Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do any Pentax K mount lenses cover crop digital medium format?

Some FF Canon EOS lenses cover digital crop medium format. Fuji even recommends using these lenses on their camera. So do any of the Pentax K mounts cover medium format?

Obviously, they wouldn't focus to infinity on the Pentax 645D/Z. But, would they cover on a mirrorless body?
Thanks,
barondla

01-08-2021, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, for crop frame medium format the one that comes immediately to mind would be the 28 shift. A rare bird.
01-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Typically shift lenses designed for 35mm cameras can be used on cameras with larger sensors.
Anything below 50mm will probably not work by design, unless it is a shift or PC lens. So the 28mm shift lens would work anything else is trial and error. Above 50mm there s typically no immediate physical limit to the image circle, so you may get an image, but vignetting and quality fall off towards the edges can be extreme - and improve then closing aperture.
01-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Obviously, they wouldn't focus to infinity on the Pentax 645D/Z. But, would they cover on a mirrorless body?
They will have the same image circle on Fuji-G as on Pentax K. The minimum image circle diameter would be 55mm for Fuji-G. Out curiosity, what Canon lenses were suggested by Fuji? Tilt/shift?

Steve

01-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They will have the same image circle on Fuji-G as on Pentax K. The minimum image circle diameter would be 55mm for Fuji-G. Out curiosity, what Canon lenses were suggested by Fuji? Tilt/shift?

Steve

I’m not finding anything outside these adapters which don’t require native image circle to cover larger than standard ef expected size:

Mount any Canon EF lens to Fujifilm's GFX cameras with Metabones new EF-GFX Smart Expander adapters

Fotodiox Canon to FUJIFILM GFX Autofocus Adapter with Variable ND - Newsshooter
01-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m not finding anything outside these adapters which don’t require native image circle to cover larger than standard ef expected size:
I am referring to the assertion in the original post.

Steve
01-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am referring to the assertion in the original post.

Steve
Yes. I get that. I’m saying I’m unable to find any references like the op mentioned. Other than via these adapters. It is absolutely possible that these new adapters make searching for the data harder and masks the list. I’m interested in the answer but can’t find anything so far.

01-08-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yes. I get that. I’m saying I’m unable to find any references like the op mentioned. Other than via these adapters. It is absolutely possible that these new adapters make searching for the data harder and masks the list. I’m interested in the answer but can’t find anything so far.
Got it...

On a hunch I did a search on DuckDuckG (fuji gfx canon lens) and found numerous references to use of Canon lenses using glassless adapters. Apparently image circle is adequate for many normal and telephoto primes, but less so for wide angles.

Best lenses for Canon EF on Fuji GFX 100: Medium Format Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

35mm Lenses on the Fujifilm GFX 50S | AKPO (This one is probably the better of the two.)

Steve
01-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got it...

On a hunch I did a search on DuckDuckG (fuji gfx canon lens) and found numerous references to use of Canon lenses using glassless adapters. Apparently image circle is adequate for many normal and telephoto primes, but less so for wide angles.

Best lenses for Canon EF on Fuji GFX 100: Medium Format Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

35mm Lenses on the Fujifilm GFX 50S | AKPO (This one is probably the better of the two.)

Steve
Ah! Thanks. I was mired in the adapter searches. I couldn’t find my way out!
01-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got it...

Steve
This is one of the lists I saw. 35 f 1.4 is amazing!

Thanks,
barondla
01-08-2021, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

DFA* 85/1.4 covers definitely 44x33 mm sensor. Some pictures were shot with this lens and Fuji GFX
01-09-2021, 06:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I vaguely recall that if one wants a fast wide-angle lens with a flat field (for corner focus) and telecentric focus (to minimize brightness fall-off vignetting due to ray angles), a correction lens is needed close to the focal plane. This would seem to require a mirrorless configuration.

The alternative is panning and stitching.