Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #1

6x7 - film advance lever is stuck and the shutter depresses with no effect

Hi there - I've been enjoying a used Pentax 6x7 I bought from a seller in Japan. Two days ago, I was advancing a roll of Cinestil 800 film I have in the camera. Film felt like it advanced ok, maybe felt a little funny, but I can't recall. I went to press the shutter button and nothing. I'm able to press the button but nothing happens.

Battery light comes on - so battery is good, though I've ordered a replacement battery just in case.

I live very rural and can't seem to find anyone who knows the camera locally. Hoping someone here may be able to help.

I've attached some photos.

Thank you so much in advance. I'm happy to make a donation to this forum for the help.

Jason

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (2nd generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
01-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Make sure that your shutter speed dial is not between speeds.
01-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My first observation is the age of this camera — and it is very old, could unfortunately well be playing into a fault in the winding mechanism. I assume at this point that you have loaded the film to the START mark at the 120 point on the film guide rail, then advanced to the point where winding becomes stiffer and finalises with the shutter being cocked and the frame counter at 1? The shutter will not fire if the film is not advanced fully to cock the shutter.

As Desertscape mentioned above, make sure the shutter speed is not set into an in-between space.

Try this: in your photo, there is a recessed button on the left of the mirror box (viewed from the front).
Fetch a toothpick (not a sharp metal object!) and depress the inner button once (or complete a full wind-on sweep). Then attempt to fire the shutter, and wind-on normally (assuming film is loaded).
This is the standard reset procedure in the event of a jam, or a dead battery interfering with mirror/shutter operation.

If this doesn't fix things...

Repair, if required, could well exceed the value/what you paid for the camera. It might then be worth considering updating to the newer Pentax 67 dawning from the last days of the 1980s to the early 1990s. I do not recommend either the Pentax 6x7 or the much earlier Asahi Pentax 6x7 because these are going on well over 50 years, have no doubt seen brutal professional service early in their time. It is absolutely essential to suss out a looked-after specimen of more recent cameras. Buying from Japan may sound economical, but the sellers are very often not particularly au fait with transliteral English responses. Be careful.

Last edited by Silent Street; 01-17-2021 at 07:46 PM.
01-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the help so far. @Desertscape Shutter speed is not in between, that would have been great.

@silent street, a couple responses to your helpful advice.

1) re: film advance line: the film currently in the camera was advanced just before the start mark actually. about 1/2" before the start mark. i wasn't sure it was a big deal. maybe it is.

2) re: reset: i've pressed the reset and the shutter button won't fire and the camera won't wind. same "locked" feel.

3) re: purchase from japan: thankfully the seller has been helpful, but there are some communication problems. hoping I can get it fixed as I do enjoy this era of camera. if not, i may as you suggest look into a newer one.

01-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

Just try moving your shutter speed dial see if that helps.
01-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

One day when I advanced the film in my Pentax 67, the lever locked and I also couldn't press the shutter button. I took it in to my local camera shop. It turned out a fastener came out somewhere in the film advance mechanism. It's all good now.