Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2021, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #1

I found a very nice accessory that easily lets me use my Z/D as a mirror-less live view camera. This gives me the joy of composing off a ground glass, and, as a hooded waist or hooded eye level viewer with or without it's glass magnifier like the old Rollie/Hasselblad. I can change over to the optical viewer in just 2sec, if I want too. I also get to use Peek focus and custom data within the screen view.

I tested the focus accuracy between the optical, focus peek and glass magnifier and all are within the same
focus plane, as it should be.

I also find it very nice using this accessory on and off the tripod. Hand held worked very well with it's, "greatly" brighter,
ground glass view in very dark situations. I find it a pleasure to use and rate construction and usability at 4.5 of 5 stars.

Since this Pentax also has a great optical viewer, with focus alert, I find the Pentax645z/d to be an even better value then other similar systems. What an underrated camera!

Here is the link (below), but, i did two modifications that i believe you have to do. Otherwise this thing just does not work properly.

Thanks
FrankJborges.com

GGS LCD Ocular Folding Viewfinder Kit Black - PENTAX | GGS | Ocular Folding Viewfinder - Black | Just Ltd

Last edited by Adam; 12-27-2023 at 04:35 PM.
01-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What are the two modifications?

I guess it can only be used at eye level on a camera without a flippy screen.
01-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barringtonpro Quote
Here is the link (below), but, i did two modifications that i believe you have to do. Otherwise this thing just does not work properly.
Don't keep us in suspense! What were they?
01-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can certainly see value in overcoming sunlight dazzle on the LCD, where I otherwise might need to hunt down my Mathew Brady signature black cloth.

01-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
I can certainly see value in overcoming sunlight dazzle on the LCD, where I otherwise might need to hunt down my Mathew Brady signature black cloth.
That's a rodger on that, it's great in bright sunlight

Frank

---------- Post added 01-02-21 at 05:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What are the two modifications?

I guess it can only be used at eye level on a camera without a flippy screen.
Yes, but I'm not actually sure how it covers, works, on the D model without a flippy screen. I have a D,also, so I will check

Frank

---------- Post added 01-02-21 at 05:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Don't keep us in suspense! What were they?
Ok,but I need to do a write-up, with jpegs. There's no additional cost, or work really, just that the 2 easy mods are necessary. maybe tomorrow.

Frank

Last edited by Adam; 12-27-2023 at 04:36 PM.
01-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Neat job. Won't work on a D. The CCD can't do live view. CCDs need to read out in the dark so the shutter is closed.

Stan
01-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

Neat job. Won't work on a D. The CCD can't do live view. CCDs need to read out in the dark so the shutter is closed.

Stan
Correct ,your right but it may be good for outdoor shading, for image review. Have to check the measurements. I do like using it on the Z.

Frank

Last edited by Adam; 12-27-2023 at 04:36 PM.
01-03-2021, 03:55 AM   #8
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
great product! Will it fit with the K-1 also?
01-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
great product! Will it fit with the K-1 also?
For questions on compatibility I would call or write them. They have different models.
Frank

---------- Post added 01-03-21 at 10:21 AM ----------

I did find it necessary to first cut 4 thin slices of black tape, gorilla brand works best,and tape the unit in place.
Then I had to use a rubber band that loops around the ocular eye piece and then around the, new finders "boss", on it's left side. You can set the proper elastic tension by cutting and tying the Rubber band to were it counters the weight of the finder and keeps it where you place it. It all works very well. If you don't do this it will be easy to knock off and the viewfinder will just sag downward. I find it's usage intuitive and non-invasive, really a pleasures to use!
Frank
01-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barringtonpro Quote
For questions on compatibility I would call or write them. They have different models.
Frank

---------- Post added 01-03-21 at 10:21 AM ----------

I did find it necessary to first cut 4 thin slices of black tape, gorilla brand works best,and tape the unit in place.
Then I had to use a rubber band that loops around the ocular eye piece and then around the, new finders "boss", on it's left side. You can set the proper elastic tension by cutting and tying the Rubber band to were it counters the weight of the finder and keeps it where you place it. It all works very well. If you don't do this it will be easy to knock off and the viewfinder will just sag downward. I find it's usage intuitive and non-invasive, really a pleasures to use!
Frank
Now that you mention it, both tape and rubber band may be seen in the photos. I think one more image taken from the left side will complete the description.
01-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
Now that you mention it, both tape and rubber band may be seen in the photos. I think one more image taken from the left side will complete the description.
i will, this afternoon
01-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One other thing comes to mind from viewing the videos of this device: Are the 'mods' necessary in spite of the videos showing the magnetic attachment working (at least with some handling care) due to the 645Z's low friction display hinges? Are the magnet strips themselves too feeble for good handling? Gorilla tape will certainly preclude moving the device to its case after each use.
01-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #13

Original Poster
One other thing comes to mind from viewing the videos of this device: Are the 'mods' necessary in spite of the videos showing the magnetic attachment working (at least with some handling care) due to the 645Z's low friction display hinges? Are the magnet strips themselves too feeble for good handling? Gorilla tape will certainly preclude moving the device to its case after each use.
Yes i absolutely find the mods to be necessary. Yes the magnate is lacking. It will knock off if you just use the magnet. In fact they attached a safety cord. I removed the cord.
I do not need to put it in the case. It's fine folded while attached (taped) to the back. I find it provides the proper, light baffle and "design on glass" that I became use to with
traditional medium reflex viewing- photography. The rubber band while unorthodox on a $$$ camera, it simply works great! Swings and stays put. Maybe i'll change to a black band.

Also while working with "gorilla tape" if you need to remove or reposition the tape/viewer remember these flex view screens are delicate. One should consider this a permanent mod, if you are not a do it yourself kind of person, let a repair man attach it or remove it.

Frank
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo