Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your kind words :-)

And I agree with you. I've no interest in having my images stored to the camera directly - cards just work very well, in my experience. Was just seeking to clarify what question had been raised :-). Apart from anything else, the ability to write to two cards in parallel is a powerful source of redundancy (not that I often do that, but it's good to know one can)

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 02-22-2021 at 02:14 PM.
02-22-2021, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Those numbers seem extreme to me. 8TB in the camera? I think I get something like 2,000 images an a 256mb card with my Z. It's very unusual that i would go over 500 shots on a shoot with that camera...
I was being mildly tongue in cheek

The biggest issue I can see with built in SSD is the risk of data corruption. I had it happen in the Z with a 256Gb card some years ago. At least with a card you can take it out and replace it. If the built in SSD goes kaput then the whole unit has to be sent off, and if out of warranty, that could be expensive, and seeing how long Pentax can take with repairs, I wouldn't want to contemplate that...

The most annoying thing with SD cards is that the plastic between the contacts gets loose and comes off in the slot, and then the camera cannot read any card even though it will slot in. Have had it happen a few times.
02-22-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the case of some of my star trail images, and imagining going on a trip where I might do a few of them before I get the chance to download, you weren't very far from the truth
02-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I was being mildly tongue in cheek

The biggest issue I can see with built in SSD is the risk of data corruption. I had it happen in the Z with a 256Gb card some years ago. At least with a card you can take it out and replace it. If the built in SSD goes kaput then the whole unit has to be sent off, and if out of warranty, that could be expensive, and seeing how long Pentax can take with repairs, I wouldn't want to contemplate that...

The most annoying thing with SD cards is that the plastic between the contacts gets loose and comes off in the slot, and then the camera cannot read any card even though it will slot in. Have had it happen a few times.
Delkin's Black series SD cards do away with the fragile plastic "fingers" and lock switch.
Delkin BLACK - Delkin Devices

Thanks,
barondla

02-23-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #200
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Delkin's Black series SD cards do away with the fragile plastic "fingers" and lock switch.
Delkin BLACK - Delkin Devices

Thanks,
barondla
Dude, you rock. I hadn't seen these...pricey suckers, though.

Last edited by texandrews; 02-23-2021 at 08:37 AM.
03-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New sensor!

Sony releases new medium format size sensor. They claim it isn't for the consumer market. We will see.
Sony?s new 127MP ?large format? sensor features a global shutter, but it?s not for consumer cameras: Digital Photography Review

Thanks,
barondla
03-10-2021, 02:43 AM   #202

It is for industrial use (clearly explained) and the dimension is not what we are used to see : 46,5mm x 33mm approx
Maybe there will be an equivalent for photography, but it will not be this IMX661 directly.

03-10-2021, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #203
Pentaxian

Hi,

As a photographer and as someone who has made many a vision system for industrial use, I can say no one here is likely to be happy with the output of industrial sensors. I cannot imagine that this one will be different in that regard. They are built to do only one or two things well and are not versatile enough for general photography. This one seems built for fast shooting with high resolution and I bet dollars to donuts that the dynamic range is pretty narrow.

Stan
04-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #204

I'm very happy with 645z file size, 100meg chip would be hard to deal with. Great camera except for two things, the wide lens lax of as the 25mm is really a 35mm when trying to shoot interiors very limiting. Also no wifi except for the slow flu card. Has anyone found a good wifi alternative for adding wifi to the 645z. I would assume if there is a new version it would hopefully incorporate wifi and bluetooth?
04-29-2021, 04:12 AM   #205

QuoteOriginally posted by kdphoto Quote
I'm very happy with 645z file size, 100meg chip would be hard to deal with. Great camera except for two things, the wide lens lax of as the 25mm is really a 35mm when trying to shoot interiors very limiting. Also no wifi except for the slow flu card. Has anyone found a good wifi alternative for adding wifi to the 645z. I would assume if there is a new version it would hopefully incorporate wifi and bluetooth?
I've found for landscapes the 28-45 is THE one but the field of view wouldn't work well for interiors unless you stitched a few 28mm lengthways shots together. And even then...

They need to bring out something like a 18-28 very wide zoom and newer 45mm to say 90mm weather sealed zooms eventually. The older glass is remarkably good...but it's not sealed.

100mp 44x33 would be fine but wouldn't say no to 150mp 54x45 FF MF either
04-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps the could make a 645Z s, same sensor, new AF from K3 III and everything else from the innards. The frame rate wouldn't change but everything else would be so much faster. If they could trim the size and weight even better, sell it for the current price of the 646z.
04-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Perhaps the could make a 645Z s, same sensor, new AF from K3 III and everything else from the innards. The frame rate wouldn't change but everything else would be so much faster. If they could trim the size and weight even better, sell it for the current price of the 646z.
Is that sensor still available?

Anyway, I'll pose a question to the group:

Would you rather have a new 645Z body with a higher mp sensor, but more ore less everything else the same; or one with the addition of IBIS, P/S, and composition adjustment, a better video codec maybe, better tethering, a bit better high iso performance, possibly through an accelerator chip that kicks in around iso 3200-ish, and maybe a couple of other tweaks in the menus and internal dynamics?

Tough call for me....
04-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Is that sensor still available?

Anyway, I'll pose a question to the group:

Would you rather have a new 645Z body with a higher mp sensor, but more ore less everything else the same; or one with the addition of IBIS, P/S, and composition adjustment, a better video codec maybe, better tethering, a bit better high iso performance, possibly through an accelerator chip that kicks in around iso 3200-ish, and maybe a couple of other tweaks in the menus and internal dynamics?

Tough call for me....

I would prefer (a) similar body shape and size, (b) sensor in FF (or near), (c) even better low light performance and (d) faster buffer clearance. And (e) keep the flip screen!!!

Other enhancements like IBIS and video etc, would be nice to have but not decision drivers for me.

On a side note:
To me IBIS is over rated, better preformance at high ISO is more practical/useable.
04-29-2021, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couldn't care less about video. Pixel shift, IBIS, and Composition Adjust are part time features. They only work in limited situations. More pixels/larger sensor are full time.

Thanks,
barondla
04-29-2021, 11:10 PM   #210

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Coming sooooooon,the plan of 645DII was restarted.Maybe release in next CP+.
But price will much higher than 645Z.