Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

6x7 220 film advance/loading issues

Hey y'all, first I just wanted to say I've been shooting with various Pentax cameras for a while and only now just joined the site, it's a real godsend for finding useful info and I can't believe I hadn't found this earlier. Onto my problem:
A few years ago I purchased a (very reasonably priced) complete 6x7 MLU kit, the seller warned me there was a film transport issue and that's why he was selling it at a bargain. Low and behold however, loading and shooting 120 film was just dandy. There were some minor frame spacing issues but that's to be expected. Now, I recently got ahold of some 220. When I went to shoot it, I switched everything over to the 220 settings and loaded up the film, closed the door, and began winding-- no resistance to cock the shutter. It just keeps winding and winding without moving the counter at all, it advanced to the second "pre-film" dot and stopped. I switched it back over to the 120 setting out of curiosity, and the film advanced and cocked the shutter normally. Now, if I put the dial back to 220, it seemed to advance the film fine until about the 11th frame, after which it would get stuck and not allow the shutter to be cocked, and the film counter did not reset once the door was opened.
All in all, it was a terrible waste of 220 film, and it makes me concerned about some deeper underlying issues that might surface when shooting regular 120 film. I have little understanding of how these cameras work. Is this an issue that should be professionally addressed sooner than later?

07-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi Finn Lyle and welcome to the Pentaxforums,

I've worked with many 6x6 and 6x7 Hasselblad 500 C/M, Zenza Bronica SQA, Fuji gf670 & Koni Omega 6x7,
but maybe more than every word you could look at these David Hancock movies, they might help you, particularly with your problem, "film loading" the second movie.

Link:

Ciao M
07-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You might have a damaged 120/220 switch on the side of the camera, where it doesn't recognize that there is film in the camera at the 220 setting.