Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2020, 03:58 AM   #1

645 Battery

What ho one and all,

Like many, I have a 645 that over the past few years, has had almost zero use. Pulled it out recently to ensure that all the mechanical parts are still working, and found that the battery holder plastic is cracked and crazing due to the combined pressure from the battery contacts.

As I see it, the problem is two fold, neither of which I have a complete solution for. Compared with other aspects of the camera, the entire hold was under-engineered; and /or the pressure from the contact springs it too great and applies too much pressure to the weak plastic. Of course, when it is in the handle, everything is more or less, OK.

I will be attempt to repair / strengthen the holder but have been giving some thought to how to reduce the pressure on the springs (contacts)

6 x AA batteries give 9v. I have read that a single 9v battery does not have sufficient oomph to keep the camera going.

What about six tagged batteries with the tags soldered together. Since these do not have the end nipple, they are a bit shorter and would reduce the pressure on the holder. But I cannot find alkaline, tagged batteries; they are all nickel metal hydride but importantly, the voltage is only 1.2v rather than alkaline at 1.5v

If six tagged 1.2v batteries can fit in the holder, would a total of 7.2v (as opposed to 9v) be sufficient to operate the camera?

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex