Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where to store original 645Z focus screen when removed?

Have the modified 645N split image focusing screen in the 645Z. The original screen won't fit in the 645N protection case due to the different locator tabs. For 2 months the original screen has been sitting upright in the case. This means the case door can't be closed. To keep the screen dust free it sits standing up in a zip lock bag. I need a better way to store the original screen. Ideas?

Thanks,
barondla

11-25-2020, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How about "storing it" in a 645D or second 645Z !

But seriously... I'm surprised the 645Z screen doesn't fit in the 645N box with the appropriate left-right/top-bottom flipping of the screen.

Is it possible to modify the box slightly -- maybe dremel out a space for the 645Z screen tabs?

Plan B is to find a smallish rigid box: cassette tape box, CD jewel case, jewelry box, etc. that can keep the screen safe.
11-26-2020, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #3

screen storage

I think I put mine in a clear filter case, wrapped firstly in a small clean plastic bag, and wrote on the top with a sharpie-Standard screen for 645D and put inside the original camera box, wherever that is.
11-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have the modified 645N split image focusing screen in the 645Z. The original screen won't fit in the 645N protection case due to the different locator tabs. For 2 months the original screen has been sitting upright in the case. This means the case door can't be closed. To keep the screen dust free it sits standing up in a zip lock bag. I need a better way to store the original screen. Ideas?

Thanks,
barondla
Why did you swap out the screen again...?

11-26-2020, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How about "storing it" in a 645D or second 645Z !

But seriously... I'm surprised the 645Z screen doesn't fit in the 645N box with the appropriate left-right/top-bottom flipping of the screen.

Is it possible to modify the box slightly -- maybe dremel out a space for the 645Z screen tabs?

Plan B is to find a smallish rigid box: cassette tape box, CD jewel case, jewelry box, etc. that can keep the screen safe.
Flipping the screen won't solve the problem completely. The original Z screen has two tabs, one on the long side and another on the short side. The 645N case only has a spot for a tab on the long side. The D/Z screen is the only focusing screen I've ever seen with 2 tabs.

Might be possible to dremel the case. The extra tab would encroach into the slot that holds a second screen during a swap. A fair amount of work, but could be the best choice.

---------- Post added 11-26-20 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Why did you swap out the screen again...?
The split image aids focusing, especially with manual focus lenses. I have the 67 75 F4.5, 120 soft, and 165 F2.8. Then there's the 645 A 120 macro and the Arsat 30 fisheye.

Thanks,
barondla
11-27-2020, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Thanks,
barondla

I stored mine in a TC, also known as a trash can. :-)
11-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I stored mine in a TC, also known as a trash can. :-)
Ouch, that's brutal . Won't be doing that with mine. Unless I destroy it accidentally before getting it secured.
Thanks,
barondla