Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For people who have trouble precisely focusing slow lenses in low light, or when photographing in an awkward position e.g. at right angles to the camera, a right angle finder is the single most useful accessory, after the cable release! I do not know if the 645 RA finder has dioptric correction, but if it does, don't hesitate to get it. It will have to be removed/re-attached every time you pack the camera away and unpack it for use.

07-13-2020, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Hi,

Hmmm. I might have to try one. I hadn't thought about this yet. I have done all such shooting with a Nikon F5 and it has swappable viewfinders. One being waist level and another a magnifying vertical one. I used to have a right-angle for the Nikon FE and FA, but quit using one when I moved to an F4 and then the F5 with their swappable viewfinders. And, various digital backs on F5's.

But my P645D lacks the capability. Something else to add to the list.

Stan
07-13-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing to add regarding the use of right angle finders, is the use of the optional rubber eyecup. Way easier to use with the eyecup to block stray light.

Phil.
Attached Images

07-13-2020, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot to add in my post about right angle finders for 35mm Pentaxes, the finder for the K mount cameras has a diopter adjustment, and a selectable 1x or 2x magnification, really useful for critical focusing. A correction to my earlier post: The angle finder for the M 42 cameras also fits the first K mount cameras, the K-2, KX, KM, and the K 1000.

07-14-2020, 05:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone use the Pentax right angle finder on their 645?

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

Hmmm. I might have to try one. I hadn't thought about this yet. I have done all such shooting with a Nikon F5 and it has swappable viewfinders. One being waist level and another a magnifying vertical one. I used to have a right-angle for the Nikon FE and FA, but quit using one when I moved to an F4 and then the F5 with their swappable viewfinders. And, various digital backs on F5's.

But my P645D lacks the capability. Something else to add to the list.

Stan

Speaking of foreign brands, I do miss the high-eyepoint speed finder for my Canon F-1. It rotated about a 45-degree plane to become a right-angle finder. Great idea not duplicated by anyone.

(From a Photo.net post—I own the lower one for my first-gen F-1)

Rick “imagining the hunks of glass requires to do this on a 67” Denney
07-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Speaking of foreign brands, I do miss the high-eyepoint speed finder for my Canon F-1. It rotated about a 45-degree plane to become a right-angle finder. Great idea not duplicated by anyone.

Those and the 250 filmbacks always looked so cool. What is the difference between this and the Pentax LX action finder? Pentax FC-1 Action Eyepiece reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Surprised no one brought out a pro digital camera with interchangeable viewfinders.

Thanks,
barondla
07-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote

Wish the Z had something like that.