Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 89 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2020, 08:21 AM - 9 Likes   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've just deleted a total of 9 posts, by multiple members, which strayed into politics, gun rights, etc. Political discussion not related to photography is not allowed. Please stick to the thread topic.
Future such posts will be deleted as well and earn a thread ban for the poster.

10-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I heard one traveler suggest carrying your gear in a diaper bag. Of course, if you're out at odd hours, that trick might not work so well. I used to do a lot of shooting in our downtown area during hours when there weren't many people out. Only once did I feel someone was targeting me. A guy was walking down the street across from me and when he saw me with camera gear, he changed his course and started heading towards me. I reached into my bag, took out my spot meter, and stuck it in the pocket of my jacket with the handle sticking out. I think it looked enough like a gun to make him change again and go back the direction he was originally headed.
10-21-2020, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a suspicious character approach me from out of the dark, so I took a few photos of him and he turned tail and ran. This has worked for rabbits, foxes, and the occassional human.
10-21-2020, 10:09 AM - 6 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Bring some nunchuks with you?
I was doing it backwards all this time! I was chucking nuns at would-be perpetrators.

10-21-2020, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See... I go the other way. Just carry all my gear, all the time. It weighs enough that it slows any would be thief down so I can catch them.
10-21-2020, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Actually, it is a type of nerve gas and quite toxic and might actually blind your assailant.

Steve
Ditto on that. When I was 17, I worked as a projectionist at a drive-in. The boss sent me on wasp patrol to clean out all the wasp nests in the pull-up speaker holders (remember those??). With a can of wasp spray in hand, I had to unbolt the covers and fight off whatever was inside. I didn't get that much on me, but I didn't think I was going to make it through that night's movie after my days work - sick almost like the flu. After that, I just knocked the lids off and let them sit for a few hours and the wasps would leave the area pretty much, so I could clean out the nest it there was one. That's pretty powerful stuff or so I learned the hard way!

Pepper Spray is the preferred alternative but that just makes some people mad.
10-21-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strength in numbers and situational awareness is my advise. To avoid the cost of lost gear get insurance, record the serial numbers and call it a day. Insurance on things like that added as a rider to your home owner's policy or as a stand alone gear policy (these I guess also often cover droppage and damage when using them) is not a lot of money. I have a few things covered as riders on my home owners policy and I think it is only like $40-$50 extra every 6 months for all of them. Alone in a dark place in a really sketch part of town I probably wouldn't go alone at night however at my local dark place where I do most of my astro shooting I hang out there to all hours of the night alone because no one is there. I have hauled a bunch of my stuff up to a spot in St. Paul where the druggies hang out, but is a nice overlook of down town. There are usually a number of photographers up there and the druggies will leave you alone. Add in that it is a lot of foot traffic through the park and there is little worry. I would advise against having a handgun for protection more so if you don't currently own one as things can go sideways quickly.

10-21-2020, 01:08 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a cheap mobile phone that has tracking enabled and place it in the bottom of the bag make sure to turn it on with a full battery and the police can maybe recover it and if lucky catch the perp.
10-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Consider wasp spray. It has a powerful jet, maintains a reasonably solid path for many feet. Can disable a predator very quickly when aimed at the eyes. Would be normal for a nature photographer to carry this spray in case you stumble on a hornet's nest, etc. Someone once said it's like mace on steroids.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Actually, it is a type of nerve gas and quite toxic and might actually blind your assailant.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Ditto on that. When I was 17, I worked as a projectionist at a drive-in. The boss sent me on wasp patrol to clean out all the wasp nests in the pull-up speaker holders (remember those??). With a can of wasp spray in hand, I had to unbolt the covers and fight off whatever was inside. I didn't get that much on me, but I didn't think I was going to make it through that night's movie after my days work - sick almost like the flu. After that, I just knocked the lids off and let them sit for a few hours and the wasps would leave the area pretty much, so I could clean out the nest it there was one. That's pretty powerful stuff or so I learned the hard way!

Pepper Spray is the preferred alternative but that just makes some people mad.
Bear spray is pepper spray that can shoot a strong enough stream to stop a charging grizzly from 30 feet. Or so they say, I never had to test it. It's not cheap though, but it should not permanently disable someone.
10-21-2020, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am alone a lot when out and practice situational awareness. If something makes me uncomfortable I just leave the area, a picture is not worth a possible confrontation. Plus, I am 75 years old and would rather just leave if possible. If I can't leave, well being a retired LEO I conceal carry all the time. But the best thing is just to be aware of your surroundings and know your exit points.
10-21-2020, 02:24 PM - 4 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Straying slightly from topic. Many years ago, I was on a pelagic birding trip west of The Isles Of Scilly (UK). About 300 birders, all with suitable equipment. We'd been out a couple of hours when a sepulchral voice came over the PA :

'Should this vessel sink, the value of the optical equipment probably outweighs the value of the vessel.'
10-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Straying slightly from topic. Many years ago, I was on a pelagic birding trip west of The Isles Of Scilly (UK). About 300 birders, all with suitable equipment. We'd been out a couple of hours when a sepulchral voice came over the PA :

'Should this vessel sink, the value of the optical equipment probably outweighs the value of the vessel.'
There's my laugh of the day, but yikes!

Now, whether that "yikes" should be for the value of the gear, or the quality of the vessel is the real question.
10-21-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Really, planning on going to places where it would seemly be safe enough may be the best step in any case.
10-21-2020, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #29

I agree with the people emphasizing situational awareness. When I am traveling, I am less worried about getting “held up” and more worried about pick-pockets or people trying to distract me or sneak off with my camera bag. Most thieves want to steal stuff without a confrontation.

For example, when taking pictures with a tripod, I put me camera bag in front of me and not behind me. If I am at a restaurant with my camera, it is on the table in front of me and not hanging off a chair. If I am at an outdoor restaurant, on a train or at an airport, I keep the strap on my camera bag wrapped around my foot.

If someone is acting suspicious, I will stare at them and make clear, “I know you are there and I know what you look like.” In places I am a little more worried, I carry a money clip with just a few bucks and one credit card, not a full wallet..When walking, I would hold my keys sticking out between my fIngers—a good weapon that can do some damage without getting you arrested with a concealed weapon. Remember, most thieves will go for any easy target, not someone watching them and aware!

Taking Photos at night, I have had more deer sneak up on me than people!
10-21-2020, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I heard one traveler suggest carrying your gear in a diaper bag. Of course, if you're out at odd hours, that trick might not work so well. I used to do a lot of shooting in our downtown area during hours when there weren't many people out. Only once did I feel someone was targeting me. A guy was walking down the street across from me and when he saw me with camera gear, he changed his course and started heading towards me. I reached into my bag, took out my spot meter, and stuck it in the pocket of my jacket with the handle sticking out. I think it looked enough like a gun to make him change again and go back the direction he was originally headed.
Problem is getting a baby to fill a diaper to keep on top!
Closed Thread