Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2020, 05:53 AM   #1

Pentax 645Z next model

H Dear Pentax, I want to know, you want to release a new model of pentax 645z, and if yes, so when it will be? It's most important for me, since I'm want to buy Pentax 645z, but it's old version for me. If you schedule to release new model, I will wait. But if not, I will buy the other camera, Fuji 50s.

09-25-2020, 06:39 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

OK, I'll bite.

Well, I think there will be a 645Y using the Sony 100 MP 44x33mm IMX461 sensor. Probably within a year. I notice that Sony has dropped the 50 MP 44x33mm sensor from their sensor catalog. That tells me they are running end-of-life on that part.

What I wanna know is Pentax also thinking 645X using the physically larger 150 MP Sony IMX411 sensor which is 66.7mm diagonal (54x40mm)?

The model numbers are my own, of course, based on running the alphabet backwards.

Now, keep in mind that should they announce a 645Y within a year, your chances of getting one within that year is pretty slim. I expect short supply and high demand. So, figure another year from announce to actually get one.

You might want one of those $3k refurbs Pentax has at the moment. Shoot with that for a couple years and then upgrade.

Stan

Last edited by w2ck; 09-25-2020 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added physical size for the IMX411 sensor
09-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
645Y
645X
It's really fun to think about the image quality of these cameras when you add in all the new tech that has been released since the z, and the supposed K-New tech too.
09-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi,

Another interesting point about these Sony MF sensors is that they also offer them in monochrome. So, that brings up the possibility of variants. Pentax 645Ym, anyone?

Stan

09-25-2020, 07:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi,

OK, I'll bite.

Well, I think there will be a 645Y using the Sony 100 MP 44x33mm IMX461 sensor. Probably within a year. I notice that Sony has dropped the 50 MP 44x33mm sensor from their sensor catalog. That tells me they are running end-of-life on that part.

What I wanna know is Pentax also thinking 645X using the physically larger 150 MP Sony IMX411 sensor which is 66.7mm diagonal (54x40mm)?

The model numbers are my own, of course, based on running the alphabet backwards.

Now, keep in mind that should they announce a 645Y within a year, your chances of getting one within that year is pretty slim. I expect short supply and high demand. So, figure another year from announce to actually get one.

You might want one of those $3k refurbs Pentax has at the moment. Shoot with that for a couple years and then upgrade.

Stan
I will do my best to get it right after the release, it is important for me to understand what is the likelihood that the release will be in 2020(do you suppose or have a reliable source of information? hahah)? If we are talking about a 100 megapixel sensor, what do you think will be the approximate price (such a model costs 10,000 for a Fuji gfx 100)? And what do you think about the possibility of in-matrix stabilization?
09-25-2020, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that 100MP the only 44x33 sensor available now?

From my point of view as a long time observer - Pentax doesn't just release stuff at random. They will analyze the lens lineup and if they think that the lenses aren't up to par to the 100MP sensor, they're not going to release a camera with it, especially if they think that 100MP is not only not necessary, but maybe a hindrance to professional workflow.
If they do think there's a good case for it, you can bet they are also revising and/or creating a new subset of lenses with enough resolution to make use of the new sensor.

I *think* we will see a sucessor to the K-1 before a sucessor to the 645Z. The 645Z is still absolutely superb. The K-1II is for certain uses, but it could use a newer sensor with faster readout combined with a new processor for more FPS, and a larger buffer.
09-25-2020, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grantsarichev Quote
I will do my best to get it right after the release, it is important for me to understand what is the likelihood that the release will be in 2020(do you suppose or have a reliable source of information? hahah)? If we are talking about a 100 megapixel sensor, what do you think will be the approximate price (such a model costs 10,000 for a Fuji gfx 100)? And what do you think about the possibility of in-matrix stabilization?
No chance of a new 645 in 2020.

09-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dear Pentax, I want to know, you want to release a new model of pentax 645z, and if yes, so when it will be?
Just to be sure, you understand this is not an official Pentax website? No one here has any official relationship with Pentax.

But if you want idle speculation then my thoughts are that there will be a replacement for the K-1 in either 2021 or 2022. If there is another camera in the 645 line it will be no sooner than 2023 and possibly later. But I would think the possibility of a new 645 camera is much less than 50%. Pentax seems to have lost any enthusiasm for medium format since Fuji introduced theirs. Just my opinion and based only on speculation.
09-25-2020, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

H Dear Pentax, I want to know, you want to release a new model of pentax 645z, and if yes, so when it will be? It's most important for me, since I'm want to buy Pentax 645z, but it's old version for me. If you schedule to release new model, I will wait. But if not, I will buy the other camera, Fuji 50s.
So, here are my thoughts. I use my Z professionally in a museum setting under exacting standards. My camera is the best one being used by anyone at my museum . I have been using it since May 2014. Still fantastic. The only better cameras being used around my area are all Phase One's, at nose bleed prices.

If you have tons of money, then by all means buy a Fuji and their fine lenses. It's really gonna cost you. But if you are either wealthy, or have billables that allow for such a capital investment, then by all means go for it. If, OTOH you are more in my income bracket, then I advise you to get a Z and some lenses asap. The difference in price/performance between the Fuji 50 and the Z is negligible, but with the Pentax you have a huge used market for native lenses, many a silly low prices.
09-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My belief is that adding pixel shift to the 645Z (@wa2kqy can invent a letter designation) would be more useful given the display technologies in wide use. With pixel shift one could get full three color imaging at the 51 megapixel level. That's beyond quad 4k display resolution. A resulting physical print would have to be fairly large to pixel peep with the naked eye. You could potentially get some added base motion stability, and the existing optics would be compatible.
09-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
The reason why I am interested in the 645Z update is not megapixels, but rather the addition of intra-matrix stabilization there (the possibility of interactive shooting with a medium format camera), because the quality of the 645Z is excellent in any case.
09-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Isn’t Fuji 50 s about the same price as 645 Z and most of it is about the same, or even less than what 645 Z is. If there will be ’new’ 645 from Pentax, it will be around Fuji 100 price range. Maybe even more? The thing is that if you are looking for MILC crop 645 and possibility to attach third Party lenses like Canon FF lenses, then go with Fuji.
Next Pentax will be with mirror. Based on what is the most recent they are coming up with from aps-c Front. I personally have no doubt that they would not go and make next model after dust has settled with K-new(and covid, cross yer fingers).
09-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The reason why I am interested in the 645Z update is not megapixels, but rather the addition of intra-matrix stabilization there (the possibility of interactive shooting with a medium format camera), because the quality of the 645Z is excellent in any case.
What is intra-matrix stabilization? I did a search and just came up with cosmetic cream.
09-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
What is intra-matrix stabilization? I did a search and just came up with cosmetic cream.
ha ha ha)) I mean Image Stabilization
09-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Ah that makes sense now. Yes it would be nice if the 645Z had that.