Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2020, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bright point exposure

Sometimes when I shoot on a tripod with live view I look at the histogram to set the exposure so that the brightest part of the picture does not clip out in the bright side.

That only works in live view with the histogram. Would actually be nice if the auto exposure can be set to do the same, then instead of giving an average good exposure result, it would expose for the brights and let the rest be where they are.

Anybody else would use such a feature?

01-01-2021, 06:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn’t there a highlight protection option in the menu? What body do you have?
01-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Isn’t there a highlight protection option in the menu? What body do you have?
645z. And yes it does have highlight protection. The objective is to push the exposure to just before the highlights will clip. Instead of an average value. Manually it is referred to as expose for the highlights, or something similar.

But perhaps the setting you refer to may achieve the same result, I'll look into it.
01-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember the histogram you see is getting information from the jpeg, which will not have the total tonal range of the actual raw file.

01-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Sometimes when I shoot on a tripod with live view I look at the histogram to set the exposure so that the brightest part of the picture does not clip out in the bright side.

That only works in live view with the histogram. Would actually be nice if the auto exposure can be set to do the same, then instead of giving an average good exposure result, it would expose for the brights and let the rest be where they are.

Anybody else would use such a feature?
For bright snow I usually use meter the snow and add two full stops of exposure. That sounds close to what the quote says to me. I suppose you could meter a piece of white copy paper and do the same trick -- adjusted as necessary.
01-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just read an article that said the Ricoh GR3 has highlight exposure option. B&H specifications mentions the same. Would be good to hear feedback from users.