Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2020, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I wonder how many of the 645Z sensors Pentax ordered when Sony told them it was Last Time Buy?

The way I see it, they have to go to something else sooner rather than later. And, the most likely is the Sony 100 MP part.

Of course, they could go both for that one and the larger 150 MP part. That'd be Grand! Take Pentax to a place Fuji can't follow.

Stan

10-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

I wonder how many of the 645Z sensors Pentax ordered when Sony told them it was Last Time Buy?

The way I see it, they have to go to something else sooner rather than later. And, the most likely is the Sony 100 MP part.

Of course, they could go both for that one and the larger 150 MP part. That'd be Grand! Take Pentax to a place Fuji can't follow.

Stan
I remember when first hearing of the 645D that I thought it was a wasteful move for Pentax. Spending resources on developing a camera that would become a flagship almost no one would ever see, and few would be aware of. I really wanted to see Pentax grow their DSLR lineup to better compete in the APS-C and eventually FF market - but no, selling tens of MF cameras was considered more important.
I get it. Pentax had their pro-camera cred when they had their 645 and 67 lineups competing with the likes of Mamiya, Bronica, and Hasselblad. But MF these days is a very, very tiny share of the market. And now, that tiny share is being dominated by the drive to mirrorless, only just after Pentax launched their much improved 645Z. I think Pentax can be forgiven for letting MF slide and get on with trying to make their DSLR lineup more relevant in a "only mirrorless is cool" world.