Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645z doesn't turn off

Hi,

I have been using my 645z for last four years without any issues until recently. I turned my camera off after taking few photos off only to realize that it turned On after a minute or so later itself. The button is still Off but I can browse through whole menu and even click the shutter. I did factory reset, pulled the battery out but to no avail.

I even downloaded the latest firmware but it is not helping. As the camera is no longer in warranty I think I need to send it to service center for a look.

Has any of the guys happened to have such problem with their 645z. Any suggestions / ideas will be helpful.

Regards

09-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #2

That’s a first one for me too. Sorry that I cannot help and I hope someone can.
09-11-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The mechanical on-off switch should be breaking a circuit. It must be in there.
09-12-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I don't think the power switch actually interrupts power. Most things these days have a line from the Off position to the controller asking for an ordered shutdown. Same with the On position, where it asks for an ordered power up. If so, this would mean a main board replacement rather than a much simpler switch....

Of course, it still might be that the switch is no longer asking for a power down. Let's hope it is just the switch as that would be a whole lot cheaper.

Stan

09-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxloxton Quote
Hi,

I have been using my 645z for last four years without any issues until recently. I turned my camera off after taking few photos off only to realize that it turned On after a minute or so later itself. The button is still Off but I can browse through whole menu and even click the shutter. I did factory reset, pulled the battery out but to no avail.

I even downloaded the latest firmware but it is not helping. As the camera is no longer in warranty I think I need to send it to service center for a look.

Has any of the guys happened to have such problem with their 645z. Any suggestions / ideas will be helpful.

Regards
Bummer. As a work around, until repaired, can you just remove the battery to turn it off and reinstall the battery to turn it back on? Awkward, but not impossible to work with.

Thanks,
barondla
09-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

I don't think the power switch actually interrupts power. Most things these days have a line from the Off position to the controller asking for an ordered shutdown. Same with the On position, where it asks for an ordered power up. If so, this would mean a main board replacement rather than a much simpler switch....

Of course, it still might be that the switch is no longer asking for a power down. Let's hope it is just the switch as that would be a whole lot cheaper.

Stan
I do understand that things are quite complex these days and I would wait for a trip to some Pentax Service center before deciding any route. If its a board replacement thing it will be huge cost for few years old camera.

---------- Post added 09-13-20 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Bummer. As a work around, until repaired, can you just remove the battery to turn it off and reinstall the battery to turn it back on? Awkward, but not impossible to work with.

Thanks,
barondla
The problem is that its not everytime, I have been keenly looking at what it does, it doesn't do it everytime. Since last night I have done multiple On/Off, took photos, kept it in ON position and let it Auto Off and then wait if its wakes up itself, nothing happened. I turned Off, it doesn't turn on itself. So its not everytime may be once in a while; may be changing battery or something else or simple weather impact. I was in some extreme weathers lately hot summers, Rain, humid, it may be the impact.

I am doing what you suggested as a workaround till it reaches some service center but I would still look for a couple of days how it reacts to diagnose the fault.
09-13-2020, 02:16 AM   #7

It might be worth trying another memory card as I believe that the shutdown process includes a write to the card

09-13-2020, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
It might be worth trying another memory card as I believe that the shutdown process includes a write to the card

It happened without any cards in the slot.