Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #1

Pentax 67 Broken chain?

Hi all,

I recently purchased Pentax 6x7 through ebay. I am currently still waiting for the first roll of film to Be finished developed. But, I am just wondering if my pentax 6x7 has a broken chain issue(attached is the picture) ? I’m suspecting it because the reading from the TTL light meter seems to be off.

I looked through the forum but can seem to find the proper position of the chain

Thanks in advance! Would appreciate any input

Attached Images

08-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #2

Original Poster
A clearer picture
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
09-01-2020, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When the chain is broken, there is no coupling of the aperture to the meter, so the meter is "flying blind". Your first roll is unfortunatley likely to be a disappointment.

I saved off the second photo and brightened the scene up considerably of detail in order to confirm that the meter coupling chain is broken. When it is intact, it is a continuous chain line across the slit in which is resides, with the meter coupling pin attached. The coupling tab has set itself to the far right indicating a loss of connection.

This common breakage is not the end of the camera, but it should be repaired. Repair is somewhat involved and will require re-calibration of the lens mount (to reset focus accuracy) after it has been removed, and the chain has been replaced and tensioned (nowadays with flexible 'tiger-tail' beading wire, which is extremely strong and cannot easily be broken as the original copper alloy chain). In the absence of the working chain, you will need to use stop-down metering, preferably with a handheld meter to continue using the camera until repairs can be facilitated. You can even use the camera without the prism attached by focusing directly on the ground glass screen.

A specific process to guard against breakage of the chain must be followed
for both the older (Pentax 6x7) and newer (Pentax 67) cameras, as detailed in this Sticky.

DIY meter coupling chain repair: https://www.salzgeber.at/articles/6x7chainRepair.html

Photo confirming coupling chain breakage:

Last edited by Silent Street; 09-02-2020 at 02:20 AM.
09-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, it looks broken to me. The chain should go all the way across the width. One option is to put a waist level finder on it (aka folding hood) if you don't want to get it fixed right away.

09-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can you return the camera, or do you think you might have broken the chain yourself?
09-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Fortunately the seller agreed for a return so I am working on that. Once thats done, I will be back in camera hunting I guess. any tips to get a good one?
09-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ijung1234 Quote
Thanks everyone! Fortunately the seller agreed for a return so I am working on that. Once thats done, I will be back in camera hunting I guess. any tips to get a good one?
Not sure where you live, but if you can find one locally either at a camera store or via Craigslist this would be a good way to check out the 6x7 first before you buy it.

I got my 6x7 MLU & 90/2.8 LS kit from a guy that lived a few blocks from me on Craigslist. I got to check the body & lens out before I bought them, so I could at least go through a short list of physical checks to find any obvious defects. The seller was also very helpful and knew the camera's previous owner as well. The purchase turned out very well and the only thing I needed to do was replace the seals on the non-metered prism.

I also have a camera/photo store a block from me that sell lots of Pentax used gear in all formats, so if I get anything from them I have a 30 days money back guarantee on any thing I buy. That gives me time to run a roll or two through any body I purchase.

Phil.