Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 645 production was jump started by the availably of the sensor. It jumped to the head of the line. Clearly there isn't another sensor of interest to come along since.

02-05-2021, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #152
Veteran Member

The 100MP 44x33mm is ruined by PDAF-array. Why use such sensor with a DSLR?

That is probably one reason why Pentax has not proceeded with an update.

But the large variant 100MP should not be PDAF type. Maybe the unit price is too expensive so far. It would however result in that "medium format look". Now I do not see any "medium format look" in GFX 50R -images.
02-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Main reason why they have not proceeded would be that they have been concentrated in other things now. And to me it looks that this work is about to be done. One more DFA* lens and prosumer Zoom. Then it is 645 line turn.
02-06-2021, 04:21 AM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote

But the large variant 100MP should not be PDAF type. Maybe the unit price is too expensive so far. It would however result in that "medium format look". Now I do not see any "medium format look" in GFX 50R -images.
Could the 100mp PDAF sensor not be modified to have the PDAF on sensor removed. I believe ever 1 in 18 lines in the sensor has these pdaf points but it's superfluous in an SLR system

02-06-2021, 04:24 AM - 3 Likes   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I really think most of the delays have been updating their processing engine. PRIME was getting really old and couldn't handle 4K video, bigger buffers, etc. Hopefully now that they have the basics done with the K-3 III they can look at updating the K-1 and 645z. It will certainly take some work, but we've seen before that Pentax is quick to share tech across camera bodies.
02-06-2021, 04:26 AM   #156

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

This is always possible of course. Sony isn't going to say until they are ready. But, I suspect the choices will continue to be either the 100 or the 150 for some time. Me? I'm rooting for the 150 for Pentax. That gives the market another choice as opposed to the Same Thing Only Different we had between the 645z and the 50s/r offerings.

Stan
I wouldn't say no the 150 - and it won't have PDAF on the sensor as it was designed for SLR cameras...and who wouldn't want 150mp. I'd use my 50mp system for a half decade or so heavily - then upgrade.

The 100 is a natural thing as no pentax digital MF camera has had a sensor larger than 44x33 - and the form of the camera and lens line up is suitably different to Fuji's to present a choice to consumers. I'd hope though they wouldn't put the phase detect on the sensor.

It seems to me Fuji are pricing quite aggressively. £5500 doesn't seem terrible for a 100mp camera.
02-06-2021, 04:37 AM   #157

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
I wouldn't say no the 150 - and it won't have PDAF on the sensor as it was designed for SLR cameras...and who wouldn't want 150mp. I'd use my 50mp system for a half decade or so heavily - then upgrade.

The 100 is a natural thing as no pentax digital MF camera has had a sensor larger than 44x33 - and the form of the camera and lens line up is suitably different to Fuji's to present a choice to consumers. I'd hope though they wouldn't put the phase detect on the sensor.

It seems to me Fuji are pricing quite aggressively. £5500 doesn't seem terrible for a 100mp camera.
"I'd hope though they wouldn't put the phase detect on the sensor". And why?

02-06-2021, 04:57 AM - 3 Likes   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by grantsarichev Quote
"I'd hope though they wouldn't put the phase detect on the sensor". And why?
Google PDAF striping and banding.

In certain conditions light can reflect off the phase detect points on the sensor creating stripes in the images - and if the cameras image engine can compensate for this it can create banding in the shadow areas. The Z7i and A7RIII are bad for it.

I wouldn't want the phase detect system onto the sensor.
02-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really think most of the delays have been updating their processing engine. PRIME was getting really old and couldn't handle 4K video, bigger buffers, etc. Hopefully now that they have the basics done with the K-3 III they can look at updating the K-1 and 645z. It will certainly take some work, but we've seen before that Pentax is quick to share tech across camera bodies.
I hadn't thought of that, but I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

My jury is out on 150. 100 would actually be excellent in either the current physical size sensor or a larger one. It would serve my professional needs in a more practical way most likely---although the 150 would be a selling point for my contracting, and would be a boon for my artwork. Might also be the last camera I would ever need.
QuoteQuote:

I agree with all of that, and it could be that because the sensor already is being manufactured, Pentax could stay in line with Fuji on the pricing side of things.
02-06-2021, 06:02 PM   #160

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I hadn't thought of that, but I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

My jury is out on 150. 100 would actually be excellent in either the current physical size sensor or a larger one. It would serve my professional needs in a more practical way most likely---although the 150 would be a selling point for my contracting, and would be a boon for my artwork. Might also be the last camera I would ever need.I agree with all of that, and it could be that because the sensor already is being manufactured, Pentax could stay in line with Fuji on the pricing side of things.
Buttt when? )))))Its number one quesrtion

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 07:04 PM ----------

In certain conditions light can reflect off the phase detect points on the sensor creating stripes in the images - and if the cameras image engine can compensate for this it can create banding in the shadow areas. The Z7i and A7RIII are bad for it.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 07:05 PM ----------

according to reviews, the gfx 100 somehow solves this problem
02-07-2021, 12:35 AM   #161
Pentaxian

Buttt when? )))))Its number one quesrtion

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 07:04 PM ----------

Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 07:05 PM ----------

I did see that and the other problem occurring because of short flange if you shoot towards bright light, like sun. In many instances it should not be problem thou.
02-07-2021, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #162
Veteran Member

Jim Kasson has tested PDAF banding on GFX100 in his 14bit vs. 16bit comparison. It looks horrible and completely ruins any gains the 16bit mode might have.

Nikon and Fuji are not able to get it right. Sony has succeeded.
02-07-2021, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #163
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jim Kasson has tested PDAF banding on GFX100 in his 14bit vs. 16bit comparison. It looks horrible and completely ruins any gains the 16bit mode might have.Nikon and Fuji are not able to get it right. Sony has succeeded.
Banding becomes visible when pulling shadows 5 stops. I never do this in my photographs. I'd be more concerned with quality of lenses, and to be honest, I think the reputation of Fuji lenses is totally made up. The reality is that Fuji GF lenses aren't as good as full frame lenses that cost half as much. At 100% zoom, that GF32-64 doesn't even come close to the Pentax 28-105 kit, which IMO is a shame.

Banding is due to PDAF cells having noise profile different from adjacent full cells. In order to mask the PDAF pattern, they just fake PDAF pixels by replacing them with the nearest neighbor pixel in the image. Banding is never a problem is real life image, it's only a pixel peeper's problem in internet forums.

---------- Post added 07-02-21 at 14:37 ----------

As a matter of fact, camera manufacturers make new cameras or new lenses based on projected business figures. We just don't know because we don't have the figures that Ricoh have in their hands to decide if they'll extend the life cycle of a camera system or not. So, it's not possible to know with certainty what Ricoh will do of their Pentax 645 line in the future. As Ricoh German product manager said in last video, the market went from 120Million total in 2011 to 15Million in 2020, the market is almost 10 times smaller now, that alone will strongly impact decisions to continue or discontinue certain product lines. As a user , we don't know.
02-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #164
Veteran Member

That is not how it is. Cheapest GF50 exceeds resolution of each single shot frame I have ever taken with a single shot FF camera. D850 & 500/4 on tripod does not the pure resolving power.

Buy your gfx before throwing such stuff.

And pdaf striping does not require pushing. Only hard contrast.
02-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is not how it is. Cheapest GF50 exceeds resolution of each single shot frame I have ever taken with a single shot FF camera. D850 & 500/4 on tripod does not the pure resolving power.

Buy your gfx before throwing such stuff.

And pdaf striping does not require pushing. Only hard contrast.
Well, the A7R4 has more MP on a smaller surface. So at least in theory would have significantly better resolution than a 50MP MF sensor. The MF sensor might have other advantages, but theoretical resolving capability wouldn't be one of them.

Relative to Pentax, would the existing lenses be able to keep up with a 150MP sensor? If not, what's the point? Pentax pretty clearly doesn't have the resources to build a whole new set of MF lenses that would only sell in very small quantities.