Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #1

Problem With leaf shutter 90mm lense for p67

Hi guys,

My name is Freddie and I am new to the forum. I was told by Mark to ask my question on here.

I have a quick question. I bought the 90mm LS Lense for my 67 as I wanted to shoot flash photography at a faster sync speed. However I have tried two sync cables with calumet triggers and it doesnt seem to fire. However on the occasion when the metal touches the metal it works. Ive tested firing the leaf shutter by itself and that's all works perfectly it's just the flash when I attach the Calumet triggers to the Profoto B1 kit I use that doesnt always work

Could anyone recommend another sync cable or what to do.

All the best,
Fred

01-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fred are you saying the shutter won’t fire with the flash connected, or the flash won’t fire with the leaf shutter?

Also, does this flash fire in combination with other lenses using the focal plane shutter?
01-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

Take a look at the lens manual and see if that solves your flash issue:

Pentax 6x7 90mm Leaf Shutter Lens

Phil.

PS Let me know if you need a better scanned colour version of the manual.
01-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Fred are you saying the shutter won’t fire with the flash connected, or the flash won’t fire with the leaf shutter?

Also, does this flash fire in combination with other lenses using the focal plane shutter?
Hi Vanya, Thanks for getting back to me. the flash wont fire with the leaf shutter. My sync cable works on my body but ive tried numerous sync cables on the leaf shutter lense and itts not always working.

01-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick stisted Quote
Hi Vanya, Thanks for getting back to me. the flash wont fire with the leaf shutter. My sync cable works on my body but ive tried numerous sync cables on the leaf shutter lense and itts not always working.
Have you set the cameras shutter speed to 1/8 or lower?

Phil.
01-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Phil,

I know you dont need the body to test the lense as it has a shutter in it already
01-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Phil,

I know you dont need the body to test the lense as it has a shutter in it already
The lens is set on the "U" position as well?

Phil
01-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
yep I did indeed

01-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yep I did indeed
Do you have any other flashes that you could try, as well as different sync cables?

Phil.
01-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
I think it could be a loose connection within the lense...

Fred
6 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Strobe trigger voltage may be either too low or too high. The strobes would be more modern than the Pentax 6x7 / 67 cameras, and is worth checking this point.

As a working system (LS and strobes), not a lot can go wrong connecting strobes for higher sync speeds in LS mode. If the camera-side shutter speed is set to 1/8s, LS mode is turned on, the LS shutter cocked and the strobe(s) connected and ready, it should work as intended. If not, the cable could be suspect, and/or the trigger voltage. Trying another, or a new sync cable, may help. Do the strobes fire on another camera you have without fault?
6 Days Ago   #12

Original Poster
Hi Silent Street,

Ive been shooting on Profoto B1s for 2 years with my 67 and it has always worked perfectly with no faults. I have also used Calumet triggers which again never have faulted. I haven't tested the lense on the body as I didnt want to waste film and my Pentax can be tricked into fake firing as the number meter has been worn away, Also as the lense has a shutter in it I thought you can just test the lense with flash sync cable. I have 3 of the same sync cables which i have tried and still nothing....

however regarding your point about voltage I tried the B1s at 8/9/10 not 1/2/3/4/5.

What I havent tried is firing from the body whilst the leaf shutter lense is attached but having the sync cable attached to the body rather than the lense. Does that work? I only thought that in order to sync hi speed flash the trigger has to be attached to the lense rather than the body, but then again I could be wrong
5 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have tried unsuccessfully today (while it conveniently piddles down and blows trees over; geez, so windy even the magpies are walking...) to look for a tidbit of information in my archives that mention the requirement for either/both LS lenses to be mounted on the camera to facilitate a rounded earthing of the circuit. This information was given to me from the seller from whom I purchased my 165mm LS lens years ago. Anyway... a test should, very much, be undertaken with a roll of film -- any roll of film you an find, and it need only cost a buck and a half (at least from a memory long ago...). The Pentax 6x7 / 67 must have film loaded for the system to be in operational mode, save for the sly bypass method that people use to suspiciously eyeball the shutter in action; you no doubt know this from experience, but it struck me as odd you are 'testing' the lens while it is detached from the camera.

If no high speed sync is required with LS inactive, the flash sync cord can be connected to the X socket on the camera, and LS mode turned off on the lens so there is no misunderstanding (by the camera, not you!). Connecting the sync cord to the X socket on the camera while LS is active will fire the flash but not sync with the leaf shutter.

I still think there is an anomaly with the trigger voltage, or possibly a circuit fault within the LS lens (something I have never heard of, but we are scratching all scratchies here...).
5 Days Ago   #14

Original Poster
My theory was that because the lense has its own shutter I don't need the body to test the lense as the flash should sync/fire when testing the shutter on the lense itself...

So in my head It doesnt make sense that as the flash isnt firing when just testing the actual lense so it wont fire when attached to the body, how will that make a difference.

Re trigger voltage for me that makes no sense as my 67 body always takes the same power when using flash so the lense should be no different

I think I am going to take it to my repairers so he can dismantle it and have a look