Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
You missed my point completely. Here is the Quick control button (Info button on Pentax) which can be customized with most frequent setting.
https://youtu.be/VYs5-Im-4Q8

Then there is My menu, which let me customize my menu as I like, in the order I want. This way, each time I buy a new model to replace or to complement the one that I own, I don't have to think about the complexity of the menus because I can make the menu identical to all cameras. That's why I said to the other forum member that I find it hard to believe that someone had trouble finding stuff on 4 different Nikon cameras because Nikon also has My menu in their cameras. https://youtu.be/c53JtPnQTTM

Once you customize these 2 buttons (Quick menu and My menu), you have the fastest way to access stuff that you need or want by just pressing a button. It can be the formating memory cards among other things as I added there or it can be absolutely anything you want from the General menu, from mirror lockup, Custom white balance, video recording option, record images to one or 2 cards and so on.

This way you don't have to memorize the entire menu folders and subfolders and dig for something in the entire menu. It's a big advantage for example because I can change with a press of a button the tracking performance based on the speed of my subject without going to the general menu, to click on the Af menu, scroll until I find the tracking settings and then adjust the tracking. Or, if I want to change the 1st image priority to Focus priority instead of Release priority, I don't need to go to Af menu because I have it already added to My menu.

That's why I said that, having this menu, it doesn't matter how complex or how intuitive a menu can be because I can make it better by making it exactly as I want/need. As much difficult and counterintuitive I found Sony menus during time (mostly becauae how they named their settings), since they added My menu in their latest cameras, I can make the menu exactly how I want it to be.

---------- Post added 12-30-20 at 04:16 PM ----------

You cand put the most important 15-20 features from the menu in My menu and then Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji (XT-4, etc.) or Panasonic (S1, S1R) cameras can have the same menu based on what you shoot and use frequently. It will not be the entire menu exactly the same, but you can customize it so that you won't have any trouble finding what you need during shootings. It's close enough to the perfect solution when shooting multiple systems at once.
That's pretty neat and goes a ways towards improving camera menus and controls. Of course one still has to dig thru the menu at least once to set this up. So if the pet feature can't be found or figured out, it won't end up on the custom menu.

Not sure my friend has set up My Menu on the Nikons. He loves to talk tech and we often compare features and techniques on photo trips. He often mentions user settings he has set.1. Action. 2. Landscape. 3. Portraits, etc. He has never mentioned My Menu. Not like him to miss mentioning tech like this. When we are allowed to shoot together again, I will ask.

To be fair, he can be a little competitive, so I often try to use a feature he hasn't seen before. He loves waterfalls, so I used multiple exposures for a different water appearance. Another time TAV for wildlife. Once it was the intervalometer. Can't set User settings and My Menu for things one doesn't know about yet.

Geez, I hope the next K-1 and 645 don't have touch screens. Hate them on cameras.

Thanks,

barondla

12-30-2020, 11:20 AM - 3 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Geez, I hope the next K-1 and 645 don't have touch screens. Hate them on cameras.
There's no reason to hate them, as using the touch is entirely optional. You're probably thinking of touch-based camera interfaces, but this is not the case here.
Most people would at least use it for image review (it works so smoothly on my GR III...), touch AF in Live View/Movie, and perhaps the occasional use of the virtual keyboard e.g. when you enter the copyright info.
12-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's no reason to hate them, as using the touch is entirely optional. You're probably thinking of touch-based camera interfaces, but this is not the case here.
Most people would at least use it for image review (it works so smoothly on my GR III...), touch AF in Live View/Movie, and perhaps the occasional use of the virtual keyboard e.g. when you enter the copyright info.
Again, touch screens are just "progress", and coming to more and more of our devices whether we like it or not. Fujifilm's GFX cameras already have them... Hasselblad's X1DII, also. As @Kunzite says, you don't have to use the screen that way, but it offers additional control not directly available (or not so easily administered) with the physical buttons and wheels. I'd be disappointed if the user interface was touch-screen only, but I doubt that will happen. We Pentaxians like our buttons, wheels and knobs, and recent DSLR models - KP, K-1, K-1II - suggest we're likely to see even more of those, not less...
12-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #64
Pentaxian

That's pretty neat and goes a ways towards improving camera menus and controls. Of course one still has to dig thru the menu at least once to set this up. So if the pet feature can't be found or figured out, it won't end up on the custom menu.

Not sure my friend has set up My Menu on the Nikons. He loves to talk tech and we often compare features and techniques on photo trips. He often mentions user settings he has set.1. Action. 2. Landscape. 3. Portraits, etc. He has never mentioned My Menu. Not like him to miss mentioning tech like this. When we are allowed to shoot together again, I will ask.

To be fair, he can be a little competitive, so I often try to use a feature he hasn't seen before. He loves waterfalls, so I used multiple exposures for a different water appearance. Another time TAV for wildlife. Once it was the intervalometer. Can't set User settings and My Menu for things one doesn't know about yet.

Thanks,

barondla
The most important features I need are put on different buttons so that I can shoot without the need to take my camera away from my eye. I have my camera configured as follows:

1. Front wheel - shutter speed
2. Rear wheel - aperture
3. Mf button next to shutter speed - ISO (it is pretty much untouched because I shoot 99% of the times in Manual Mode with Auto ISO or TAv as it is called in Pentax cameras)
4. Control ring from lenses - exposure compensation
5. Af On placed on the back of the camera - it changes from Af-S to Af-C (I press once and it goes from AF-S to AF-C and in my viewfinder it tells me which mode I'm in; I press it again and it comes back from Af-C to Af-S)
6. Star button on the back of the camera - activates or disables the Eye af
7. Zoom button on the back of the camera - is for zooming images in viewfinder when I review them
8. Top right of the LCD - it's set for moving the af point instead of the joystick
9. The touch bar (I own a Canon EOS R) - is set to switch from single point Af to 5 Af points, 9 af points, zone af, etc.)

The other 5-10% of the features I need are spreaded all over the menu (some are in the Settings tab, some in the Af tab, etc.) and instead of memorize where those settings are, I added them to My Menu. On the second tab of My Menu I added another 5 settings which at some point I may use, just to be there.

For me, My menu is like the option we have on our smartphone when we put our most used app icons on the home screen and then we move to the second screen and customize it with other app icons less important. This is similar to what My Menu does. I can let the phone put the app icons as it pleases because I will become familiar with them once I start to use them. But, as long as I have the option to put those icons where and how I want, I do it, as oposite to Kunzite who likes to search the entire Menu for the settings.

The good thing these days is that you don't need a manual when you buy a new camera and you want to customize it because as soon as it is launched, Youtubers start to add videos in which they explain the menus.

If your friend has a D850 as you mentioned, he has the multiple exposures setting on his camera and also the TAV mode for wildlife (on Canon, Sony and Nikon it's called Manual mode with Auto ISO enabled, which allows exposure compensation also). It also has intervalometer and also focus stalking. If he doesn't know all this, then he is far away from being a tech guy. I don't shoot Nikon, but I used more than a few times a D850 and I used the above settings.

12-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
as oposite to Kunzite who likes to search the entire Menu for the settings.
Except it doesn't work like that, not with Pentax.

The interface we should be discussing is a step-up from the one I'm familiar with - from the K-1's. But even the old interface is so well thought out that it doesn't need "fixing" by the way of a My Menu.
Having direct access to aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, AF points selection modes, etc. with the camera to your eye? I'm not even seeing this as something amazing; I'm taking it for granted.

I wonder if the new interface won't make even the User Modes less important, or more. On one side, there's the Smart Function interface where I can control e.g. various AF settings directly. On the other, the AF appears to offer more options...
12-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Except it doesn't work like that, not with Pentax.

The interface we should be discussing is a step-up from the one I'm familiar with - from the K-1's. But even the old interface is so well thought out that it doesn't need "fixing" by the way of a My Menu.
Except Sony who listened their customers and changed their menu system, I haven't found a camera menu unintuitive or cumbersome. You choose to see My menu as some sort of fix for a bad menu. I see it as a clever solution to customize the menu for each individual taste. Each to his own...

Having direct access to aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, AF points selection modes, etc. with the camera to your eye? I'm not even seeing this as something amazing; I'm taking it for granted.
That's why I said that except the things I really need and have on my camera without the need to take the camera from the eye, I only need 5-10% of the features available in the menu and even with the most intuitive menu available on any camera, I rather have those 5-10% features grouped and sorted as I need them. If Ricoh sorted the menu for you better than you can sort it by yourself, good for you. I like to custom my menu the way it fits me and in the same way I custom the buttons for eye af, aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc.

I wonder if the new interface won't make even the User Modes less important, or more. On one side, there's the Smart Function interface where I can control e.g. various AF settings directly. On the other, the AF appears to offer more options...
I don't know what to answer here because I don't use at all the user modes.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-30-2020 at 03:51 PM.