Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Pentax 645z doesn't turn off

Hi,

I have been using my 645z for last four years without any issues until recently. I turned my camera off after taking few photos off only to realize that it turned On after a minute or so later itself. The button is still Off but I can browse through whole menu and even click the shutter. I did factory reset, pulled the battery out but to no avail.

I even downloaded the latest firmware but it is not helping. As the camera is no longer in warranty I think I need to send it to service center for a look.

Has any of the guys happened to have such problem with their 645z. Any suggestions / ideas will be helpful.

Regards

09-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: 48282 Emsdetten
Posts: 93
Thatís a first one for me too. Sorry that I cannot help and I hope someone can.
09-11-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,825
The mechanical on-off switch should be breaking a circuit. It must be in there.
09-12-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wa2kqy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 233
Hi,

I don't think the power switch actually interrupts power. Most things these days have a line from the Off position to the controller asking for an ordered shutdown. Same with the On position, where it asks for an ordered power up. If so, this would mean a main board replacement rather than a much simpler switch....

Of course, it still might be that the switch is no longer asking for a power down. Let's hope it is just the switch as that would be a whole lot cheaper.

Stan

09-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,761
QuoteOriginally posted by maxloxton Quote
Hi,

I have been using my 645z for last four years without any issues until recently. I turned my camera off after taking few photos off only to realize that it turned On after a minute or so later itself. The button is still Off but I can browse through whole menu and even click the shutter. I did factory reset, pulled the battery out but to no avail.

I even downloaded the latest firmware but it is not helping. As the camera is no longer in warranty I think I need to send it to service center for a look.

Has any of the guys happened to have such problem with their 645z. Any suggestions / ideas will be helpful.

Regards
Bummer. As a work around, until repaired, can you just remove the battery to turn it off and reinstall the battery to turn it back on? Awkward, but not impossible to work with.

Thanks,
barondla
09-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

I don't think the power switch actually interrupts power. Most things these days have a line from the Off position to the controller asking for an ordered shutdown. Same with the On position, where it asks for an ordered power up. If so, this would mean a main board replacement rather than a much simpler switch....

Of course, it still might be that the switch is no longer asking for a power down. Let's hope it is just the switch as that would be a whole lot cheaper.

Stan
I do understand that things are quite complex these days and I would wait for a trip to some Pentax Service center before deciding any route. If its a board replacement thing it will be huge cost for few years old camera.

---------- Post added 09-13-20 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Bummer. As a work around, until repaired, can you just remove the battery to turn it off and reinstall the battery to turn it back on? Awkward, but not impossible to work with.

Thanks,
barondla
The problem is that its not everytime, I have been keenly looking at what it does, it doesn't do it everytime. Since last night I have done multiple On/Off, took photos, kept it in ON position and let it Auto Off and then wait if its wakes up itself, nothing happened. I turned Off, it doesn't turn on itself. So its not everytime may be once in a while; may be changing battery or something else or simple weather impact. I was in some extreme weathers lately hot summers, Rain, humid, it may be the impact.

I am doing what you suggested as a workaround till it reaches some service center but I would still look for a couple of days how it reacts to diagnose the fault.
09-13-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: La Vienne (86), France
Posts: 221
It might be worth trying another memory card as I believe that the shutdown process includes a write to the card
09-13-2020, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
It might be worth trying another memory card as I believe that the shutdown process includes a write to the card

It happened without any cards in the slot.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, battery, board, camera, center, days, impact, medium format, pentax 645z, position, replacement, service, switch
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Ricoh GR II doesn't turn on :( fed-alxis Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-29-2019 05:40 AM
645Z - turn off the self-timer? RobertM Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 02-11-2016 02:06 PM
Nature ...there is a season, turn turn turn... littledrawe Post Your Photos! 4 09-19-2012 11:57 PM
turn left turn right... err no jeffkrol General Talk 33 04-19-2012 09:19 AM
To turn right or to turn left spura Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 04-15-2009 11:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top