Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2021, 03:40 AM   #1

Pentax 67 Frame Not Advancing - Halfway through Roll

Hi, I am looking for some help with my Pentax 67.
This has happened to me 3 times in a row, in the middle of shoots which has been quite frustrating.
I load the film, start shooting; and then at about the half way point of the 120 film, the film stops advancing. I can still fire, and use the lever (the lever isn't jammed); but the frame will not move up to the next number, and I can feel that the film inside is not winding anymore.

The first time this happened, I had no idea what to do so I took out the film, wasting my shots, and replaced the batteries and put a new roll in, and it started working again.
(So I assumed it was batteries)
The next time I very confused because I had just changed the batteries. I didn't have time to play around so I changed the batteries again (and had to waste the film inside as I had to remove it), and it worked again.
Now today, it happened again. The battery check shows that the battery is not dead. The film got stuck on 5.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix?
Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Read more at: Pentax 67 Frame Not Advancing - Halfway through Roll - PentaxForums.com

01-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That sucks. It sounds like a mechanical problem not a voltage problem.
01-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It could be the frame counter mechanism that uses a roller near the takeup roll.
01-20-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can you confirm positively that the leader of the film has engaged with the spike in the film take-up spool (right side of camera)? There would be a pre-punched hole in the leader for this purpose if using Fujifilm, but if it's Ilford or Kodak film, the hole must be made by you in the leader. Alternatively, a tiny piece of tape used to adhere the leader to the spool. Then pull the leader across until the START line aligns with the 120-mark on the film guide rail (above the shutter).

Also that the film pressure plate has been set to 120 and the side switch has also been set to 120.

The film counter roller mentioned in the foregoing posts (to the right of the shutter gate) is a very frail item; rotating it counterclockwise can actually ruin the delicate mechanism. In normal everyday use, nothing should go near it, definitely no fingers or playing.

01-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Silent Street,
I'm not sure what you mean about the pre-punched hole. I use Kodak Portra, I don't poke a hole in this and have never heard of doing so?
I feed it through the take up spool and yes I pull across until the arrows align with the 120 mark.
The pressure plate and side switch is set to 120.
I am still trying to figure out the problem...