Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #31

Original Poster
my desire is to find out if pentax takes a step for medium format to go beyond studio (like gfx 100 for example)

09-26-2020, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grantsarichev Quote
my desire is to find out if Pentax takes a step for medium format to go beyond studio (like gfx 100 for example)
So, with respect to this question and the former one you asked me, I think the most truthful answer is: no one knows.

Jim Kasson has done extensive testing with the Fuji lenses (and lots of others on other cameras) and deems them somewhat future proof with respect to the Fuji system today and its likely next evolution. But again, Fuji has committed in its current lenses to the cropped 645 sensor size. That's not to say they won't change their minds in the future---they are a big enough company to do that---but you'll need new lenses, which = more $$$ or €€€ or £££ or ¥¥¥ or take your pick

We have no quantitative idea about the Pentax lenses because only Pentax has tested them (to give us what mtf charts we have). No independent quantitative testing has been done on these lenses at all by anyone.* What we do know definitively is that for all but one the lenses' image circles would cover a full size 645 sensor.

With respect to the comment above about pixel shift (which also brings with it composition adjustment!) and IBIS and the extra space inside the Z...I think a bunch of that extra space is there so that the camera is backward compatible with all the old lenses w/o and adapter.

For the Fuji 100, the 16bit file is a good thing, obviously, and IBIS is very much a good thing.

But if I were buying again today, I would make the same decision I did in 2014, Pentax 645Z.

* we have plenty of trustworthy positive qualitative evaluations of these lenses, and my experience is that they are very fair; and that most of these lenses are great, and will easily accommodate a move to a larger sensor in both size and mp. The standouts are the DFA 28-45, the A or DFA 35, the FA 45-80, the DFA 55, the FA 75 (and the rare LS 75, along with the rare LS 135), the DFA 90, both of the 120's, and the FA 150. Also very good are the FA 80-160, the FA 200, the 300's, and the FA 150-300 (one bad review here pulled its score down, all the rest of us think its great). A couple of the other lenses have recently found renewed love and are being re-evaluated.
09-26-2020, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
So, with respect to this question and the former one you asked me, I think the most truthful answer is: no one knows.

Jim Kasson has done extensive testing with the Fuji lenses (and lots of others on other cameras) and deems them somewhat future proof with respect to the Fuji system today and its likely next evolution. But again, Fuji has committed in its current lenses to the cropped 645 sensor size. That's not to say they won't change their minds in the future---they are a big enough company to do that---but you'll need new lenses, which = more $$$ or €€€ or £££ or ¥¥¥ or take your pick

We have no quantitative idea about the Pentax lenses because only Pentax has tested them (to give us what mtf charts we have). No independent quantitative testing has been done on these lenses at all by anyone.* What we do know definitively is that for all but one the lenses' image circles would cover a full size 645 sensor.

With respect to the comment above about pixel shift (which also brings with it composition adjustment!) and IBIS and the extra space inside the Z...I think a bunch of that extra space is there so that the camera is backward compatible with all the old lenses w/o and adapter.

For the Fuji 100, the 16bit file is a good thing, obviously, and IBIS is very much a good thing.

But if I were buying again today, I would make the same decision I did in 2014, Pentax 645Z.

* we have plenty of trustworthy positive qualitative evaluations of these lenses, and my experience is that they are very fair; and that most of these lenses are great, and will easily accommodate a move to a larger sensor in both size and mp. The standouts are the DFA 28-45, the A or DFA 35, the FA 45-80, the DFA 55, the FA 75 (and the rare LS 75, along with the rare LS 135), the DFA 90, both of the 120's, and the FA 150. Also very good are the FA 80-160, the FA 200, the 300's, and the FA 150-300 (one bad review here pulled its score down, all the rest of us think its great). A couple of the other lenses have recently found renewed love and are being re-evaluated.
Thanks for the answer. In 2019, giving an interview, the Ricoh head said that there would certainly be a development of a new medium format player (they signed a contract with Sony for their 100MP sensor), and we are also talking about increasing the matrix to 50. I think this means something, I think it was said for a reason , and in fact it is very logical for Pentax to continue the medium format business, there is no other way out, what to do, it is not profitable for him to focus only on FF, he will not be able to win there in price as in the average format where he gives a qualitatively low price, in FF there is dinosaurs like canon , sony, nikon that make big and frequent strides at a reasonable cost, pentax is far from that. I THINK HE WILL BE FORCED TO RELEASE A NEW FLAGMAN
09-27-2020, 04:08 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
With respect to the comment above about pixel shift (which also brings with it composition adjustment!) and IBIS and the extra space inside the Z...I think a bunch of that extra space is there so that the camera is backward compatible with all the old lenses w/o and adapter. ...
The space between digital sensor and lens flange is of course the same as between the film plane and lens flange of the film cameras. However, if you look at a 645/645N/... film camera film cassette, there is a lot of distance between the film plane and the back of the camera. That distance was retained in the 645D/Z cameras and likely is partly filled with electronics. (See part 5 of Adam's review.) Since electronics are usually amenable to future compaction, I consider it plausible that electromechanical 'stuff' could also be fitted to achieve a pixel shift version, w/ or w/o IBIS.

kas

P.S. Here is the D cutout image I obtained at some point.

Attached Images

09-27-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
buy a used 645z, you wont regret it.
09-27-2020, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
The space between digital sensor and lens flange is of course the same as between the film plane and lens flange of the film cameras. However, if you look at a 645/645N/... film camera film cassette, there is a lot of distance between the film plane and the back of the camera. That distance was retained in the 645D/Z cameras and likely is partly filled with electronics. (See part 5 of Adam's review.) Since electronics are usually amenable to future compaction, I consider it plausible that electromechanical 'stuff' could also be fitted to achieve a pixel shift version, w/ or w/o IBIS.

kas

P.S. Here is the D cutout image I obtained at some point.
Could I buy this "half 645D" at half price ?
09-27-2020, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Could I buy this "half 645D" at half price ?
Only if you also buy the half lens at half price.

Unfortunately, the half lens focuses on the part of the sensor that is cut away.*

Late edit: In the interest of technical verisimilitude, I have to note that the principle ray is always lost, and if a fisheye lens assembly, essentially all of the ray bundle is lost. To the extent that a lens group acts as a thin lens, then some left-hand scenery rays make it to the right-hand sensor area.

Last edited by kaseki; 09-28-2020 at 08:51 AM.
09-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shucks ! Too bad !

Regards
09-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by grantsarichev Quote
ha ha ha)) I mean Image Stabilization
As far as I know, the only medium format camera that has image stabilization is the fuji GFX 100. And that’s about $15,000 USD with a couple of lenses.

What type of photography you do?
09-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
As far as I know, the only medium format camera that has image stabilization is the fuji GFX 100. And that’s about $15,000 USD with a couple of lenses.

What type of photography you do?
I want a mid-range camera that will allow me to go beyond the studio and allow relatively dynamic footage (e.g. weddings). This requires good image stabilization and fast phase detection autofocus (in addition to low-light photography, it's great to have a backlit sensor(BSI)). I have listed all Fujifilm functions, but I think that Pentax is able to release such a beast, since its camera is already 5 years old and if something new is released, then again with the expectation of 5 years)
09-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #41

Original Poster
New 100mm matrix

When the Ricoh company plans to release a medium format camera with 100px and can be a 100mm matrix?
09-29-2020, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

See this recent thread...

Pentax 645Z next model - PentaxForums.com

Addendum: Just for clarity...Ricoh/Pentax does not monitor this forum and has never responded to a challenge from a forum post here and neither did Hoya nor Pentax in the 13 years I have been a member here.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2020 at 06:55 PM.
09-29-2020, 07:27 PM - 3 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

In the plan.
09-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
In the plan.
I just started saving!!
09-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
I just started saving!!
Time is enough to save your money...

Last edited by OoKU; 09-29-2020 at 09:11 PM.