Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do the Pentax 645 D and Z have a built in battery for date?

Some Pentax have hidden batteries to back up date and other info during main battery exchanges. When this battery finally wears out, the date info has to be re-entered. Haven't read about it with the 645s. So if there's no hidden backup battery, how do the D & Z retain the info?

Thanks,

barondla

11-23-2020, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It could also be done with a back-up capacitor.

Date and Time - PentaxForums.com
As manishved pointed out in his post in this thread, his 645Z appears to loose time and date sometimes.
11-23-2020, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #3

Perhaps there is more room inside the bodies for a larger battery with a longer recharge cycle life then those used in K-mount bodies.

Note: The backup battery on my K10D seems to be still gong strong
11-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Perhaps there is more room inside the bodies for a larger battery with a longer recharge cycle life then those used in K-mount bodies.

Note: The backup battery on my K10D seems to be still gong strong
Good point. Now that you mention it my K10D also still works well. Probably doesn't require that much battery power, to save the date, while changing the main battery.

Thanks,
barondla

11-24-2020, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Generally speaking, the SRAM backup batteries used in electronics are not rechargeable Lithium. But, that fell out of favor beginning about 20 years ago. After that, we tend to use Super Caps. High capacity capacitors. They will run a ToD chip for a week at least.

What Pentax uses in the 645D, I don't know for sure. I leave the main battery in place and swap them after I use the camera, or every couple of weeks when I haven't used it. So, that will either not drain the backup battery or keep the Super Cap charged up.

Stan
11-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #6

See this thread:
K-30 internal battery / capacitor replacement for clock - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

The installed battery has been identified as:
MS414GE | Seiko Instruments Inc. Micro Energy Division

Although one of the videos and posters said it can be replaced with a super capacitor - conflicting reports on that.