Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2020, 04:53 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 645N corrected most of the flaws of the original 645 and added autofocus ...

Regards

09-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Tony,

It sounds like you know you have a winner in that Rolleiflex of yours. In your original post you said you wanted a "better MF film camera". Could you perhaps elaborate on that? Better in what way? I'm curious, as it's pretty hard to beat that Xenotar lens at any price, so better image quality is unlikely if you're looking at those 645's. I'm guessing it's ergonomics you're after; auto exposure; faster shooting; TTL metering...? TBH, I've been mulling over getting a P645 for those very same reasons.

I actually prefer the Xenotar over the Planar lens I think. They are both incredibly sharp, but the Xenotar has kind of an organic tonality to the images that is hard to describe. Just gorgeous, esp. with PanF or TriX. The Planar is equally sharp I think, but has more harsh contrast. Still excellent though - one of the highest resolving lenses out there. I haven't tried a Rolleiflex Tessar, but had a Tessar clone in an Autocord that I owned -- you are right, terrifically sharp when stopped down. I kind of regret selling that camera actually, but I had four TLRs at the time and hardly used it.

Re. prism and grip for the Rolleiflex -- I tried this with a Mamiya C330 that I owned, and I loved how the camera handled after adding those. Really great for quick shooting, and well worth doing. I might add a prism to my Rolleiflex at some point, but I use it mostly for nature and landscapes so prefer the WLF for that.

Best,
Svend
Svend,

Oh, by better I meant the Seagull 4B...since the Rolleiflex is not currently functional. I've got a roll of HP5 in the Seagull now, so I'm going to see how that triplet performs. In not expecting much from it, but I'll try to keep my exposures at f/8 or f/11...might be hard to do with 400 iso and 1/300 top speed...I'll probably intentionally overexposed a little with HP5 can handle well.

---------- Post added 09-26-20 at 06:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
The 645N corrected most of the flaws of the original 645 and added autofocus ...

Regards
I did notice the user ratings for the AFs were usually higher than the As. Both were good though...like 9.5 vs 9.0... I plan to scan negatives so even CA and other flaws can be corrected in PP.

Part of what's pushing me to get a MF now is that fall is coming to upstate New York and I've planned a few days at Letchworth Park (Grand Canyon of NY ). I'd want to shoot some fall foliage with a MF this year. The Rolleiflex repair will probably take a couple of months to turn around....

https://images.app.goo.gl/BsWRygqKC9Af2FRBA
09-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Tony,
Understood re the Seagull. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

Letchworth! Wonderful place. We hiked there with our good friends from Rochester and loved it. Fall colours are just starting here in our area, just a bit farther north of there, so it won't be long 'til they get going in Upstate. Better hurry up and get that 645 :-)

Best,
Svend
09-26-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fall is almost here, up North in Canada. This is a digital picture but I hope it warms your heart !

09-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote

Oh, by better I meant the Seagull 4B...since the Rolleiflex is not currently functional. I've got a roll of HP5 in the Seagull now, so I'm going to see how that triplet performs.
My first non-point and shoot was a Yashica MAT TLR. They didn't have the optics of a Rollei, but they were more dependable. When the Seagull came out (earlier version than the 4B), I immediately bought one because of the price. I found the optics similar to what came with the Yashica but found the shutter release mechanism extremely fragile and just gave up on it.

I hope Seagull improved on reliability.
09-26-2020, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Hi Tony,

Understood re the Seagull. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

Letchworth! Wonderful place. We hiked there with our good friends from Rochester and loved it. Fall colours are just starting here in our area, just a bit farther north of there, so it won't be long 'til they get going in Upstate. Better hurry up and get that 645 :-)

Best,

Svend
Well I'm staying at Letchworth on 10/26... My wedding anniversary...usually peak time is 2 or 3 week of Oct...so hopefully it will peak on the 3rd week this year.

---------- Post added 09-26-20 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
My first non-point and shoot was a Yashica MAT TLR. They didn't have the optics of a Rollei, but they were more dependable. When the Seagull came out (earlier version than the 4B), I immediately bought one because of the price. I found the optics similar to what came with the Yashica but found the shutter release mechanism extremely fragile and just gave up on it.

I hope Seagull improved on reliability.
My first medium format was a Yashicamat 124G. I sold it to a friend but later bought a number of other Yashicamats. They were easy to fix so I'd pick them up "As Is" for $20-$30 and fix them up and sell for $80-$100. I've only used the Yashinon lens which is a Tessar formula lens. The yashicors were the triplet formula and lesser quality. The Seagull 4A has the 4 element and the 4B has the 3 element lens. I thought about getting a 124 or 124G, but the prices are high $200s or more and most of the time they are in need of some repair...the meter's dead, the slow speeds stick, self timer doesn't work...etc.
09-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what the Seagull is like, but there's the odd triplet that is really sharp. I've had a few in old folders from the '50s. A Zeiss Novar was soft, but Agfa Apotar and Rodenstock Trinar were excellent. Really surprised me actually...didn’t expect anything like it from such simple lenses. Hope yours is a winner.

Enjoy Letchworth. Special place.

09-30-2020, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for your input. I opted for a 645. Got it with the 55, 75 and 80-160 for $500...about $625 with tax and shipping.

09-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks all for your input. I opted for a 645. Got it with the 55, 75 and 80-160 for $500...about $625 with tax and shipping.
Score, I'd say.
09-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a great deal! Well done. And enjoy the camera. Let us know how you get on with it.

Rgds,
Svend
10-02-2020, 07:09 AM - 5 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Camera arrived and I've already put a roll through it. I'll probably dev and scan this weekend to confirm all is working as it should. Everything seems to work fine. Lenses are in great shape. So I bought 5 rolls of C41 film for my trip.

10-02-2020, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera arrived and I've already put a roll through it. I'll probably dev and scan this weekend to confirm all is working as it should. Everything seems to work fine. Lenses are in great shape. So I bought 5 rolls of C41 film for my trip.
Great looking set up. Hope you're taking more than 5 rolls of film on the trip. That's less than 80 shots. Enjoy and please post some pics when time permits.

Thanks,
barondla
10-02-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great looking set up. Hope you're taking more than 5 rolls of film on the trip. That's less than 80 shots. Enjoy and please post some pics when time permits.

Thanks,

barondla
Well...I'll have my K-70 and probably take a couple 35mm film cameras...probably my Nikon F2A and Pentax MX. (Or I might put a roll of color in my Exakta VXIIa) I've got 2 rolls of 36exp Delta 100 and 2 more rolls of 24exp Kodak Gold. Luckily I'm driving because I'll need 2 camera bags. I'm going to make a long weekend of it and I might stop in Allegheny State Park...Which is at the northern tip if the Allegheny National Forest...in NY on the PA border. There's some giant rock formations there that make for some cool pics.

https://images.app.goo.gl/EnR2y6WWCZ8NFQ2C9