Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #1

6x7: Chain has always been broken ...

After removing my lens, I took the prism off my 6x7 today to clean it, and realized that the TTL chain has probably always been broken, and I never knew it. I don't have a TTL prism, so I'm always metering externally one way or another anyway. Is there some amazing thing I'm missing out on in life by operating a 6x7 this way, or should just forget about it and go back to being happy?

Last edited by alt.kafka; 11-16-2020 at 09:07 AM.
11-16-2020, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alt.kafka Quote
After removing my lens, I took the prism off my 6x7 today to clean it, and realized that the TTL chain has probably always been broken, and I never knew it. I don't have a TTL prism, so I'm always metering externally one way or another anyway. Is there some amazing thing I'm missing out on in life by operating a 6x7 this way, or should just forget about it and go back to being happy?
You have my permission to continue being happy.

Steve
11-16-2020, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
11-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Stuff the camera and just be happy. The world needs more happiness.

OTOH, if you don't have a TTL prism, the lack of a functioning chain is of little consequence, and the skill of separately metering is very worthwhile anyway considering the rudimentary ability of the native TTL prism, if and when you come across this quaint, olde world novelty.

Replacement of the chain should be done professionally if and when you wish for it. Make contact with Eric at pentaxs.com .

11-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've used my Pentax 67 for the last 20 years with a WLF (folding hood). You are not missing out on much unless you do a lot candid type photography of people or other things. On a tripod portrait orientation is a little awkward but doable. And if you are into landscapes, using a prism seems strange to me because a WLF gives you 100% view and a big 'window' to see your composition.

Last edited by tuco; 11-17-2020 at 11:11 AM.
11-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I've used my Pentax 67 for the last 20 years with a WLF (folding hood). You are not missing out on much unless you do a lot candid type photography of people or other things. On a tripod portrait orientation is a little awkward but doable. And if you are into landscapes, using a prism seems strange to me because a WLF gives you 100% view and a big 'window' to see your composition.

I have the chimney finder, but found the dioptric correction is insufficient for me to use it effectively, and I am loathe to put my half-specs on to peer into the thing.

The lack of 100% view is not really of consequence to me, and it certainly can serve to train the observer to the 'unseen extra' that needs to be accounted for in framing — a bit like what happens with mounted slides (I haven't mounted slides since 1981). This is second nature with long experience. I've yet to manually crop off a 6x7 because something I wasn't careful of outside the reduced view in-camera has appeared on the transparency.

Maybe if I require full-frame glasses the chimney finder will be of some use. Right now it is in its velvet-lined box waiting for the resurrection day...