Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
buy a used 645z, you wont regret it.
According to their profile, they already own a 645D and 645Z.

Steve

09-29-2020, 10:29 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by grantsarichev Quote
I want a mid-range camera that will allow me to go beyond the studio and allow relatively dynamic footage (e.g. weddings). This requires good image stabilization and fast phase detection autofocus (in addition to low-light photography, it's great to have a backlit sensor(BSI)). I have listed all Fujifilm functions, but I think that Pentax is able to release such a beast, since its camera is already 5 years old and if something new is released, then again with the expectation of 5 years)

Get a mirrorless FF camera, or DSLR FF, you’ll get all that, and for weddings is the only thing I would use. Medium format is not for weddings, you can do a bridal portrait photoshoot, but the actual ceremony and party? I wouldn’t do it.

The focus on the 50S is not that fast. On the GFX 100 is a lot better, but not anywhere near that of a mirrorless FF camera.

I don’t know when or if Pentax will release another medium format camera. I still can’t buy a used 645Z, only have the 645D.
09-30-2020, 02:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm sure a 645Z replacement is in the planning. We just have to wait and see when and how.

I wish Pentax buys some insanely expensive 6x7 gazillion Mp CMOS-sensors and make a limited series of 67D cameras, and maybe even a modern AF prime to go with it. Schneider-Kreuznach may have some suitable optical formulas for license production.
09-30-2020, 03:40 AM   #49

Original Poster
do you think this is possible in 2021?

09-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

When the Ricoh company plans to release a medium format camera with 100px and can be a 100mm matrix?
To answer your question as directly as possible: no one (who hasn't signed an NDA) outside of Ricoh-Pentax knows. Ricoh-Pentax's last public statements about medium format digital were that they were not abandoning it, and that they were watching the market. That's it. Ricoh-Pentax are very tight lipped, more so than other companies perhaps. This summer's series of statements was something of a change for them. I'll also remind people that the 645D was a big surprise, and the 645Z also (maybe an even bigger one). The K1 was the last time I can recall, before this summer, that Ricoh-Pentax coyly teased that something big was coming.

Question for you: didn't we members discuss this with you at some length in another thread?
09-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #51

Original Poster
no, we did not discuss the issue of the new matrix
09-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #52
Pentaxian

If you want a 100 megapixel medium format sensor get a Phase One or Hasselblad or the crop medium format Fuji.

You will be waiting a long time for Pentax to put one out.

09-30-2020, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

no, we did not discuss the issue of the new matrix
What is the matrix?

...or this?
OK...I will play along.

When the Ricoh company plans to release a medium format camera with 100px and can be a 100mm matrix?
It is highly unlikely that Ricoh will develop a 100px camera. If there is something called the 100mm matrix, it is a deeply guarded secret and not something to be discussed on the open forum...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-30-2020 at 06:19 PM.
09-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This seems like a continuation of your previous thread: Pentax 645Z next model - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

The short answer is: No-one knows.
10-01-2020, 04:38 AM   #55

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
If you want a 100 megapixel medium format sensor get a Phase One or Hasselblad or the crop medium format Fuji.

You will be waiting a long time for Pentax to put one out.
are there such models in the region of $ 10,000?
10-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the Fuji.
10-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #57

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, the Fuji.
no , not crop medium.I mean Phase One or Hussel,it may not be 100mpx, but not cropped medium
10-01-2020, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

no , not crop medium.I mean Phase One or Hussel,it may not be 100mpx, but not cropped medium
This is starting to read a lot like the other thread.

A few straight answers...
  • Nobody makes a full format (56 x 41.5mm) 645 digital camera.
  • If Ricoh/Pentax has such a camera in the pipeline, there is no rumor.
  • If Ricoh/Pentax had a 100Mpx camera in the pipeline, there is no rumor.
  • Whether such a camera would cost in the region of $10,000 is unknown.
  • The cost of existing 100Mpx digital cameras is well-known.
  • One does not need to do much market research or Google work to determine the above.
  • Regardless of how many comments on this or the other thread, Ricoh/Pentax is not likely to take note.

What is the 100mm Matrix?

Steve

(...something is fishy...)
10-01-2020, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking personally, I think there is limited usefulness in speculation or threads speculating about, or suggesting changes/improvements to Pentax. It's probably worth a thread or two occasionally - firstly because it's fun for us and also because I do believe Pentax people look at this forum as a source of information about the views of users (even though they don't reply or participate here). However, since no one who knows anything will ever say a word, I agree with the view above that repeated or protracted threads like this don't really achieve much.

Just my two pennies' worth :-)

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 10-02-2020 at 12:21 AM.
10-02-2020, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Hi,

As I mentioned in the other thread, the Sony 50 MP sensor is being phased out. There always comes a time when a part supplier says The End, My Friend. Then it is time for a Last Time Buy of the part and one has to begin anew with R+D.

So, the easy choice is the 100 MP part. So, I expect to to either see a 645Y come along or the end of the 645Z with no replacement. I doubt they will just drop off the medium format map. So, I look for a 645Y.

And, I don't need a NDA to figure this. I've been in R+D since 1981. This is how these things go. Part A becomes unobtanium and so we need a New Part . And then we add new features and make a new model. 645Y is my own take on a model number. They might call it 645Z mark II.

As far as the physically larger 150 MP sensor, maybe. As in maybe the lenses hold up to that. Maybe some redesign there for more DFA ones. They could do this. Maybe they will. But, they'd have to address the crop format unit first.

As far as timing goes, how many 50 MP chips did they buy in that last order and what is their production rate for the 645Z? I'm betting on two years worth. Unless they had the 645Y underway, which they might have because of the Fuji 100. But, there is that need for an NDA again to know. Which, I don't have. Just my crystal ball of experience.

Stan