Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello 645Z friends: questions about movies and interval shooting

(I did search the forums and didn't come up with much)

I have an odd situation this coming week in which I will need my K1(upgraded) to do run-and-gun, and so can't set it up for movie or interval shooting. I won't need the Z's better quality until the work I'm documenting is complete, so I could use that for the movies and/or intervals.

I thought I'd shoot 24 or 30 Full HD, but OTOH the interval could be fine. There's other equipment available at work to use but there might be access problems, and with storms coming in for the afternoons it might be a PITA to try to get more than 2 cameras under cover when they hit.

Any thoughts from those of you who have done this with a Z? I've actually only done it with a 5DmkIV.

Thanks in advance. Would be starting this Tuesday, July 19, 2020.

07-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
(I did search the forums and didn't come up with much)

I have an odd situation this coming week in which I will need my K1(upgraded) to do run-and-gun, and so can't set it up for movie or interval shooting. I won't need the Z's better quality until the work I'm documenting is complete, so I could use that for the movies and/or intervals.

I thought I'd shoot 24 or 30 Full HD, but OTOH the interval could be fine. There's other equipment available at work to use but there might be access problems, and with storms coming in for the afternoons it might be a PITA to try to get more than 2 cameras under cover when they hit.

Any thoughts from those of you who have done this with a Z? I've actually only done it with a 5DmkIV.

Thanks in advance. Would be starting this Tuesday, July 19, 2020.
I've never shot interval with the Z. Tried a few with the Pentax Q. In one aspect the two, might be similar. Neither are as fast as a good crop or FF body. First mistake was shooting in Raw. A pain to convert thousands of Raw and it requires lots of camera and storage memory. This caused my real problem using the Q. I set interval (3 seconds) too short. For a while the buffer handled a Raw every 3 seconds and everything appeared fine. Then the buffer filled up and the interval shooting stopped, without my knowing. Make sure to pick an interval that the camera can handle for thousands of frames.

Does the Z do interval by raising and lowering the mirror and opening the shutter? If so I would think twice before adding thousands of frames to the Z shutter. Especially when highest image quality isn't required. I used electronic shutter on the Q.

Realize this is very little help.
Good luck,
barondla