Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
So even if Pentax is capable of releasing a new medium format, there's very little professional need that a new medium format can do which the K-1 can't.
In the age of film, the professional photographers who took photos for schools and churches {church would get free photo for 'Church Directory' and photographer would have access to congregation to sell photos} used medium format.

Using digital, they have used "FF".

12-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hard to memorise : do you remember which crop lenses ?

I don't remember clearly. It was zoom lenses. I believe it was initially two zooms with quite large zoom range for MF. Then they were changed to three zooms with shorter zoom ranges. Or the other way around Or something like it....

Anyway, I suspect that Pentax had settled on APS and cropped MF at some point. Then they decided to make an FF camera and that changed a few things....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 12-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.
12-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DFA 90 2.8 would look that much more impressive on FF 645 sensor.
12-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Considering that the A7R4 has like some 60+ mpix with pixel shift (although it is terribly implemented from a workflow perspective and subject to jaggy sharpening artifacts), the access to ultra high IQ quality has already reached a point where most camera manufacturers simply don't care much about resolution. We've been stuck basically at 24 mpix APS-c for a decade now because it's enough for the super majority of print. So even if Pentax is capable of releasing a new medium format, there's very little professional need that a new medium format can do which the K-1 can't.
That “very little professional need” probably represents a profitable line for those in the segment, though, even if it isn’t as profitable as it was a few years ago. This source estimates sales at US$ 14.7 Billion in 2019 (even if they don’t list Pentax among the makers).

12-17-2020, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
(...)
It is worth noting that Pentax removed every cropped 645 lens previously on the roadmap. This happen about the same time as they decided on K-mount FF. It think there is a connection between these facts...
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I don't remember clearly. It was zoom lenses. I believe it was initially two zooms with quite large zoom range for MF. Then they were changed to three zooms with shorter zoom ranges. Or the other way around Or something like it....

Anyway, I suspect that Pentax had settled on APS and cropped MF at some point. Then they decided to make an FF camera and that changed a few things....
There have been three zoom lenses on the Pentax 645 roadmap from 2012 (at least) onwards: Wide Zoom, Standard Zoom and Tele Zoom. In due course the Wide Zoom has become the HD Pentax-DA 645 28-45mm f/4.5 ED AW SR. There hasn't been any other change.

See below: the first roadmap is from early 2012 (the HD Pentax-D FA 645 Macro 90mm f/2.8 ED AW SR hadn't been announced yet and was named Pentax DFA 645 90mm f/2.8), the second roadmap is the current one (even though it dates back to February 2017).

12-17-2020, 05:58 AM - 4 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Hi,

It basically boils down to two choices. The Sony 100 MP 44x33mm crop sensor or the physically larger Sony 150 MP sensor. The 50 MP one used in the 645z has reached the end of its production life as evidenced by the removal from the Sony component catalog.

So, users of the part will have been given a Last Time Buy and when those parts are used up, well that is all folks. I know how this all plays out. I have been on both sides of end of life parts for decades.

Fuji has stated that the 100 MP part requires IBIS. And, I have no reason to doubt that. So, there is one very likely new feature in a Pentax 645 follow on model. But they might well use the 150 MP part as they have lenses to cover that. Or, even offer both. We shall just have to wait and see.

Me, I'd be happy with either. Save me from eventually buying a Fuji 100 MP about a year from now. But, using most of my P645 lenses still via an adapter. And the 67 lenses via two adapters.

In the meantime, my antique 645D is doing fine and making me money.

Stan
12-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #52
Pentaxian

That's fine Stan.
And thanks once again Mistral
Concerning the bottom notes on those roadmaps, i find it quite premonitory to notice the difference btw "may vary in response to market situation" and "might change without notice"...

12-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There have been three zoom lenses on the Pentax 645 roadmap from 2012 (at least) onwards: Wide Zoom, Standard Zoom and Tele Zoom. In due course the Wide Zoom has become the HD Pentax-DA 645 28-45mm f/4.5 ED AW SR. There hasn't been any other change.

See below: the first roadmap is from early 2012 (the HD Pentax-D FA 645 Macro 90mm f/2.8 ED AW SR hadn't been announced yet and was named Pentax DFA 645 90mm f/2.8), the second roadmap is the current one (even though it dates back to February 2017).
As an aside, I note the 2012 lineup has the 120mm macro as an F2.8 lens, while the 2017 lineup has it as an F4 lens. I’ve no idea which is correct (I assume the 2017 one is a correction).
12-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
As an aside, I note the 2012 lineup has the 120mm macro as an F2.8 lens, while the 2017 lineup has it as an F4 lens. I’ve no idea which is correct (I assume the 2017 one is a correction).
It's smc Pentax-FA 645 Macro 120mm f/4.

smc PENTAX-FA645 MACRO 120mmF4 / Macro Lenses / 645-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
12-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

It basically boils down to two choices. The Sony 100 MP 44x33mm crop sensor or the physically larger Sony 150 MP sensor. The 50 MP one used in the 645z has reached the end of its production life as evidenced by the removal from the Sony component catalog.

So, users of the part will have been given a Last Time Buy and when those parts are used up, well that is all folks. I know how this all plays out. I have been on both sides of end of life parts for decades.

Fuji has stated that the 100 MP part requires IBIS. And, I have no reason to doubt that. So, there is one very likely new feature in a Pentax 645 follow on model. But they might well use the 150 MP part as they have lenses to cover that. Or, even offer both. We shall just have to wait and see.

Me, I'd be happy with either. Save me from eventually buying a Fuji 100 MP about a year from now. But, using most of my P645 lenses still via an adapter. And the 67 lenses via two adapters.

In the meantime, my antique 645D is doing fine and making me money.

Stan
In your experience, does the manufacturer tend to lower the price of the new part to entice buyer loyalty? Or is it screw you this is what you can get? Would think Sony might be a little nervous with the limited number of customers (manufacturers) for these mf sensors.

Thanks,
barondla
12-17-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Hi,

Price is based on quantity bought. But, now Sony knows what Pentax bought before, so then they can base a new price on the other part from knowledge. So, in effect, yes, there is usually a deal.

Stan
12-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hard to memorise : do you remember which crop lenses ?

Actually, the cropped 25mm and 28-45mm were big mistakes imho.
Using film and hoping for bigger digital sensor, i always refused to (and would in the future) buy 645 DA lenses.
I understand your point of view, but given the lack of WA FA lenses as of now, the 28-45 zoom, even if DA, was impossible to ignore.
DA is a disadvantage, but it is optically very good, it is stabilized, and WR. It has been useful so far, and actually better to have it than no lens at all.
12-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Thanks, I’d expected that the later lens lineup had a correction for the earlier one.
12-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Imagine Pentax has already decided which way they're going. Either path requires research, development and time. They can't delay too long since Sony has discontinued the Z sensor. Can only buy so much back up stock.

Thanks,
barondla
01-07-2021, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If Ricoh is “studying the market” then I assume the 645Z is still selling reasonably well somewhere, if not everywhere, but I’d be surprised if the Fuji MF system hadn’t had some adverse impact on 645Z sales.

If we rule out a shift to MF mirrorless, or even a different SLR body (though I can’t see any great advantage in that) then the easiest course of action to update the 645Z would have to be adding some technology from the K-3iii (metering, AF, viewfinder prism and mirror for instance). More technically-difficult additions like PS technology might have to wait (even a lighter mirror based on the K-3iii’s might be difficult) but would certainly add to the 645Z’s appeal.
It's selling probably well as it is heavily discounted to the point where it's literally under half the price it was on Launch. Honestly a 645z is cheaper than a Canon R5, not much more expensive than a Z7 and in an SLR format that a lot of photographers love a rather unique and interesting solution to some working pro's and well heeled amateurs.

The easy development for the camera is the new crop MF 100mp sensor that's in the Fuji, the AF module from the K1 and modernise a few more MF lenses. The Fuji system hasn't got a lot more than this - and this would give them a relevant flagship camera. The revised K1 will probably sport the 61mp sensor from the A7r4 or 42mp sensor from A7r3.

---------- Post added 01-07-21 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Imagine Pentax has already decided which way they're going. Either path requires research, development and time. They can't delay too long since Sony has discontinued the Z sensor. Can only buy so much back up stock.

Thanks,
barondla
I think Phase/Hassleblad have some exclusivity rights over the FF medium format one - but not the smaller 44x33 ones - it will be the 100mp 44x33 sensor. No doubt. The 645d, 645z used this size, there is no reason to expect anything otherwise than an evolution of the 645z rather than a big change.