Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone use the Pentax right angle finder on their 645?

They are for sale used at inexpensive prices. Don't see any reviews in the database here. Anyone using a 645 right angle attachment?
Thanks,
barondla

07-12-2020, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Like this one?

Pentax Refconverter 645 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
07-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one intended for potential low camera shots with the 'N' but never installed it. Sorry.
07-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have one for my D, very useful for low-angle shots, especially as the camera screen is fixed. It's a bit fiddly to setup but works well.

07-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

......... might need to buy myself one for use with the K-New... by the looks of the prototypes the screen if fixed :'(
07-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for this. When I searched accessories it pulled up the 6X7 review but no mention of the 645. Not sure I'd use this on the Z. It sounds finicky to install, but I do miss the vertically articulating screen of the K-1.

Thanks,
barondla

---------- Post added 07-12-20 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I have one for my D, very useful for low-angle shots, especially as the camera screen is fixed. It's a bit fiddly to setup but works well.
Please consider writing a review. There are only 2 and they were long, long ago. There isn't any extra magnification built in is there?

Thanks,
barondla
07-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a generic one and have used it once in 9 years.

07-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one but don't really use it. The articulating screens on my cameras and their zoom functions do the trick most of the time. I have a job coming up that I may need it for, though.
07-12-2020, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I have one but don't really use it. The articulating screens on my cameras and their zoom functions do the trick most of the time. I have a job coming up that I may need it for, though.
See my review on the angle finder for the 645n. I use it for close ups so I don't have to lie on the ground! Note that the threads mounting the finder to the camera's eyepiece are pretty fine in pitch. Cross threading it could result in an expensive repair, if the camera threads were damaged. The angle finders for the K mount and M42 finders just slip onto the slotted eyepiece - simple, quick, and very unlikely to damage anything. BTW, K mount and M42 angle finders are NOT interchangeable. IIRC the K mount finder will interchange with the OM series film Olympus cameras.
If you find one cheaply, why not buy it??

Last edited by grhazelton; 07-12-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: clarification
07-12-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It sounds finicky to install, but I do miss the vertically articulating screen of the K-1.
I thought the Z had this covered? I would have thought that the refconverter would be unnecessary.

Steve
07-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Please consider writing a review. There are only 2 and they were long, long ago. There isn't any extra magnification built in is there
I will, I haven't used it much. You have to unscrew the viewfinder eyepiece and replace it with the refconverter. There's no magnification, you get the full finder image.

There's a separate magnifier IIRC.

Live view with a tilting screen would be much more convenient, but the refconverter might give a clearer view in bright conditions.
07-12-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An refconverter is also handy with my 645n and my LX and my K-5 (none of which have tilt screens) for avoiding full tripod extension and/or using the center pole when taking landscapes, portraits, etc.
07-12-2020, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought the Z had this covered? I would have thought that the refconverter would be unnecessary.

Steve
The 645Z screen only tilts up or down horizontally. It does not tilt vertically. So there's no help if a high or low angle vertical shot is being taken. The K-1 moves in all directions and I actually have the Olympus OM Varimagni finder that fits.

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 07-12-2020 at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarification
07-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The 645Z screen only tilts up or down horizontally. It does very little if a high or low angle shot is being taken. The K-1 moves in all directions and I actually have the Olympus OM Varimagni finder that fits.

Thanks,
barondla
You lost me here. Tilting up should be useful for low angle work and tilting down for high angle. The refconvertor 645 will allow for multiple orientations but only orthogonal to the lens axis with head close to the camera. High angle does not appear doable. My back and neck would prefer a tilt finder. That said, thanks for the confirmation regarding the fit for the OM Varimagni. I have been needing something for my K-3 quite awhile and since the genuine Refconverter A or M is expensive, the OM might be a better solution.

As far as reviews are concerned, here is one that I found earlier...

Pentax 645 Refconverter ? Jake Horn Photography

I saw several Refconverter 645 on eBay for fairly reasonable prices.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-12-2020 at 05:45 PM.
07-12-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the Pentax 6x7, K Series and A Series versions, use them all the time.

Phil.