Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #1

Two 645 film bodies, two different shutter sounds.

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this the correct way.

I'm getting into Pentax 645 film medium format, after using 135 film but wanting more resolution. Film is for me a counterweight for my digital fullframe kit. I enjoy the cameras and incredible lenses the Pentax 645 system has to offer. And it is not breaking the bank, doing so.

The first gen 645's are not getting any younger these days, so it's always a gamble, when buying on ebay. At the moment I have three bodies. Two who work fine (for now) and one for parts.
I'm trying to shrink my kit and maybe sell off or give away one of the two bodies. But of course: which one. It would be a real shame, if the one I decide to keep breaks down in a couple of weeks.

So I'm figuring out which one to keep. They are both in great shape cosmetically, but I did notice one difference: the shutter sound. One is a little harder and the other one is softer. But the main difference is the subtle "woosh" sound one of them makes, while the other one does not. You can compare it with a small wheel inside the mechanism that is rotating really fast and just spins a couple of seconds after the mirror closes again.

But words can't describe a sound, so I made it clear in a Youtube video: each camera (and shutter) takes two shots. The "woosh" sound is on the second body. It's really only audible with headphones (or high volume - at your own risk of course.)

So I'm indeed appealing to the knowledge of anyone on this forum with any experience with the Pentax 645 (first gen) and whether they can answer these questions:

Which one sounds right?
Which one sounds like your camera? If so, did you have any problems with it.
Do I need to worry about either the subtle difference in shutter sound?
Do I need to worry about the "woosh" sound (or lack thereoff)
What is that woosh sound at the end?

It would be great if anyone had any feedback.

07-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great recordings. I have been thinking that I need to record the sounds of my cameras. I know nothing about how they are supposed to sound, but I wouldn't be worried.
07-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The first shutter sounds like a better shutter release.
07-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is tough to know which is better. If you have a Spotmatic 23102, KX,KM of K1000 camera and you fire the shutter at 1/15 or 1/8 of a second you should hear swooshy bouncy sound from the slow speed governor. If you don't it means the slow speed governor needs to be cleaned and or lubricated and inaccurate slow speeds are in the future. I don't remember that sound from my 645, though.

07-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lawrence_645 Quote
This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this the correct way.

I'm getting into Pentax 645 film medium format, after using 135 film but wanting more resolution. Film is for me a counterweight for my digital fullframe kit. I enjoy the cameras and incredible lenses the Pentax 645 system has to offer. And it is not breaking the bank, doing so.

The first gen 645's are not getting any younger these days, so it's always a gamble, when buying on ebay. At the moment I have three bodies. Two who work fine (for now) and one for parts.
I'm trying to shrink my kit and maybe sell off or give away one of the two bodies. But of course: which one. It would be a real shame, if the one I decide to keep breaks down in a couple of weeks.

So I'm figuring out which one to keep. They are both in great shape cosmetically, but I did notice one difference: the shutter sound. One is a little harder and the other one is softer. But the main difference is the subtle "woosh" sound one of them makes, while the other one does not. You can compare it with a small wheel inside the mechanism that is rotating really fast and just spins a couple of seconds after the mirror closes again.

But words can't describe a sound, so I made it clear in a Youtube video: each camera (and shutter) takes two shots. The "woosh" sound is on the second body. It's really only audible with headphones (or high volume - at your own risk of course.)

Different Pentax 645 shutter sound (use headphones) - YouTube

So I'm indeed appealing to the knowledge of anyone on this forum with any experience with the Pentax 645 (first gen) and whether they can answer these questions:

Which one sounds right?
Which one sounds like your camera? If so, did you have any problems with it.
Do I need to worry about either the subtle difference in shutter sound?
Do I need to worry about the "woosh" sound (or lack thereoff)
What is that woosh sound at the end?

It would be great if anyone had any feedback.
Don't have a 645 film camera so no idea which is better. I'm not a repairman, would rather have 2 working 645 than 1 working and a parts camera. Why get rid of a working 645 when it's such a gamble to find another? I'd sell the freaking parts camera .

Thanks,
barondla
07-29-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cameras sold "AS IS" or "FOR PARTS" bring only peanuts. I think it would be wiser to keep it as it has no real market value and it may prove very useful in a near future. Pentax 645 cameras are darn complicated machines with lots of mechanical gears (metal and nylon) that may lose a tooth or go A-wire as well as printed electrical circuits impossible to replicate or find elsewhere. These cameras are 30 years old and materials start becoming brittle or worn over time.

Regards

P.S. Personally, I have a 645N, years younger than the original 645 and way more advanced technically. 645N and NII can be found easily for good prices on eBay (Example : 600 $ US for a very good 645N).

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 07-29-2020 at 09:48 AM.
07-29-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The first shutter sounds like a better shutter release.
Any reasons why?

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Don't have a 645 film camera so no idea which is better. I'm not a repairman, would rather have 2 working 645 than 1 working and a parts camera. Why get rid of a working 645 when it's such a gamble to find another? I'd sell the freaking parts camera .
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Cameras sold "AS IS" or "FOR PARTS" bring only peanuts. I think it would be wiser to keep it as it has no real market value and it may prove very useful in a near future. Pentax 645 cameras are darn complicated machines with lots of mechanical gears (metal and nylon) that may lose a tooth or go A-wire as well as printed electrical circuits impossible to replicate or find elsewhere. These cameras are 30 years old and materials start becoming brittle or worn over time.

Regards

P.S. Personally, I have a 645N, years younger than the original 645 and way more advanced technically. 645N and NII can be found easily for good prices on eBay (Example : 600 $ US for a very good 645N).
I also have a 645N, I could have mentioned that. So two 645's and a 645N might be a bit of an overkill. Ideally, I wanted to keep one nice 645 and of course the 645N. I have the 75 F2.8 & 45-80 zoom in AF versions so they work great on the 645N - though I also enjoy using the older but solid manual lenses - I have the 35, 55 and 150. All great lenses. Manual focus is a bit trickier on the 645N without a focus screen with aids - though the focus confirmation beep does help. I've added the 2x magnifier to compensate that - which is a bit cumbersome, but works fine.
But I really like the old 645, it looks so much different than the modern cameras and the controls are like that of a 1970s sci-fi space ship. And it was the model that drew me into the system. So I'm still fond of it - and it's of course purely manual focus, with a split screen mat focus screen which is great.

But I am not going to deny thinking about keeping all three of the bodies. But because of the kits I bought on ebay, there is an overlap in lenses (two 75 2.8's), so my reason was selling one 645 with a 75 F2.8 - which should be quite easy at a good price. But of course, I wanted to know whether the slight difference in shutter sound would ring a bell with anyone - even if I want to keep it or not

Thanks for the input, still open for any feedback of course. There has to be at least one Pentax 645 (first gen) owner on this forum who feels like putting his ears to his or her camera and compare the sound with the one I provided

07-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The shutter action in the first one sounds like a concise open, close and done. The second it drags on like something extra is happening.

Last edited by tuco; 07-29-2020 at 04:46 PM.
07-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lawrence_645 Quote
Any reasons why?

I also have a 645N, I could have mentioned that. So two 645's and a 645N might be a bit of an overkill. Ideally, I wanted to keep one nice 645 and of course the 645N. I have the 75 F2.8 & 45-80 zoom in AF versions so they work great on the 645N - though I also enjoy using the older but solid manual lenses - I have the 35, 55 and 150. All great lenses. Manual focus is a bit trickier on the 645N without a focus screen with aids - though the focus confirmation beep does help. I've added the 2x magnifier to compensate that - which is a bit cumbersome, but works fine.
But I really like the old 645, it looks so much different than the modern cameras and the controls are like that of a 1970s sci-fi space ship. And it was the model that drew me into the system. So I'm still fond of it - and it's of course purely manual focus, with a split screen mat focus screen which is great.

But I am not going to deny thinking about keeping all three of the bodies. But because of the kits I bought on ebay, there is an overlap in lenses (two 75 2.8's), so my reason was selling one 645 with a 75 F2.8 - which should be quite easy at a good price. But of course, I wanted to know whether the slight difference in shutter sound would ring a bell with anyone - even if I want to keep it or not

Thanks for the input, still open for any feedback of course. There has to be at least one Pentax 645 (first gen) owner on this forum who feels like putting his ears to his or her camera and compare the sound with the one I provided
3 working bodies is better. Why don't you change the 645N focusing screen to one with manual focusing aids? I just bought an original 645 small split image screen and modified it to fit the 645Z. Carefully trimmed the locator tab off the screen to make it physically fit. Brand new screen was only $35 + shipping. Love it.

Thanks,
barondla