Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #1

used Pentax 645z, no TV or TAV modes, just AV when using FA lens...

Hi folks,
I just picked up a used 645z from B&H, supposedly in excellent condition. I have some FA lenses (I have a 645 N film body) and ordered a DFA lens as well which hasn't arrived yet. I'm enjoying the camera except I've found that the mode dial doesn't allow me to use TV to TAV modes, and claims that I'm in AV mode when I set it to either of them! Manual works fine and AV seems to as well. I'm planning to return the camera and resume looking for a used body, on the assumption that there's actually something wrong with it, minor though it may be (dirty contacts?) since I don't consider missing functions to make an "excellent" condition camera but wanted to see first if there was any way this could be because I'm using an FA lens rather than a DFA... Maybe only the DFA lenses work in all modes? My DFA lens won't get here for a week, so if that's not the issue I'd rather not wait to find out!
Thanks,
Katie

11-27-2020, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it possible that your aperture ring is not set to A?
11-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Is it possible that your aperture ring is not set to A?
What he said
11-27-2020, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Original Poster
whomp whomp...

How embarrassing! Yes, that was the problem. Probably because I shoot my 645N in manual mode almost exclusively, and none of my other system's (Olympus M43) lenses have aperture rings like that! Thank you.

11-27-2020, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Another great reason to hang out at PentaxForums! You're going to loooooove that camera.

And a hearty welcome aboard! We need more female members and diversity, too many old white guys....
11-27-2020, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Another great reason to hang out at PentaxForums! You're going to loooooove that camera.

And a hearty welcome aboard! We need more female members and diversity, too many old white guys....
Aww, thanks for the welcome! I'm very interested to have a larger sensor in my collection of digital bodies... I love Micro 4/3 for casual use and travel (one of my favorite cameras is a Panasonic GM5 that disappears into my purse like nothing, although I prefer my EM1 for wildlife, sports, etc.), so I felt like a larger sensored camera that didn't really overlap much with my existing cameras in terms of use case made sense... Plus I love my 645N and am a big fan of OVFs but don't get to use one outside of shooting film since my smaller system is EVF only. One of the things I want to use the 645Z for is photographing the artwork of my many artist relatives (a grandfather, a sister, my son), so I'll be getting some lighting setup soon for that purpose.

Now that I've fixed my little silly error, I've been having a great time playing around with the 645Z already around the house, taking pictures of my teen practicing guitar. I'm excited to use the camera in a more deliberate manner in the coming years.

Thanks again for the friendly vibes,
Katie
11-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KathleenF Quote
One of the things I want to use the 645Z for is photographing the artwork of my many artist relatives (a grandfather, a sister, my son), so I'll be getting some lighting setup soon for that purpose.
I do that professionally, with the Z, so feel free to reach out for advice when that starts happening.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks again for the friendly vibes,
Katie
you betcha. You'll like it here, so don't be a stranger. Get on over to the medium format forum pronto!

11-28-2020, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I do that professionally, with the Z, so feel free to reach out for advice when that starts happening.

you betcha. You'll like it here, so don't be a stranger. Get on over to the medium format forum pronto!
Thank you, texandrews! I'm sure I'll have questions as I proceed.

I appreciate the friendliness.
11-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KathleenF Quote
Thank you, texandrews! I'm sure I'll have questions as I proceed.

I appreciate the friendliness.
Welcome to the Pentax 645Z and PentaxForums.The 645 is a wonderful camera and the forums are a great place to learn and discuss photography.

When my used Z arrived it was in movie mode. There was also 2 weird settings enabled that rotated the image and view 180°. Took me quite awhile to get it straightened out.

Thanks,
barondla
11-29-2020, 04:54 AM   #10

the 645z is great for me since i use a external monitor (atomos) for live-view...! :-)

i'm not a hawk-eye

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Welcome to the Pentax 645Z and PentaxForums.The 645 is a wonderful camera and the forums are a great place to learn and discuss photography.

When my used Z arrived it was in movie mode. There was also 2 weird settings enabled that rotated the image and view 180°. Took me quite awhile to get it straightened out.

Thanks,
barondla
11-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Foamberg Quote
the 645z is great for me since i use a external monitor (atomos) for live-view...! :-)

i'm not a hawk-eye
Please tell us more---but actually that would be a great new thread in the medium format forum. I shoot tethered in the studio, but out in the sculpture garden or even up in the galleries where I need to move around it can be a PITA. I've often thought about an external monitor setup.
11-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See message #8 in the thread Late to the Party - Pentax 645D for portraits ? - PentaxForums.com by @Thorrulz.

I have used a directly connected HP ZR2440w display in my (ahem) studio.
11-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
See message #8 in the thread Late to the Party - Pentax 645D for portraits ? - PentaxForums.com by @Thorrulz.

I have used a directly connected HP ZR2440w display in my (ahem) studio.
I remember seeing that post. I'd still like to see a thread started on this topic, with a lot more detail...