Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

645d - any tethering options?

Hello, I can’t seem to find any tethering software for 645d. Any suggestions or am I out of luck on that?

Thanks!

10-10-2020, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoltMan Quote
Hello, I can’t seem to find any tethering software for 645d. Any suggestions or am I out of luck on that?
For Windows you can try Wifi Commander for Pentax, the condition is for All RICOH / Pentax cameras with WiFi support built-in. I don't own them all then be patient if not all functionalities are bug free.
I always need people to help me to debug the app, Link: Wifi Commander for Pentax

Ciao Mario

Last edited by maw; 10-10-2020 at 06:09 AM. Reason: double duplicate response
10-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't it work with Pentax Image Transmitter 2?
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/imagetransmitter2/

Last edited by pid; 10-10-2020 at 06:41 AM.
10-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With my Pentax 645D I just run a line out to my monitor to see my camera controls and to view the just captured image. It works just fine for me. With my Pentax 645Z I have tethered with Lightroom. But quite frankly, 99 times out of 100 I run my Pentax 645z the exact same way. It is quicker and it works just fine. But then again I started with floppy drives, and pulling the card out of the camera and plugging it in to my computer hasn't been a problem for me. No, it is not tethering, but it is a great way to work in the studio.

10-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
For Windows you can try Wifi Commander for Pentax, the condition is for All RICOH / Pentax cameras with WiFi support built-in. I don't own them all then be patient if not all functionalities are bug free.
I always need people to help me to debug the app, Link: Wifi Commander for Pentax

Ciao Mario
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Doesn't it work with Pentax Image Transmitter 2?
IMAGE Transmitter 2 | RICOH IMAGING
Dudes...the 645D does not support WiFi. There is an option for wired tether, the original Image Transmitter for 645D, but it is a little expensive...

Pentax Image Transmitter S-SW123 Software 39030 B&H Photo Video

Steve
10-10-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Some have reported success with the late PKTether R.I.P.). I found an archived copy of the last release on the Wayback Machine (link partway down the page).

PK_Tether – Tethering software for Pentax DSLR |

Steve
10-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimpurcell Quote
With my Pentax 645D I just run a line out to my monitor to see my camera controls and to view the just captured image. It works just fine for me. With my Pentax 645Z I have tethered with Lightroom. But quite frankly, 99 times out of 100 I run my Pentax 645z the exact same way. It is quicker and it works just fine. But then again I started with floppy drives, and pulling the card out of the camera and plugging it in to my computer hasn't been a problem for me. No, it is not tethering, but it is a great way to work in the studio.
1. It depends on the type of work you do, taking many shots, I do not think it can be the best solution. But not knowing I can only congratulate you for your tenacity.

2. Wouldn't it be better to use the Pentax 645Z with Image Transmitter? The only thing I find absurd is that the software is paid for and even expensive, really absurd.

Mario

10-11-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi everyone, thanks very much for the detailed replies. I need live view for my work (1:1 macro) so probably I will sell the 645d, which I came upon after someone traded me for a GX680III system. Although I’m still considering keeping the system perhaps for landscape because there seem to be many FA645 lenses out there at a bargain price.
10-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Live view seems to exist on the 'D' just as it does on the 'Z' (I use a computer monitor connected via the HDMI port). @Thorrulz has a nice setup for use in the field. I think he described the details somewhere in the "Post your medium format photos!" thread.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/797/39827721940_fc22e19d81_b.jpg

P.S. I haven't read the 'D' manual, so it is possible that there is some difference between Z live view and whatever Thorrulz is doing with his setup.

Last edited by kaseki; 10-11-2020 at 08:10 AM.
10-11-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Hi,

The 645D is a CCD sensor unit, so no live view.

Stan
10-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

The 645D is a CCD sensor unit, so no live view.

Stan
So then one does what? Takes a candidate photo and examines it ex post hoc, keeps or deletes and tries again?

And why does being a CCD exclude live view, even if not implemented on the D? There were generations of CCD video cameras.
10-11-2020, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
And why does being a CCD exclude live view, even if not implemented on the D? There were generations of CCD video cameras.
This was explained in detail back in the day when live view first became available for Pentax with use of a CMOS sensor on the K20D. I was actually reading about this topic just the other day ago, but don't remember. I do know that if there has been a CCD dSLR camera that supports live view, I am unaware of such.

Steve
10-12-2020, 03:46 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Hi,

The CCD has to be read out in the dark, with the shutter closed or the light impinging on the photosites will smear the image. This isn't something noticed with video cameras as they are quite small and the readout speed is fast. But, you'd see it on the much larger still cameras. There was no CCD equipped still camera that offered live view that I know of.

You shoot a CCD like it was film. You get to see that image later. At least one can eyeball it on the rear screen. Can't do that with film.

Stan
10-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

The CCD has to be read out in the dark, with the shutter closed or the light impinging on the photosites will smear the image. This isn't something noticed with video cameras as they are quite small and the readout speed is fast. But, you'd see it on the much larger still cameras. There was no CCD equipped still camera that offered live view that I know of.

You shoot a CCD like it was film. You get to see that image later. At least one can eyeball it on the rear screen. Can't do that with film.

Stan
Aha! Thanks! I think I forgot about that. Presumably, that is what @Thorrulz is doing with his rig.
10-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi,

Stan
Thanks for the excellent explanation! That jives with what I researched yesterday evening.

Steve