Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Multiple row panos are not only possible, they are might be preferred. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I use longer lenses – 85mm and 100mm – to a) eliminate distortion, and b) provide greater detail. But the longer lens also minimizes (eliminates?) distortion which makes stitching multiple row panos easier and the results very pleasing.

The biggest problem for you with a multi-row pano might be stitching. Some software does not play well with multiple rows. But there is also the concern for final image size. You need to have enough RAM in your computer so that it doesn't "choke" while putting together a big pano. And you have to have some time on your hands as larger panos take some processing time. Relax and have a cup of coffee.

This pano was done during some testing and dramatic content was not a consideration. But it readily shows how a 100mm lens can give you a pano with incredible detail. The image in this instance is 75º wide (20 images) and about 21º (3 rows) in height. The finished image is 45,255 px x 12468 px which shows at only 10% of its size when full-screen on my 27" iMac.. To demonstrate the detail you can get (this is a K-3II with an old SMC Pentax-M 100mm f/4 lens), look at the little red rectangle in the pano and then the blow-up of the red box to show the detail captured.

A 3 Row Panorama (45,255 px x 12468 px) - Note the Red Box

Red Box from the Pano Above Showing Detail a Longer Lens Pano Allows

That is fantastic detail. Thanks for sharing and showing what is possible.

12-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm going to practice panos before backpacking all my equipment to the location. Thought of a good stand in. Going to use a 3 story house with deck on the 2nd floor. Architecture should show up flaws easier than nature.

Realized I don't have any levels on my normal tripod. Will have to remedy that, but for now I'll use the giant Berlebach. It has 2 levels and is quick to level with the tilting ball center column. Unfortunately with head it weighs about 18lbs and will not be the tripod I hike with.

Thanks,
barondla
12-08-2020, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I'm going to practice panos before backpacking all my equipment to the location. Thought of a good stand in. Going to use a 3 story house with deck on the 2nd floor. Architecture should show up flaws easier than nature.

Realized I don't have any levels on my normal tripod. Will have to remedy that, but for now I'll use the giant Berlebach. It has 2 levels and is quick to level with the tilting ball center column. Unfortunately with head it weighs about 18lbs and will not be the tripod I hike with.

Thanks,
barondla
Grab a cheap hot-shoe mount level (Amazon $10). Just put it on the quick-release clamp of your ballhead to get the base leveled. Then mount it on the camera to make sure everything is true.
12-08-2020, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shot practice panos this afternoon. Leveling ball made things easy. Adjusted 3 way pan head and Arca clamp to get near the estimated nodal point as possible. Ended up with camera lens mount over horizontal rotation point.

The pan head has degree markings so I used approx. 18 degrees each shot. The 645Z was vertical and tilted up to get more house and less foreground. PSE 11 had no problem stitching the 4 shots together. First shot is auto stitch and it looks strange. Don't understand why right side of photo is taller than left and all vertical lines look like they are leaning over? I did break one rule and shot this sequence from right to left.

I tried a couple of different stitching methods in PSE and #2 is cylindrical. It looks much better, though a little fisheye like. Distortion correction could probably fix this. Doubt it would be noticed in a nature shot.

Not a bad first attempt.

Thanks,
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
12-08-2020, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... First shot is auto stitch and it looks strange. Don't understand why right side of photo is taller than left and all vertical lines look like they are leaning over?
It is the carpenter's fault.
12-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The pan head has degree markings so I used approx. 18 degrees each shot. The 645Z was vertical and tilted up to get more house and less foreground. PSE 11 had no problem stitching the 4 shots together. First shot is auto stitch and it looks strange. Don't understand why right side of photo is taller than left and all vertical lines look like they are leaning over? I did break one rule and shot this sequence from right to left.
Are both stitched images from the same original component images, or different ones?
12-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Are both stitched images from the same original component images, or different ones?
Both finished panos are made from the same 4 shots. The only difference is how the editing programprogram processed them. I understand distortion, but not why one side is totally different than the other. Perhaps a newer, better pano program would do better.

Thanks,
barondla