Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh's new menu worries me.

One of the 1st K3 III testers said its new menu system is closer to a GR 3 than Pentax DSLR, and that Pentaxians would need patience to learn it. I don't like the sound of this. I have no need for a K3 III, but fear this new menu will spread out to future camera's like the 645Z2. I shoot many models of Pentax from *isn't DL forward and have always appreciated how the well thought out basic menu has remained the same. This allows seamlessly moving from camera to camera. I hope this menu doesn't move to the next 645 camera.

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 12-26-2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
12-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
One of the 1st K3 III testers said its new menu system is closer to a GR 3 than Pentax DSLR, and that Pentax make would need patience to learn it. I don't like the sound of this. I have no need for a K3 III, but fear this new menu spread out to future camera's like the 645Z2. I shoot many models of Pentax from *isn't DL forward and have always appreciated how the well thought out basic menu has remained the same. This allows seamlessly moving from camera to camera. I hope this menu doesn't move to the next 645 camera.

Thanks,
barondla
My recall is that the KS-2 uses a different menu from the cameras before and after it. I remember being lost when trying one once but I’m sure it will be no big deal to learn it.

*the KS-1 may share this menu. I don’t know.
12-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't fret over it. In addition to Pentax, I shoot a Sony A99-based Hasselblad HV and Sony A7 MkII, both with menu systems developed prior to a long-overdue redesign. I hated Sony menus to begin with, but within a few weeks of occasional shooting, I'd got used to them. I prefer the Pentax menus in my K-3, but I don't even think about it any more. I can switch between both systems at will, and know where almost every function and setting can be found. Whether-or-not you like the new K-3III menus at first, I guarantee you'd easily adapt in a matter of days or weeks...
12-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume that with the limited resource Ricoh/Pentax have and the shrinking size of the overall camera market that the design team can only focus on a limited number of projects (or one at a time). If the change are good and well thought out I will not have a problem with it assuming that future cameras use the same menu system.

12-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would be happier with a GR III menu than the one in my KP. Yeah, that's obviously since I've had a couple years to learn the GR while I've had the KP for a much shorter time, but I just can't seem to "decode" the KP menu, it has never started to make sense to me. The GR III menu just flows. I think a lot of the difference is that JPEG settings, RAW conversion and the like are implemented into the menus in the GR as something basic to the DNA of the camera, while on the KP they feel like an afterthought. It makes sense if the camera will be used mainly for RAW shooting to be edited on a computer, but with the excellent JPEG quality of the KP, it could do with a more fluid JPEG customization setup.
12-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I just can't seem to "decode" the KP menu, it has never started to make sense to me. The GR III menu just flows.
I guess it's just what you are accustomed to. My transition from the K-5IIs to the KP was painless, with a lot of joy over all the new features. I found jpeg customization to be super easy. Just choose a custom image mode (Bright, Natural, Portrait, etc.), press 'OK', then 'Info'. This brings up a screen where you can adjust individual jpeg parameters.

By the way, I've been using Portrait for the first time over the last few days for holiday snaps. I've been really pleased with the skin tones it produces, admittedly all Caucasian folks.
12-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rewatched Albert's video and must say that the new menue system doesn't give me any headaches at all.

It seems to retain the basic structure of Rec. Mode, Playback, Set-up, and Custom Setting Menue that I'm familiar with from my K-3, so even if they should have reorganized some of the actual Items, the transition to the new menues should be seemless enough. To me at least, the new design looks both tasteful and easy on the eye, and employing a common or more similiar design for the two brands will make life easier for users of both Pentax and Ricoh cameras.

What is not to like?

12-26-2020, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Rewatched Albert's video and must say that the new menue system doesn't give me any headaches at all.

It seems to retain the basic structure of Rec. Mode, Playback, Set-up, and Custom Setting Menue that I'm familiar with from my K-3, so even if they should have reorganized some of the actual Items, the transition to the new menues should be seemless enough. To me at least, the new design looks both tasteful and easy on the eye, and employing a common or more similiar design for the two brands will make life easier for users of both Pentax and Ricoh cameras.

What is not to like?
I use Pentax cameras, not Ricoh cameras? That should count for something. I'm not sure you could sell me Ricoh under any circumstances.
12-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think the implementation of the touch menu would require rearranging and reorganizing of the menu. Changes are frightening but I think Ricoh/Pentax know what they're doing and I trust them! It might take a little time to get used to it, but I think it will be worth it.
What really worries me is the times it will be used alongside the other Pentax cameras, that might through off some users.
12-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the menus look basically the same, but the header isn't at the top, it's on the left side. hopefully the shortcuts to drive mode/wb/etc are the same. i'm still not used to the sd cards being on the left of the 645z!
12-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It’s not a great issue to worry about, I think. In a matter of days it’s just the menu. On the other hand, the partially limited touch screen is more of a story. Is it just a scrolling help or something else (shoot, af point selection etc)?
12-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure you could sell me Ricoh under any circumstances.

Not even something as highly regarded as the GRIII? Wouldn't mind having one as a carry-me-anywhere option. Otherwise, suit yourself.
12-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Not even something as highly regarded as the GRIII? Wouldn't mind having one as a carry-me-anywhere option. Otherwise, suit yourself.
I understand Norm's point. A point & shoot menu doesn't belong on an advanced amateur or professional camera.

Thanks,
barondla
12-26-2020, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigh....menus. AFAIC, they all suk, although some more than others. I use my 645Z and K1mkII together...but they don't have the same menus precisely. It's an irritant.

In my perfect world, users could reconfigure menus the way they wanted them, such that the things used most often were on a convenience first page, and then the next things on the second, & etc. I want card format as the first item on the first page, for instance....but that's just me.
12-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
One of the 1st K3 III testers said its new menu system is closer to a GR 3 than Pentax DSLR, and that Pentax make would need patience to learn it. I don't like the sound of this. I have no need for a K3 III, but fear this new menu spread out to future camera's like the 645Z2. I shoot many models of Pentax from *isn't DL forward and have always appreciated how the well thought out basic menu has remained the same. This allows seamlessly moving from camera to camera. I hope this menu doesn't move to the next 645 camera.

Thanks,
barondla
I partially agree with you.
Being used to the K7,K5 and the K3, with their menu system so user friendly, it will be a bit of confusion at first.

On the other hand, with all of he new features and improvements with the K3 III, coping with a slightly different system would not be a great deal after all. It'll be worth it !