Veteran Member

645D Which Flash to use for TTL

Can the 645D do TTL ? If so, which Flash can I use ? Thank you

11-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
Can the 645D do TTL ? If so, which Flash can I use ? Thank you
My manual for the Pentax AF540FGZ II which also covers the AF360FGZ II, indicates that both are compatible with the 645D, but I have no info as to whether the 645D can do TTL.
Your camera manual doesn't say anything about that?

Cheers,
Terry
11-11-2020, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes the Pentax flash units that support P-TTL listed here
Attached Images

11-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The go-to flash for 645 TTL was the 500FTZ. The chart above shows an 'x' in the TTL row, so this suggests that the 645D can't perform historical TTL.

11-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #5

IMHO you'd be better to learn to control the flash manually as you'll reap the benefits if / when you go to multi-flash setups and for shots where you may require flash power to balance daylight or just a hint of fill light for example
11-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Historical TTL is a thing of beauty - with my *istDS, I can shoot TTL flash with the appropriate units (AF080C, AF280T in my case) even with a Takumar lens on the camera.

If they could do it then, why can't they do it now? It would be a SERIOUS winner. IIRC P-TTL needs at least an A-series lens on the camera.
11-11-2020, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
IMHO you'd be better to learn to control the flash manually as you'll reap the benefits if / when you go to multi-flash setups and for shots where you may require flash power to balance daylight or just a hint of fill light for example
Completely agree with this statement. TTL was a fantastic innovation for film era cameras, and remains a great tool for some situations. But in the end, today, I think it's manual control that has truly come into its own. I mean, with instant review now, there's little to lose doing things manually, and so much to gain.

Is there some reason P-TTL won't do what you need? The 540 flash is very good, as is the new version.

Then, there's Metz and Cactus flashes as well---forget which models but it's easy to research.
11-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have had 3 AF360FGZ flash units that I used to learn flash, along with a Yongnuo 585EX. They worked well, but I recently sold 3 of the flash units and purchased some Godox V1-P units to use on and off my K-3 II. The Godox units power system (battery endurance) allows for up to approximately 500 full power shots prior to having to recharge again, and the V1-P (Godox V1 for Pentax) can also shoot TTL, do HSS, or control off camera Godox units as a master transmitter. Since I have used the V-1 I have found that it performs very well and is very dependable. There is also a Godox X-Pro-P transmitter (not flash) that can be used to control Godox V-1 type units when those units are off camera and larger units like the Godox AD200 and Godox AD600BM which have more power/light transmission than the V-1 and are not for on camera use.

These are just examples of what I have used, like I said the Pentax flashes operate well, but the power storage that the Godox offers and charge up time are excellent. I suppose the 645D would not have a problem with the Godox V-1 units for on/off camera, but you may want to check the specs with the seller in case you do decide to make a purchase. The 645Z is listed as compatible with the Godox V1-P on the B and H site.

The TTL and HSS are available on all of the Godox for Pentax units that I mentioned, per my use with the K-3 II.

Below is a shortcut to the B and H listing for the Godox V1=P in case you are interested.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1466064-REG/godox_v1_p_v1_round_ad200pro_ttl.html

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-11-2020 at 07:06 PM.
11-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Completely agree with this statement. TTL was a fantastic innovation for film era cameras, and remains a great tool for some situations. But in the end, today, I think it's manual control that has truly come into its own. I mean, with instant review now, there's little to lose doing things manually, and so much to gain.

Is there some reason P-TTL won't do what you need? The 540 flash is very good, as is the new version.

Then, there's Metz and Cactus flashes as well---forget which models but it's easy to research.
While I have a set of Cacti and a 540FGZ, the advantage of TTL with the 500FTZ was that one could connect via 5P cable a bunch of them aimed wherever and TTL would work fine, quenching the lot all at the same time when the integrated light power met the desired exposure. The user, of course, had to decide on the 'wherever' and the aiming directions to get the light balance the way he wanted it.

@pathdoc: The film surface was evidently more consistent at scattering the light reflected off of it to a sensor that could measure the flash dynamically. The "digital" sensor arrays are evidently not consistent, or maybe not sufficient. I have always wondered why the istDS was able to operate TTL per the tables. I have never owned one.