Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2020, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using the 0 GPS 1 on the 645Z?

Was excited to get built in GPS with the K-1. Now I could have a record of where scenics and landscapes were taken. Worked well, then the Z arrived. Now it goes to all the cool landscape locations and I no longer have location info.

Obviously the 0 GPS 1 unit won't do any moving sensor tricks with the 645Z. But does the location GPS functions work as well as the one built in the K-1?

Thanks,
barondla

11-15-2020, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use my O-GPS1 on my D, the lat/long and electronic compass work fine and are recorded in EXIF. I don't think it supports the GPS route tracking/recording from the K-1.

I can't remember if the 'Simple Navigation' provided by the O-GPS1 on the K-5 works (this isn't present in the K-1 in-built GPS).
11-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I use my O-GPS1 on my D, the lat/long and electronic compass work fine and are recorded in EXIF. I don't think it supports the GPS route tracking/recording from the K-1.

I can't remember if the 'Simple Navigation' provided by the O-GPS1 on the K-5 works (this isn't present in the K-1 in-built GPS).
As long as it records where the picture was taken, it will work fine for my needs.

Thanks,
barondla
11-15-2020, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #4

I use it on my Z. Records GPS and compass info perfectly.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Was excited to get built in GPS with the K-1. Now I could have a record of where scenics and landscapes were taken. Worked well, then the Z arrived. Now it goes to all the cool landscape locations and I no longer have location info.

Obviously the 0 GPS 1 unit won't do any moving sensor tricks with the 645Z. But does the location GPS functions work as well as the one built in the K-1?

Thanks,
barondla

11-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote

Thanks for the information. Route tracking nor simple navigation is required.

---------- Post added 11-16-20 at 10:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by justbob Quote
I use it on my Z. Records GPS and compass info perfectly.
Great to know. As long as it records location I'm happy with it. Don't need nav or route recording.

Thanks,
barondla
11-19-2020, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When i'm hiking, especially in a new area to me, I'll put it on to help in case i want to remember a place to return for a visit under different conditions.
It's a good tool.
11-19-2020, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
When i'm hiking, especially in a new area to me, I'll put it on to help in case i want to remember a place to return for a visit under different conditions.
It's a good tool.
That's what I had in mind. Some of these places are fairly unknown and it would be nice to find them again years later.

Thanks,
barondla

11-20-2020, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
That's what I had in mind. Some of these places are fairly unknown and it would be nice to find them again years later.

Thanks,
barondla
great plan.

If I'm planning a sun/moon lineup shot, I use the O-GPS1 to embed the azimuth into the test shot, so I can later use The Photographer's Ephemeris to figure out which day to re-visit. I even go so far as to fill my daily calendar with these lineups, so i'm reminded, such as "July 27th, moonr over bird rock", "Dec 31, last chance for Davenport crack sunset", etc,
11-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would be great if it could be used for Astro tracking
11-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Would be great if it could be used for Astro tracking
The 645Z doesn't have in-body stabilization which is what enables astrotrack in the K1 and other models.