Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #1

New 645 owner

Hello.

I purchased a mint condition Pentax 645 (never had one). Loaded the battery into grip and tested it. Works ok. The question is... I understand that is a battery inserted down the body (to keep memory settings?). How long time it work? The serial number of camera body is a low one and, I think, the battery never been changed. Need a service to change it or could be done at home (if I find to buy one)? Thank you.

12-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which 645? The original? N? N II

It's an original 645, the lithium button battery is on the bottom and is the one with two little holes near the tripod mount. It needs to be unscrewed. I recall doing it myself some time back but have forgotten how to do it. There may have been a tool for that or just DIY it.So yes, you should be able to do it at home.

Hive mind, any additional comments?
12-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lonerider41life Quote
Hello.

I purchased a mint condition Pentax 645 (never had one). Loaded the battery into grip and tested it. Works ok. The question is... I understand that is a battery inserted down the body (to keep memory settings?). How long time it work? The serial number of camera body is a low one and, I think, the battery never been changed. Need a service to change it or could be done at home (if I find to buy one)? Thank you.
Welcome to the 645 club. I bought mine new 35 years ago, and incredibly have never replaced the internal button cell battery. I can't explain why or how it has lasted "forever", but I believe the key is keeping fresh AA batteries in the grip and that will take the electrical draw instead of the internal cell.

If the camera is working fine, I would leave well enough alone. If and when the camera needs servicing, then you can have the internal cell replaced at that time. You can DIY, but need a special tool and possibly a lubricant to free up the cover.
12-25-2020, 02:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the world of the 645.

Yes, there is a battery inside. I don't know how long it runs for but mine is still fine in my original 645 which was made in the 80s. I wouldn't worry about it unless there are signs that it's failing.

12-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Which 645? The original? N? N II

It's an original 645, the lithium button battery is on the bottom and is the one with two little holes near the tripod mount. It needs to be unscrewed. I recall doing it myself some time back but have forgotten how to do it. There may have been a tool for that or just DIY it.So yes, you should be able to do it at home.

Hive mind, any additional comments?
It's original Pentax 645, sn: 1004541.
I don't know how Pentax categorized serial numbers, but being quite small, I guess it's a boby from the earlier series.

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 07:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Welcome to the 645 club. I bought mine new 35 years ago, and incredibly have never replaced the internal button cell battery. I can't explain why or how it has lasted "forever", but I believe the key is keeping fresh AA batteries in the grip and that will take the electrical draw instead of the internal cell.

If the camera is working fine, I would leave well enough alone. If and when the camera needs servicing, then you can have the internal cell replaced at that time. You can DIY, but need a special tool and possibly a lubricant to free up the cover.
Thank you. Mechanically work fine. I shoot a b/w film roll today (Auto P mode), will develop in the evening to see what I did.
12-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe a stupid question - but sometimes I get interested... why 645? Some specific purpose for medium format?
12-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Maybe a stupid question - but sometimes I get interested... why 645? Some specific purpose for medium format?
Although the Pentax 645 is not really 6cm x 4.5 cm (60mm x 45mm) but 56mm x 41.5mm, it is considered an 'ideal' format or aspect ratio because it is proportionate to common print sizes such as 8x10", 11x14", 16x20", etc.

35mm film (or FF digital) is 24x36mm which is proportionate for an 8x12" print, and thus usually required cropping and not full use of the negative.
6x6 of course is fine for square enlargements and is convenient to crop either horizontal or vertical, but then you're going to crop a lot. And 6x7 is more square and would require cropping.
12-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
... why 645? Some specific purpose for medium format?
Not for me, but I stayed in the Ricoh - Pentax family with all the cameras I have or have had so far, including the pk mount. The only medium format film camera I have had (and still have) being a Pentacon SIX TL with CZJ Biometar 1:2.8 80mm lens. I took this device because I could afford it for my hobby. I would have liked a Pentax 645N or a Pentax 67, but they are more expensive than I can afford (at least now).

12-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Although the Pentax 645 is not really 6cm x 4.5 cm (60mm x 45mm) but 56mm x 41.5mm, it is considered an 'ideal' format or aspect ratio because it is proportionate to common print sizes such as 8x10", 11x14", 16x20", etc.

35mm film (or FF digital) is 24x36mm which is proportionate for an 8x12" print, and thus usually required cropping and not full use of the negative.
6x6 of course is fine for square enlargements and is convenient to crop either horizontal or vertical, but then you're going to crop a lot. And 6x7 is more square and would require cropping.
Do you print and sell? Or just print and hand on the wall? - Proof please

---------- Post added 2020-12-26 at 19:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lonerider41life Quote
Not for me, but I stayed in the Ricoh - Pentax family with all the cameras I have or have had so far, including the pk mount. The only medium format film camera I have had (and still have) being a Pentacon SIX TL with CZJ Biometar 1:2.8 80mm lens. I took this device because I could afford it for my hobby. I would have liked a Pentax 645N or a Pentax 67, but they are more expensive than I can afford (at least now).
Same as above. and proof please
12-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you print and sell? Or just print and hand on the wall? - Proof please [COLOR="Silver"]
When I purchased my Pentax 645 and three lenses new back in 1986, I was a struggling artist and vowed that my camera would pay for itself. Some of my professional work came as a 'gun for hire' meaning I was paid to shoot but all the images belonged to film studio, network, or advertising agency.

The pro work with the 645 was almost always what was then called Super Slides because the client wanted slides. Most of that was done on Kodachrome 64. My personal work was mostly black and white and then my most common enlargement size was 16x20" and then after matting, mounting, and frame, at least 20x24".

Since 1992, I've found a new passion as an art educator, and have spent most of my time teaching photography rather than selling it or myself.

What do you mean "proof please"? Some of the images sold are in my PF gallery.
12-27-2020, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When I purchased my Pentax 645 and three lenses new back in 1986, I was a struggling artist and vowed that my camera would pay for itself. Some of my professional work came as a 'gun for hire' meaning I was paid to shoot but all the images belonged to film studio, network, or advertising agency.

The pro work with the 645 was almost always what was then called Super Slides because the client wanted slides. Most of that was done on Kodachrome 64. My personal work was mostly black and white and then my most common enlargement size was 16x20" and then after matting, mounting, and frame, at least 20x24".

Since 1992, I've found a new passion as an art educator, and have spent most of my time teaching photography rather than selling it or myself.

What do you mean "proof please"? Some of the images sold are in my PF gallery.
By proof - I was thinkig that if someone says that is selling pictures - will show what pictures were sold.....
12-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By proof - I was thinkig that if someone says that is selling pictures - will show what pictures were sold.....
Most of the photography that I've earned money with was as an independent contractor, meaning, what I shoot belongs to the client and I am only being paid for producing work for them. In some cases they will give credit to me, and in most, to the owner of the work. So for example, when I was hired by CBS to shoot a "Movie of the Week", when one of my photos appeared on the front page of USA Today, my name wasn't mentioned but instead it said, "Photo courtesy of CBS".

And I've never had an online gallery selling my work. I used to print and frame my photos in art galleries (or sometimes cafes and restaurants) and they would sell to local patrons.

FWIW: I had not said that I was selling pictures before you asked to show proof. I guess the important point is that I do not sell my work online, but the B&W photos in my albums in this forum under my profile were some examples that have sold.
12-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Most of the photography that I've earned money with was as an independent contractor, meaning, what I shoot belongs to the client and I am only being paid for producing work for them. In some cases they will give credit to me, and in most, to the owner of the work. So for example, when I was hired by CBS to shoot a "Movie of the Week", when one of my photos appeared on the front page of USA Today, my name wasn't mentioned but instead it said, "Photo courtesy of CBS".

And I've never had an online gallery selling my work. I used to print and frame my photos in art galleries (or sometimes cafes and restaurants) and they would sell to local patrons.

FWIW: I had not said that I was selling pictures before you asked to show proof. I guess the important point is that I do not sell my work online, but the B&W photos in my albums in this forum under my profile were some examples that have sold.

This is just kind of my personal interest

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk