Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

Pentax 67 - waist level finder or magnifier?

Hi guys,

I've started shooting with a P67 + 105 recently, and I love it. Prior to this, I was shooting with a Mamiya 645 with a waist level finder (and split screen prism), which I found quite usable for nailing critical focus.

I'm finding it a little tough to focus with confidence using the ground glass + TTL prism with the Pentax, so I was thinking about trying something like the magnifier or the WLF.

Can anyone with experience speak as to what they liked better? There is something pretty special about a WLF, so I think I'm leaning that way at the moment.

Thanks!

08-29-2020, 11:04 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My accessory toy bag contains the central-area spot magnifier attachment and, the most useful of all, the Pentax 67 (later model) right-angle finder (see pic).

This has continuously variable dioptric correction in + / – direction (the setting will vary according to the lens in use — wide angle or tele, near focus or far) and provides for precise focus in low light — a known and aggravating problem with the f4 lenses when used with a polariser, for example. Earlier iterations of the magnifier have unmarked dioptric correction. The right-angle finder has provision for a rubber hood to further enhance viewing and excluding stray light, or even protecting your spectacackles from scratches. Research right-angle finders carefully. They are widely available, but the Pentax 6x7 often show up with active fungal infections or internal dust or both. This cannot be satisfactorily dealt with and the optical section of the magnifier is sealed within the barrel — only the crystal glass prism is serviceable for e.g. removing dust etc. If something is described as MINT, ask for photos to prove it. A magnifier with fungal infection will be like eyeballing a tarantula every time you attach it to the camera — truly irritating. I couldn't stand that with my first magnifier and threw it out.

The chimney hood is another option worth exploring. It has a corrective viewing ring and cut-away hood attached. The waist-level finders often turn up on the used market with stubborn dust within that is a quandary to treat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960F  Photo 
08-30-2020, 12:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
My accessory toy bag contains the central-area spot magnifier attachment and, the most useful of all, the Pentax 67 (later model) right-angle finder (see pic).

This has continuously variable dioptric correction in + / – direction (the setting will vary according to the lens in use — wide angle or tele, near focus or far) and provides for precise focus in low light — a known and aggravating problem with the f4 lenses when used with a polariser, for example. Earlier iterations of the magnifier have unmarked dioptric correction. The right-angle finder has provision for a rubber hood to further enhance viewing and excluding stray light, or even protecting your spectacackles from scratches. Research right-angle finders carefully. They are widely available, but the Pentax 6x7 often show up with active fungal infections or internal dust or both. This cannot be satisfactorily dealt with and the optical section of the magnifier is sealed within the barrel — only the crystal glass prism is serviceable for e.g. removing dust etc. If something is described as MINT, ask for photos to prove it. A magnifier with fungal infection will be like eyeballing a tarantula every time you attach it to the camera — truly irritating. I couldn't stand that with my first magnifier and threw it out.

The chimney hood is another option worth exploring. It has a corrective viewing ring and cut-away hood attached. The waist-level finders often turn up on the used market with stubborn dust within that is a quandary to treat.
Thanks, SS. I hadn't looked into the right angle finder yet. They're quite economical compared to other options! Is it a bit janky to use when the camera isn't mounted to a tripod? Could you effectively use it when shooting some hand held portraits, for instance?
08-30-2020, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never used the rigid magnifying hood,( I seriously considered getting ione when I looked through one, but the cost a too high for me at the time). I used to use the folding magnifying hood a lot (usually using an SLR as a light meter, as you lose the metering, of course in the 67 and earlier. the magnifier was quite useful for focus accuracy, but I mainly used it for composition as you can see a 2D image, as you will know, on the ground glass, which can be very useful. It also folds away quite nealty. It's hard to know until you try, but it worked for me.

08-30-2020, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lynchpin Quote
Could you effectively use it when shooting some hand held portraits, for instance?
No it screws into the body, so it's staying put.

Note the two folding & chimney hoods have the image reversed, so that may be an issue for some. The right angle finder dos not.

Phil.
08-30-2020, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks, SS. I hadn't looked into the right angle finder yet. They're quite economical compared to other options! Is it a bit janky to use when the camera isn't mounted to a tripod? Could you effectively use it when shooting some hand held portraits, for instance?
As Phil says, it stays put. And it can be a bugger. The RA finder ideally should be removed prior to stowing in the pack. And care needs to be exercised moving around the camera with the RA finder attached, as a bump could potentially damage the threads on the prism where it screws in (likewise, a conscious effort is required to make sure it is not cross-threaded when attaching!). It is undeniably awkward by dint of its rigidity. I don't think it is suitable for wait-level shooting, as your eye need to be steadied into the eyepiece to ascertain precise focus of both the magnifier and the lens. The Chimney finder might be better in this regard, but still a big issue when your are shooting in portrait orientation.

Last edited by Silent Street; 08-30-2020 at 07:02 PM.
08-31-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I haven't used the rigid hood but I don't think I would over the folding hood because it would make the camera bulky to carry around out in the field. I shoot my P67 with a WLF all the time. The magnification does help critical focus a lot and you get 100% view! That can be important sometimes.

08-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Given my familiarity with a waist level finder on my Mamiya 645 1000S, I thought that might be the best bet for me for the P67 (and I'm also aiming to get a spot meter). I've got one on the way from Japan now - hopefully a better experience than the body I bought from Japan, eh Silent Street?
08-31-2020, 10:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

(and I'm also aiming to get a spot meter). I've got one on the way from Japan now - hopefully a better experience than the body I bought from Japan, eh Silent Street?
Can't argue with choice of viewfinder: everybody has different preferences, and those who have come from HassieLand will strongly prefer the waistlevel fidner.

If ordering a spot meter from Japan, make sure that the warranty covers you here in Australia, too!

I use the Sekonic L758D, the second one in 12 years after the first developed a garbled internal viewfinder digital readout (possibly from a very light dunking in the briney while skinnydipping at Ningaloo Reef in 2011). Spot is my much loved, chiefest sole delight, and the stuffed, unreadable display didn't necessarily stop me getting on with making the scene. Three cheers: I switched to incident metering!!
09-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
If ordering a spot meter from Japan, make sure that the warranty covers you here in Australia, too!

I use the Sekonic L758D, the second one in 12 years after the first developed a garbled internal viewfinder digital readout (possibly from a very light dunking in the briney while skinnydipping at Ningaloo Reef in 2011). Spot is my much loved, chiefest sole delight, and the stuffed, unreadable display didn't necessarily stop me getting on with making the scene. Three cheers: I switched to incident metering!!
Ah, good tip, I didn't realise Sekonic light meters may still have warranty. That's the exact model I want to get!
09-02-2020, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Ah, good tip, I didn't realise Sekonic light meters may still have warranty. That's the exact model I want to get!
Japanese sellers often withhold the warranty documentation and insist the meter be returned to them for assessment and/or repair. Intentions and honesty aside, I would avoid this situation as it is not a transparent process taking place, as it does, a long way from your chair. The L758D (and DR) is unfortunately considerably more expensive here in Australia at retail-cabinet level.
09-02-2020, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Given my familiarity with a waist level finder on my Mamiya 645 1000S, I thought that might be the best bet for me for the P67 (and I'm also aiming to get a spot meter). I've got one on the way from Japan now - hopefully a better experience than the body I bought from Japan, eh Silent Street?
I use a Pentax Spotmeter V or Gossen Luna Pro SVC when I'm using my 6x7 or 67. (I no longer use the TTL metered prism) It depends on the film type as to which handheld meter I use.

Pentax Spotmeter V reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Gossen Luna-Pro sbc reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

When I use my Pentax 67II I always use the AE metered prism. The matrix metering is superb, especially for slide film

Phil.
09-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #13

Original Poster
I would avoid this situation as it is not a transparent process taking place, as it does, a long way from your chair. The L758D (and DR) is unfortunately considerably more expensive here in Australia at retail-cabinet level.
It certainly is, if you can even manage to find one!

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3:
I use a Pentax Spotmeter V or Gossen Luna Pro SVC when I'm using my 6x7 or 67. (I no longer use the TTL metered prism) It depends on the film type as to which handheld meter I use.

Pentax Spotmeter V reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Gossen Luna-Pro sbc reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

When I use my Pentax 67II I always use the AE metered prism. The matrix metering is superb, especially for slide film
Thanks, I'll check those options out as well. Except the P67ii... maybe in a few years' time if funds allow!
09-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks, I'll check those options out as well. Except the P67ii... maybe in a few years' time if funds allow!
Perhaps the two most advanced meters are a one-degree spot meter and matrix metering mode on your smart phone light meter app. And if you are just going to measure the brightest and darkest and find the middle with a one-degree spot meter for you metering method, I wouldn't bother getting that meter.
09-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps the two most advanced meters are a one-degree spot meter and matrix metering mode on your smart phone light meter app. And if you are just going to measure the brightest and darkest and find the middle with a one-degree spot meter for you metering method, I wouldn't bother getting that meter.
Erm...that is an over-simplified interpretation of a spot (1° or 5°) meter, besides "brightest and darkest" (not quite correct in terms of minima and maxima), shifting the grey point up, down or removing hi and/or lo spots — a spot meter is a full system to be exploited for its capability.