Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 67 - Meter Visibility Problem

On my Pentax 6x7 and its TTL prism, the meter needle and the little meter "window" have become really difficult to see. Like I have to move my eye around on a few different angles until they comes into view and sometimes they still don't.

One thing that may be connected is that when the prism is seated on the body (and then shutter dial rotated till the pin drops etc etc), I now see the two metal contact pins underneath the viewfinder on each side. See included picture. I can't remember if these two were visible before, but that seems like it's not right. What does it normally look like?

This might possibly be a similar problem to Pentax 67 TTL prism meter window not visible - PentaxForums.com ... then again with those contacts mentioned above, I'm not so sure.

I'm hoping it doesn't need repair and I've just forgotten something obvious or need to nudge it a certain way ...

Thanks in advance for any help, everyone!

Attached Images

01-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

remove the lens......then reseat the ttl prism housing........
you may have the glue problem with the mirror you pasted

also i can see the pins as such by the eye piece on mine
01-09-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the camera has received a solid jolt or knock, it is possible the black metal mask in the viewfinder fascia has slipped out of place. This can also occur if the prism has been dropped (which should absolutely be avoided, but is unfortunately very commonly seen). This would require disassembly of the TTL prism to access the viewfinder area and reset the mask to the correct position. As an experiment, and ensuring the prism if firmly mounted with no danger of coming off, hold the camera upside down and carefully shake it; if this action shows movement of the meter mask, that is what requires looking at.

The TTL meter pins shown in your photo do not appear to be seated fully. Has the foam baffle on the underside of the TTL prism recently been replaced? This (foam baffle replacement) can cause the meter pins to 'ride' higher and not provide contact. Correctly seated, only a very, very small amount of both pins is visible (see comparison pic). Also, check that the fascia holding down the focusing screen is fully screwed down. This should be done very carefully as on the older 6x7 cameras these screws are also used to calibrate the focus at 3 points around the central viewfinder (done after assembly of another focusing screen, or removal/reassembly of the lens mount flange).

01-10-2021, 01:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Could the issue be related to the fact the eyepiece seems to be missing?

Cheers!

Abbazz

01-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beside giving a blurry, awkward viewpoint, the absence of the knurled ring and default viewing lens shouldn't be a problem, though if it (no ring) is a permanent loss, the only improvement that can be made is to wear glasses, as I do, which effectively corrects the blur, but it remains an awkward workaround. Without the knurled ring there is an opportunity for the ingress of dust and moisture, additional to the loss of compensatory dioptric correction provided by the lens.
01-10-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Beside giving a blurry, awkward viewpoint, the absence of the knurled ring and default viewing lens shouldn't be a problem, though if it (no ring) is a permanent loss, the only improvement that can be made is to wear glasses, as I do, which effectively corrects the blur, but it remains an awkward workaround. Without the knurled ring there is an opportunity for the ingress of dust and moisture, additional to the loss of compensatory dioptric correction provided by the lens.
yes the moisture isn't good, i try to keep the camera out of the elements but still. i'll have to get that piece replaced once i figure out the other issue ...