Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any other must have Russian medium format lenses?

Love the Arsat 30 fisheye on the 645Z. Any other lenses stand out as much?

Thanks,
barondla

11-13-2020, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #2

Not strictly "Russian" but the later version (multi-coated) of the Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f/2.8 Sonnar in Pentacon Six mount makes a very decent portrait lens and the Carl Zeiss Jena 120mm f/2.8 Biometar does a decent job too.
11-13-2020, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I've seen a lot of Russian projector lenses being adapted to medium format. But that's a rather deep rabbit hole to dive into.

11-14-2020, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Here you go!

Not my photo, but one I found on another forum whenever rabbit holes are mentioned.

Stan

12-07-2020, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still catching up.

Yes to the CZJ MC-Sonnar 180/2.8. Not so excited about the 120 Biometar.

If you really need a shift lens, yes to the Arsat 55/4.5 PCS. Don’t expect to make gigantic prints for up-close viewing.

Yes to the Pentacon Six bellows. Mount a copy lens in a drilled P6 body cap.

The 80mm CZJ Biometar is a classic 5-element Planar (like the western Planar used by Hasselblad and Rollei in the day), but I’m not sure it’s better than either of the Pentax 75’s. It is a different look.

The 60mm Schneider Curtagon (for the Exakta 66 Mk. III, a Kreuznach lens from the 90’s) is a legendary unicorn. The brand is “Joseph Schneider” but it’s a Kreuznach lens from the time Mannesman owned them, as I recall. If you find one, decide you hate it and must discard it. I’ll provide the trash can. The Schneider 80/2.8 Xenotar is probably better than any other 75/80 in an easily adaptable mount. Also rare. Even more rare is the 55mm Super-Angulon shift lens. I’ve seen and handled the Xenotar and Curtagon, but I’ve never laid eyes on the SA. There was a myth that Joseph Schneider made a 40mm Curtagon, but nobody I know has ever seen one. These are not Russian lenses, but post-unification western lenses, and were priced accordingly.

Rick “adapters installed on the fisheye and the 180 Sonnar by default” Denney