Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 6
Lever stuck, need help!

Hi guys so I've recently bought a pentax 67 (Newer 1980s model) from a seller on ebay. He has good reviews and has been shooting with multiple pentax's for years. Upon arrival the camera is in perfect condition and everything seemed to be working.

He sent me a roll of film to accompany it and I started taking the normal procedure steps to wind the film on. I put the film through the spool lined it up to the 120 arrow and closed the back. I start advancing the film with the lever and on the first push forward the lever jams. It is still jammed to this point. I've taken the film out to avoid any exposure issues. So right now I'm left with a pentax 67 with a jammed lever. The guy has been on the phone and we have been trying multiple soulutions to fix it.

I have tried pressing the reset button with the shutter but to no avail. I've switched out different batteries I own and also used the old battery that come with it, and still no luck.

I also tried opening the back and putting the shutter on bulb setting to force the mirror to open again, no luck.

If anyone has any idea any steps I could take to unjam the lever I would be so so so unbearably thankful, this is my second time trying to buy a pentax 67 and the second issue i've ran into it

Attached Images
 
11-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 300
This is a common issue with well used 67s. Have you checked to see if the mirror is also locked up? I read where Zelig slapped his on the side to release and reset the internal magnet. Weird, but it did work. Here’s an article: Pentax 67II winding lever stuck - PentaxForums.com
11-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WhatsMyNameAD67 Quote
This is a common issue with well used 67s. Have you checked to see if the mirror is also locked up? I read where Zelig slapped his on the side to release and reset the internal magnet. Weird, but it did work. Here’s an article: Pentax 67II winding lever stuck - PentaxForums.com
Hi there, thanks for the reply! I am aware of someone saying they slapped it on the side, as well as someone mentioning applying more pressure to the lever. Problem being there's only so much I want to do this so I don't create further damage haha. But yeah appreciate you posting the article, still nothing seems to be working
11-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,207
When it jams before reaching frame 1, that is usually a mecahnical issue. When it jams after the first frame, most of the time it is caused by not having the lever advanced far enough into the stroke.

11-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noosa, Queensland (Dec-Feb)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,056
QuoteOriginally posted by WhatsMyNameAD67 Quote
This is a common issue with well used 67s. Have you checked to see if the mirror is also locked up? I read where Zelig slapped his on the side to release and reset the internal magnet. Weird, but it did work. Here’s an article: Pentax 67II winding lever stuck - PentaxForums.com

The camera being referred to in this post is a Pentax 67, the original 67, not the 67II which proceeded it.
Internet nonsense about slapping, banging and generally mistreating these cameras is one of the reasons the market is seeing so many of these cameras with intractable faults and damage.

With the lever stuck, get a toothpick and depress the recessed reset button to the left of the mirror box. Then fire the shutter and attempt to wind the lever through its full cycle. I have seen this procedure done on an older 6x7 and it worked, but it then highlighted a fault in the winding mechanism, again, something that is common in the older 6x7 cameras than the newer (1989 onward) 67. It is worth trying this just to see if it clears the jam.

When winding the 67, the wind-on stroke must be completed in one fell-swoop, not broken into one or two small efforts, just one big wind. The lever must then be guided back to its resting position flush with the case, never allowed to 'flap' back.

Try the reset procedure and see what happens.
11-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
The camera being referred to in this post is a Pentax 67, the original 67, not the 67II which proceeded it.
Internet nonsense about slapping, banging and generally mistreating these cameras is one of the reasons the market is seeing so many of these cameras with intractable faults and damage.

With the lever stuck, get a toothpick and depress the recessed reset button to the left of the mirror box. Then fire the shutter and attempt to wind the lever through its full cycle. I have seen this procedure done on an older 6x7 and it worked, but it then highlighted a fault in the winding mechanism, again, something that is common in the older 6x7 cameras than the newer (1989 onward) 67. It is worth trying this just to see if it clears the jam.

When winding the 67, the wind-on stroke must be completed in one fell-swoop, not broken into one or two small efforts, just one big wind. The lever must then be guided back to its resting position flush with the case, never allowed to 'flap' back.

Try the reset procedure and see what happens.
Hi there thanks for the detailed response really do appreciate your time. I've been trying the reset and shutter release multiple times now, done it in various different ways - With the shutter open, closed, loaded film, and each time nothing seems to happen, no shutter release, no lever release, nothing. It's strange becaause I've seen videos of people doing the exact same thing and it fixes whatever their issue is. Because this is having no effect I'm starting to think it could be a mechanical issue? :/
11-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
When it jams before reaching frame 1, that is usually a mecahnical issue. When it jams after the first frame, most of the time it is caused by not having the lever advanced far enough into the stroke.
Yean this was the case, I didn't even manage to get to the full wind it just jammed straight away after I closed the shutter. So this is a common issue with a mechanical problem then? Just so frustrating this is my second attempt of getting a Pentax from eBay and I thought this would be the one! The guy said it was in full working condition which I do strongly believe as he's been on the phone with me all day trying to help. One thing worth mentioning was beforehand I put it in the 'false' fire mode to check if the shutter was working with no film in it. It work then I tried again and the lever stiffed up for around a minute or two, then out of nowhere it sprung back into normal position. I left it until the morning to load some film and this is when I ran into the problem above.

Appreciate the reply!
11-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noosa, Queensland (Dec-Feb)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,056
QuoteOriginally posted by Archielawsonfilms Quote
Hi there thanks for the detailed response really do appreciate your time. I've been trying the reset and shutter release multiple times now, done it in various different ways - With the shutter open, closed, loaded film, and each time nothing seems to happen, no shutter release, no lever release, nothing. It's strange becaause I've seen videos of people doing the exact same thing and it fixes whatever their issue is. Because this is having no effect I'm starting to think it could be a mechanical issue? :/

I'm thinking that there is a high probability of a mechanical problem having taken over the camera. The reset procedure works more often than not (generally most reliably when the battery is exhausted), but obviously you've tried it in more than one way -- with and without film, and to no avail. I do find that troubling. I'm never keen to recommend service to these big cameras as replacements, as required, come off like-cameras, possibly even older, introducing unreliability going forward and the likelihood of more failures down the line. But second to returning the camera to the seller, if you decide to persevere, a service is recommended. This may be a journey of discovery, highlighting additional problems, beside the winding mechanism.

What is "false fire" you referred to? Or is it another way of putting 'dry firing'?

Can you whip out the battery, irrespective of how good it might be, and put a fresh one in and try working after that.

11-07-2020, 04:19 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
I'm thinking that there is a high probability of a mechanical problem having taken over the camera. The reset procedure works more often than not (generally most reliably when the battery is exhausted), but obviously you've tried it in more than one way -- with and without film, and to no avail. I do find that troubling. I'm never keen to recommend service to these big cameras as replacements, as required, come off like-cameras, possibly even older, introducing unreliability going forward and the likelihood of more failures down the line. But second to returning the camera to the seller, if you decide to persevere, a service is recommended. This may be a journey of discovery, highlighting additional problems, beside the winding mechanism.

What is "false fire" you referred to? Or is it another way of putting 'dry firing'?

Can you whip out the battery, irrespective of how good it might be, and put a fresh one in and try working after that.
Yes unfortunately it's looking likely. I've tried numerous different batteries from a new pack I've bought, as well as an old one that was put in which I received originally. Yes sorry! I meant dry firing, was just running a few tests before I put film in to make sure everything is alright. Seem to be on these forums a lot Silent Street! Appreciate your efforts to help!
11-07-2020, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noosa, Queensland (Dec-Feb)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,056
QuoteOriginally posted by Archielawsonfilms Quote
Yes unfortunately it's looking likely. I've tried numerous different batteries from a new pack I've bought, as well as an old one that was put in which I received originally. Yes sorry! I meant dry firing, was just running a few tests before I put film in to make sure everything is alright. Seem to be on these forums a lot Silent Street! Appreciate your efforts to help!

You're having a bad trot. I'm sorry your experience has not been as positive as most people's pick-it-up-and-start-shooting introduction. As you can appreciate, it is very difficult to arrive at a conclusive diagnosis by to-ing and fro-ing on a forum, but that doesn't stop us from trying!

Where I am it is now too hot outside for photography (close to 36°, full sun). Will be 40°c tomorr'a, Monday...
11-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
You're having a bad trot. I'm sorry your experience has not been as positive as most people's pick-it-up-and-start-shooting introduction. As you can appreciate, it is very difficult to arrive at a conclusive diagnosis by to-ing and fro-ing on a forum, but that doesn't stop us from trying!

Where I am it is now too hot outside for photography (close to 36°, full sun). Will be 40°c tomorr'a, Monday...
Hahahhaha blimey, can definitely tell you that the weather is not that warm over here in England! More worried about the rain stopping me shooting let alone the heat haha! Just an update for anyone finding this thread from a keysearch in google. In the end I had to go and get it repaired, as suspected it was internal damage and the gear for the lever was bent. I encourage you try all solutions first before sending it for a repair as some people may still charge you for a minor fix.

Went and got my first rolled developed today, happy days! - thanks everyone for the help.
11-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noosa, Queensland (Dec-Feb)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,056
Fantastic outcome!

Very pleased for you. The super trooper of big cameras lives another day!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, film, lever, luck, medium format, pentax, pentax67, shutter, steps
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pentax ME shutter is stuck and film advance lever is broken sarun Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 07-08-2020 04:55 AM
Pentax Program A Film Wind Lever stuck? yobonsin_jr Repairs and Warranty Service 2 02-10-2020 03:07 AM
Pentax auto 110 super slr - film advance lever is stuck need advice teamrums Visitors' Center 3 01-09-2020 04:57 PM
Stuck self timer lever Unlucky Pentax Film SLR Discussion 11 10-08-2019 07:00 AM
Pentax 6x7 winding lever stuck -- please help! sleepyhead Pentax Medium Format 3 04-05-2010 01:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top