Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 89 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone nervous carrying such an expensive bag of equipment?

The 645Z is superb for night photography and it's rekindling my love of it. I'm slightly nervous about carrying such expensive equipment at night, all alone. Used to do night shoots with friends, but they've all moved away. Anyone else apprehensive about this?

Thanks,
barondla

10-20-2020, 11:10 PM - 11 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its not a problem.

Pentax on your bag,Pentax strap.And wear a Pentax Tshirt/pullover.

Young thieves havent heard of them,Older thieves only remember them from the film era,so figure theres no market for such.
10-20-2020, 11:11 PM - 6 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The 645Z is superb for night photography and it's rekindling my love of it. I'm slightly nervous about carrying such expensive equipment at night, all alone. Used to do night shoots with friends, but they've all moved away. Anyone else apprehensive about this?

Thanks,
barondla

Depends where I am! Out in the sticks, doesn't bother me at all. In urban areas, it can be a worry - especially rougher neighbourhoods. My advice? Get insurance good enough to replace everything if it's stolen then, if anyone attacks you for it, just hand it over and save your own life :-)
10-21-2020, 01:02 AM - 6 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't live in a bubble, but over the years I've become increasingly risk-averse (or perhaps "risk-managed" is a better term) - not just with photography, but in general. When I go out, I don't carry any more money or credit / debit cards than absolutely necessary, I rarely wear a valuable watch, I dress conservatively and inconspicuously, I drive sensibly, always have an inexpensive phone with me, keep emergency items and first-aid kit in my car, and so on. In the past, I've often carried what to me is a valuable haul of photographic gear in my car, then gone for long walks carrying much of it in my bag or around my neck and leaving the rest in the car, hidden from view. These days, not so... I generally take with me only what I need, which is typically a camera and a couple of lenses, and very occasionally a tripod (that rarely gets used). Even then, I wouldn't hang around alone in areas with moderate-to-high risk of muggings and theft... or if I did, it would be with one or more friends who are as big and ugly as me I'm sure some folks would think I'm paranoid, but that's up to them. I'm not, and I don't live in fear... I just don't invite trouble, is all...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-21-2020 at 06:18 AM.
10-21-2020, 02:35 AM   #5
Unregistered User

If you're in a state that allows you the right of self-defense, be prepared. (I.e., not California, Illinois, Hawaii, New York, New Jersey,Maryland, Washington DC, or Eastern Pennsylvania.) At a minimum, sign up for Tae-Kwon Do lessons. You are your own "first responder".
10-21-2020, 03:03 AM   #6
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
More subtle than some other posters on another photography forum where they show a picture of a handgun as their insurance. Personally the idea of a death sentence without a trial for theft belongs in the dark ages, but that's just me, I guess.
Taking personal property from the person of another by threats, force or intimidation is robbery, not theft, and implies a willingness to kill on the part of the perpetrator. That's why robbery is one of the "serious felonies": rape, robbery, murder, arson, burglary. (I'd add abduction to that list, but to my knowledge, no court has done so yet.) But, since you raise the spectre of deadly force, I'd strongly suggest that anyone thinking of carrying the means for extreme self defense be well trained and conversant with the laws that govern the use of deadly force where they live and work, keeping in mind that when you cross state lines whether from France to Germany or Maryland to Virginia, the rule system and indeed the legal system itself, changes, and you've got to know what the rules are. Probably easier and cheaper to give up the camera equipment and run away screaming like a schoolgirl.
10-21-2020, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bring some nunchuks with you?

10-21-2020, 04:14 AM - 6 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a monopod with a manfrotto, cast iron swivel head, aka a mace
10-21-2020, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider wasp spray. It has a powerful jet, maintains a reasonably solid path for many feet. Can disable a predator very quickly when aimed at the eyes. Would be normal for a nature photographer to carry this spray in case you stumble on a hornet's nest, etc. Someone once said it's like mace on steroids.
10-21-2020, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Bring some nunchuks with you?
Or a pair of nuckleheads... Lol
10-21-2020, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't live in a bubble, but over the years I've become increasingly risk-averse (or perhaps "risk-managed" is a better term) - not just with photography, but in general. When I go out, I don't carry any more money or credit / debit cards than absolutely necessary, I rarely wear a valuable watch, I dress conservatively and inconspicuously, I drive sensibly, always have an inexpensive phone with me, keep emergency items and first-aid kit in my car, and so on. In the past, I've often carried what to me is a valuable haul of photographic gear in my car, then gone for long walks carrying much of it in my bag or around my neck and leaving the rest in the car, hidden from view. These days, not so... I generally take with me only what I need, which is typically a camera and a couple of lenses, and very occasionally a tripod (that rarely gets used). Even then, I wouldn't hang around alone in areas with moderate-to-high risk of muggings and theft... or if I did, it would be with one or more friends who are as big and ugly as me I'm sure some folks would think I'm paranoid, but that's up to them. I'm not, and I don't live in fear... I just don't invite trouble, is all...
No you've got an industrial flask, you travel well armed:-)

Yes, I agree with you. Take what you need. Never carry expensive gear in a camera bag that screams camera bag - better to equip, with generic foam in-fills, a nondescript backpack. Also, only photograph around dawn - pre-dawn for night shots. Completely safe at that time, pretty much anywhere. Never had any bother from dog walkers or street cleaners ...
10-21-2020, 07:09 AM - 7 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canada is a pretty safe place. In Quebec particularly, we had only 5000 original French ancestors, so we are all somewhat related. Only Montreal can be worrisome and then again.

On the other hand, when I travel in the U.S., I avoid inner cities, I keep mostly to myself, I don't argue or harass anybody and I stay in the National or State Parks campgrounds (worst encounters were a mountain lion in Texas and tarantulas in New Mexico). My equipment is out of sight in a van equipped with dark tinted windows and I rarely leave my vehicule unattended. Particularly in the desert Southwest, I consider my van to be my "survival unit".

Regards

Safest place in the U.S.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 10-21-2020 at 05:23 PM.
10-21-2020, 08:02 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Consider wasp spray. It has a powerful jet, maintains a reasonably solid path for many feet. Can disable a predator very quickly when aimed at the eyes. Would be normal for a nature photographer to carry this spray in case you stumble on a hornet's nest, etc. Someone once said it's like mace on steroids.
Actually, it is a type of nerve gas and quite toxic and might actually blind your assailant.

Steve
10-21-2020, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Anyone nervous carrying such an expensive bag of equipment?
Forget the equipment...I am nervous for myself when doing urban photography, even during the day.

Steve
10-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
.... and might actually blind your assailant....
...who then claims they were only asking to borrow a cup of maple syrup and sue you. They may, or may not prevail and may or may not have funds to cover your legal bills.
Closed Thread