Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
^ ^ This ^^
C1 has tended to produce a different rendering of raw image data than some others. That tendency has been IME a bias towards warmer tones (particularly skin tones) preferred by some.

There is no reason to believe that with a small amount of work in other products e.g. PS or LR using presets or producing a camera profile with X-Rite or Adobe Profile Maker a similar look could not be achieved.

I would not recommend this for many of the reasons Ed touched on in his post but it is possible to force C1 to read 645 DNG's by editing the EXIF details to remove/change Pentax 645 tag information and saving prior to using C1. Obviously this will not help with tethering as I assume the camera will be ignored
If I‘d own a 645Z and need tethering I‘d buy Pentax Image Transmitter and run it parallel with C1Pro to use it in conjuction with C1Pro Sessions. That‘s the way I „connect“ my 35mm scanner / Vuescan combo with Cature One Pro - no import needed if you connect by os folder. The images are instantly available in the session and I can optimize them while the next scan runs.

12-03-2020, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
If I‘d own a 645Z and need tethering I‘d buy Pentax Image Transmitter and run it parallel with C1Pro to use it in conjuction with C1Pro Sessions. That‘s the way I „connect“ my 35mm scanner / Vuescan combo with Cature One Pro - no import needed if you connect by os folder. The images are instantly available in the session and I can optimize them while the next scan runs.
I may be missing something here but I cannot see how that would help?

The problem is that the C1 software will not allow 645z images to display or edit without the metadata being first manipulated to look like another camera
12-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I may be missing something here but I cannot see how that would help?

The problem is that the C1 software will not allow 645z images to display or edit without the metadata being first manipulated to look like another camera
Refers to your last sentence about tethering. Of course you have to trick C1Pro to read the DNG files. I‘d do this using an exiftool command within a bash script on my Mac, an easy and fast batch job.

Of course if you think you need lens pofiles like Ed it also won‘t help. With K-1, KP and K-5 I use C1Pro as it is and I‘d also do it with a 645Z. But everybody should do according to his/her satisfaction.
12-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Hello there,

I don't think it's just lens profiles. C1 also has profiles dedicated to the camera, its sensor, noise profiles, dedicated colour profiles, etc. - tricking it to read the DNG files won't give you any of this, in addition to lens profiles. It will be reading the file as something different, so you'd lose all of those benefits which, IMO, is a large part of why C1 delivers such pleasing results in the first place.

I'd welcome the C1 option if it ever became available with full support, but for all of these reasons, unless it does, I'm happily use other options :-)

Ed

12-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As you say Ed, no dedicated pofile for the 645Z. But countless other options that you can choose from and save that as your standard profile. In addition based on the color editor you can create your own.

Who knows - if you choose to fake as a Fujifilm 645 that seems to use the same or very similar sensor to the 645Z‘s you maybe even be able to use the Fujifilm‘s Film simulations?

Would be interesting to see if this would work and how iit looks concerning noise ...

... such a huge playground for someone who likes such.
12-06-2020, 01:03 AM   #21

Capture Fix offers an easy conversion that C1 will import. Without the profiles there is more work to be done in C1 but it doesn't take long to find your own set-up. Skin tones being the most difficult. The available tools on C1 make it a joy to use. Of course some issues of longterm stability.
12-06-2020, 02:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Personally, having used C1 for Sony, I can't get on with C1 at all. Also it doesn't have the cataloguing that LR has.
12-06-2020, 04:23 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Personally, having used C1 for Sony, I can't get on with C1 at all. Also it doesn't have the cataloguing that LR has.
I'd like to hear more from you about that. I find the cataloguing in LR both a blessing and a curse simultaneously, so I'd like to know more about why you weren't enamored of C1 development wise.

12-06-2020, 05:27 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I don't know LR cataloguing. Prior to C1Pro I used Apple Aperture 3. I'd like to know which concrete features do you miss in the current version C1Pro?!
12-09-2020, 02:47 AM   #25

Capture Fix works pretty OK in C1 but getting Lens Profiles and Camera Calibration to work will be impossible. Sadly there will never be native support for 645z in C1. C1 21 will most probably also not change this.
12-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hart-Worx Quote
Capture Fix works pretty OK in C1 but getting Lens Profiles and Camera Calibration to work will be impossible. Sadly there will never be native support for 645z in C1. C1 21 will most probably also not change this.
That really sucks :-(, I was really hoping that they could change that. I wrote them a request on the day I wrote this post so they would consider adding our Pentax 645s to C1. Unfortunately I am starting to wonder if they ever will.

Although I prefer C1 over Lightroom for Tethering and things here and there, I think it's probably time for me to get over it and enjoy the software that actually cares about other brands.
12-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by RodT Quote
That really sucks :-(, I was really hoping that they could change that. I wrote them a request on the day I wrote this post so they would consider adding our Pentax 645s to C1. Unfortunately I am starting to wonder if they ever will.

Although I prefer C1 over Lightroom for Tethering and things here and there, I think it's probably time for me to get over it and enjoy the software that actually cares about other brands.
Or you just tether with the ImageTransmitter software and C1 reading that folder after the conversion with the "Hack". Developing Pentax 645z DNGs is still nice with C1. It is very very sad but luckily Lightroom got better. It's still slow but maybe it solves some issues.