Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2020, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the Sony sensors aimed at the consumer camera market. Draw your own conclusions:
Products?Image Sensor?Consumer Camera?products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group
and the industrial ones:
Products?Image Sensor?Industry?Products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group

10-02-2020, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grantsarichev Quote
Hi,man!Thanks for the answer, I see that you are well versed in the matter. I agree with you that there is nothing new in the 50s either (although there are more AF points). So I see a "SAFOX II TTL phase-matching" autofocus system in Pentax 645Z (but fewer AF points), and contrast autofocus (with a large number of points) in Fuji 50s, from the reviews I saw that Fuji has faster autofocusing, but as far as I know, phase detection autofocus is faster, so where do you think it is faster? And a global issue; I want a universal medium format camera with full frame functions (fast phase detection autofocus, image stabilization, etc.), and I see trends for this, for example Fuji GFX 100. I'm willing to pay that kind of money, but I would like to have such a Pentax and not a Fuji (although they say it's amazing not only because of megapixels, but has a divine color rendering, I would like to hear your opinion about this), and I want to understand when you can expect something like that? What advantages can you personally say for Fuji 50s and Pentax 645Z when you compare them. Thanks for the excellent answers
If you really want to understand what the 645z offers in MF and whether MF is suitable for your style of photography, then I suggest to first look at the competitors like phase one and hasselblad that use the same 51m sensor. You won't find many of the FF features you are looking for in the those cameras.

Technology, physics and cost are major obstacles once you move from FF to MF.

I suggest not to look at the Z as a replacement for FF or APS-C cameras, MF is a tool (genre?) of it's own. Many MF shots cannot be replicated in FF because MF has a certain look where the bokeh rolls off creating an almost 3D look. Not all shots have this, but if your stars line up you'll get your shot. FF or APS-C don't have that capability. The full frame 645 version will create this look much easier, because the 51m sensor is essentially a crop frame 645.

Just my 10 cents...
10-02-2020, 08:28 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is starting to read a lot like the other thread.
Indeed, as I mentioned before...

QuoteQuote:
(...something is fishy...)
One reason I am still engaged here is because I'm monitoring the thread.
10-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Here's the Sony sensors aimed at the consumer camera market. Draw your own conclusions:
Products?Image Sensor?Consumer Camera?products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group
and the industrial ones:
Those are interesting links...one reason being that there seem to be some sensors missing from the consumer chart.

10-02-2020, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
and the industrial ones:
The IMX411 active sensor size appears to be nearly full frame in Pentax 645 MF. How convenient.

66.7 (3/5) = 40mm; 66.7 (4/5) = 53mm

c.f. 41.5 mm × 56mm film area (69.7mm diagonal).
10-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah...my heart is starting to beat a tick faster

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
The IMX411 active sensor size appears to be nearly full frame in Pentax 645 MF. How convenient.

66.7 (3/5) = 40mm; 66.7 (4/5) = 53mm

c.f. 41.5 mm × 56mm film area (69.7mm diagonal).
Very convenient indeed....
10-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Very convenient indeed....
Indeed!

The datasheet (https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX411ALR_AQR_Flyer.pdf) shows that it has a photosensitive area of 40mm x 53.4 mm. It also includes 16-bit output albeit at a stately 2 frames per second.

(But we still don't know what "100mm matrix" means.)

10-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crop with more pixels or FF?

Which would you rather have? Think I'd pick FF, but I'd have to check my lenses for coverage. Also depends on price. How many different crop 645 focal lengths are there?

Thanks,
barondla
10-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Indeed!

The datasheet (https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX411ALR_AQR_Flyer.pdf) shows that it has a photosensitive area of 40mm x 53.4 mm. It also includes 16-bit output albeit at a stately 2 frames per second.

(But we still don't know what "100mm matrix" means.)
Yeah, that's stately all right. Maybe it has a lower bit faster rate? But for what I do, 16 bit at 2fps would be just fine. It's faster than the tether I think!
10-02-2020, 12:18 PM - 3 Likes   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Which would you rather have? Think I'd pick FF, but I'd have to check my lenses for coverage. Also depends on price. How many different crop 645 focal lengths are there?

Thanks,
barondla
I think there's just 2, and one is mostly crop because of the hood (which is metal and integral, but still can be modified as I understand it.). I don't think coverage would be an issue for a lot of the lenses (with respect to off of center sharpness drop offs).

The thing with FF or crop for me is a little complicated. I'll bet FF 645 would cost a bunch--I'd have to get a loan, and I'm not sure I could. But it would be pretty future proof in terms of output in my field---I'd compete favorably with Phase One institutional based cameras.

OTOH, a crop camera with IBIS (and what comes with it, composition adjustment and especially PS), better video, a bit faster, several other tweaks I won't go into, could be functionally a better camera for me for my pro work as it is today and most likely the next several years.
10-02-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
The thing with FF or crop for me is a little complicated.
The choices at present are crop, not-so crop, and even less crop. Nobody provides true FF 645 (0.62075 crop factor).

Steve
10-02-2020, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Thanks,
barondla
I would prefer the FF. Before I sold my 645 film camera I took a few pictures with the 28-45 and could not see any vignetting on the film. So with a bit of luck I think it may just work fine on the FF sensor since I think even the FF sensor is slightly smaller than the film - not sure.

For my purposes, I need only two improvements on the Z, a much bigger and faster buffer (relatively speaking), even less noise at high ISO up to 100k. All other improvements will be gravy for me. :-)
10-02-2020, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The chip appears to have a large number of modes related to resolution and readout. So, without pulling up the flier again, I think that there are modes that can provide higher frame rates at some cost in other parameters.

It used to be that effort was needed for a CRT to provide more than 10 distinguishable shades of gray. And here we are being presented 16-bit readouts.
10-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I would prefer the FF. Before I sold my 645 film camera I took a few pictures with the 28-45 and could not see any vignetting on the film. So with a bit of luck I think it may just work fine on the FF sensor since I think even the FF sensor is slightly smaller than the film - not sure.

For my purposes, I need only two improvements on the Z, a much bigger and faster buffer (relatively speaking), even less noise at high ISO up to 100k. All other improvements will be gravy for me. :-)
Good to hear on the 28-45!
10-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Traditionally the 645 line is updated after the APS-c flagship. But it could still be year or two.