Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone shoot medium format video?

See lots of full frame video shooters. Don't recall ever seeing anyone using medium format.
Thanks,
barondla

11-03-2020, 11:36 PM   #2

Probably because the 645Z video looks terrible.
11-04-2020, 01:43 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesvdm Quote
Probably because the 645Z video looks terrible.
It may not be the best quality, but terrible? From what I've seen, the 645Z is - in the right hands - capable of recording useful footage:

Pentax 645Z Hands-On Field Test With Deluxe Design Group - YouTube

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-04-2020 at 01:55 AM.
11-04-2020, 02:15 AM   #4

Of course "terrible" is relative. That video review makes clear it's unusable for professional purposes.

11-04-2020, 02:43 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course "terrible" is relative.
Sure... relative and subjective. Watching that footage I linked to on the TV in my living room, it looks great - to me. I've no doubt dedicated video aficionados might feel differently.

That video review makes clear it's unusable for professional purposes.
It's far from ideal for serious amateur film-making either... but, as a medium format DSLR designed primarily for high quality stills photography, it's good to see it can be pressed into useful service for video if required, significant limitations notwithstanding.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-04-2020 at 03:04 AM.
11-04-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes there are some who do. Here are a couple of examples.

11-04-2020, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimpurcell Quote
Yes there are some who do. Here are a couple of examples. YouTube

Very professional and well done. They look excellent to me.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

11-05-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tried to use the 645z's video, but it fails miserably in three areas, imho:

autofocus is just about non existent, manual focus is tough to do in bright sunlight, mainly because focus peaking is very poorly implemented;

although the whole of the sensor is apparently read for the image and then processed into 1920x1080 you can't access the full sensor raw data with an external recorder plugged into the hdmi socket, you get the same image as what is recorded;

it appears that the image stabilization uses a 'warp' formula similar to what you find in Premiere Pro, but only poorly executed. And quick movements and the image wabbles badly.

So of they want to go the extra mile to attract the indy video market and competition to Imax, they should bring out a couple of video/film grade lenses and allow a tap into the raw data from the sensor in video. Just the external recorder will cost more than the camera but it will be much more superior than what is available in the market.

Re the film grade lenses they need proper distance gradings marked on the focus ring and get rid of focus breathing. With the quality of lenses available already with these adaptations they will push Pentax way past some of the popular brands in terms of quality.

Just saying....

Last edited by TDvN57; 11-05-2020 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Thumbery corrections
11-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does Fuji, Hassy, or any of the other mf companies offer better video?

Thanks,
barondla
11-05-2020, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Does Fuji, Hassy, or any of the other mf companies offer better video?

Thanks,
barondla
I think the only one that offers proper 4k video is Fuji gfx100. Although it only offers 4:2:2 color on external recording, which is a pity.

They can drop the quality to 4:2:0 on internal recording, but for external recoding you want to have the option to go 8k 4:4:4 color. With a 100mpx or 150mpx sensor, it is a wasted opportunity not to give raw (4:4:4) 8k plugin for an external recorder.

At present these recorders are super expensive, but they just need to give a compatible signal, do that the recorder can be third party.

At the moment the only options for high end video in 8k raw is the canon c500 or the equivalent Sony, or higher and models of course such as Red etc. A small entry kit with a limited range of lenses can set you back 50k before you know it.

Just for home and small projects I would suggest to look at the dslr Canons or Sony have good ranges of intro video cameras. Actually the Canon C300 is not a bad camera but will soon be limited in acceptance by the major clients.

Renting might be the cheaper option...